Can someone explain to me Bama’s hatred for Fulmer?

Travis Carroll signed with Alabama. He later transferred to Florida and sang about what he knew. The car he had been given was repossessed. The violations involving Travis Carroll were included in the Notice of Infractions that Alabama received from the NCAA.

But it wasn't included in the final list of sanctions. If it had been, then Spurrier would have knowingly played an ineligible player.

The last 17 years say otherwise.
Another stupid post... you are on a roll. 2002-2006 wasn't great, but not a disaster. Fulmer had no role in the hiring of Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley or Butch Jones. The Pruitt hire is his baby, though. We'll see. Your posts do confirm, that Bama fans still have a stick up their butt about Fulmer. That makes me like him even more.

Another stupid post... you are on a roll. 2002-2006 wasn't great, but not a disaster. Fulmer had no role in the hiring of Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley or Butch Jones. The Pruitt hire is his baby, though. We'll see. Your posts do confirm, that Bama fans still have a stick up their butt about Fulmer. That makes me like him even more.

Fulmer went 10 years without a conference title before being let go. He allowed the game to pass him by. Had that not occurred, the hires you mentioned likely never happen.

Fulmer went 10 years without a conference title before being let go. He allowed the game to pass him by. Had that not occurred, the hires you mentioned likely never happen.
He also won the SEC East and 10 games in his next to last season. He also won the SEC East and 10 games in 2004 with wins over Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Maybe the game had passed him by, or maybe he just couldn't win big without Cutcliffe... he is still not to blame for what followed. At least until Pruitt was hired that is...

That is also not true. Fulmer and Tennessee made it publicly known that they weren't recruiting players in Memphis who they knew to either be on the take such as Kindal Moorehead and David Paine, or players who they knew were being peddled by their coaches such as Albert Means. Fulmer made a point of announcing through the recruiting services at the time (Tom Lemming and Allen Wallace) "we aren't in the running" for an instate player. That was code for "this guy is trouble". Fulmer kept Tennessee's nose clean. We did sign the big 3 out of Melrose in 1997 (Cedrick Wilson, Andre Lott and Kevin Taylor) but we did not pay for them. Was Tennessee completely clean in the 90's? Of course not, but we were not buying players.

Boosters giving players cash isnt the same as buying players but both were illegal. Half the SEC schools had boosters present everytime Melrose, Westwood, Trezevant, and Millington played. I saw that with my own eyes (Melrose, Trez, WW were all cross regional teams) and Millington was local rival that we played annually.

You were 1000% right on Paine and Moorehead.

And the fact is that Tennessee wound up much worse of than Bama. What used to be the most important rivalry in the SEC has been diminished to the point that it's almost an afterthought. If a Bama fan needs to rage against Fulmer in order to get excited for this game, I can understand where he's coming from. I'm not personally in that camp, but I understand.

You can ‘understand where he is coming from’? How adorable. Bammer was flouting rules, buying players, generally being a dirty program.

Fulmer knew it and dimes you out. And you justify anger against the guy who caught you cheating?

LMAO. Bammer logic. I don’t care how many points you win by on Saturday, you tried to buy Means, you got caught, and somehow you hate the person who helped turn you in.

If it weren’t so pitiful, it would be laughable.

Thankfully, most Bama fans I know and count as friends acknowledge what happened and blame their own admin and boosters. A big reason I still have respect for the program.

Not saying you're completely wrong, but Tuberville owned us worse than Fulmer, and a buch of Bama fans are about to vote for him for the US Senate.

Mind you, it's not like I'm Bama fans would have Phil on our Christmas card list but for his involvement with the NCAA.

NO....that is absolutely NOT TRUE....you're showing your BAMA ignorance in spades....

NO team in the history of the NCAA has ever beaten BAMA 7 STRAIGHT YEARS....EXCEPT FULMER'S TENNESSEE VOLS!!!

That's just a fact!

You can ‘understand where he is coming from’? How adorable. Bammer was flouting rules, buying players, generally being a dirty program.

And winning. Don't forget winning.

Fulmer knew it and dimes you out. And you justify anger against the guy who caught you cheating?

Like I said, I'm not angry. Everything worked out.

LMAO. Bammer logic. I don’t care how many points you win by on Saturday, you tried to buy Means, you got caught, and somehow you hate the person who helped turn you in.

See? As opposing fans, we just reached common ground: I get to watch Bama win and you get a sense of moral satisfaction because Tennessee loses "the right way." Everyone winds up happy!

NO....that is absolutely NOT TRUE....you're showing your BAMA ignorance in spades....

NO team in the history of the NCAA has ever beaten BAMA 7 STRAIGHT YEARS....EXCEPT FULMER'S TENNESSEE VOLS!!!

That's just a fact!

That is a fact.

7 wins in a row... That's kinda cute.

That is a fact.

7 wins in a row... That's kinda cute.

and you left out 10 out of his last 13......

What was kinda cute was your ignorance...or flat out Bammite stupidity in claiming Tuberville had more success than Fulmer.
Being a Bammite...it's pretty obvious that you don't value the truth very much....

and you left out 10 out of his last 13......

What was kinda cute was your ignorance...or flat out Bammite stupidity in claiming Tuberville had more success than Fulmer.
Being a Bammite...it's pretty obvious that you don't value the truth very much....

Call it recency bias: I'm 36, and Fulmer's 7th win was literally half of my life ago.

Winning at all costs. Breaking rules. Being a wise-@$$ about it.

Truly why people despise your fan base. As I said, luckily I know Bama fans who don’t share your casual attitude toward your program's ethics.

Bless your heart.

Last edited:
Must be a sad existence to live on another team's message board and attempt- and mostly fail- to make points regarding a program most of us care little about. But, I guess that activity is more harmless than poisoning majestic oak trees.

Reactions: Type Orange+
His teams beat them.

He reminds them of a time when they weren’t good

He didn’t play don’t ask don’t tell

See? As opposing fans, we just reached common ground: I get to watch Bama win and you get a sense of moral satisfaction because Tennessee loses "the right way." Everyone winds up happy!
Doesn't this sentiment kind of undercut your success? Sort of like saying you didn't really win or couldn't have if you hadn't cheated -- big vote of confidence for your players.

Reactions: rjd970
-------

The Gumps went after Fulmer because they knew as many others that Fulmer was running an academic fraud system to keep the dumb ones eligible. Internet search Robin Wright and Bensel-Meyers who is quoted,

"Here is the lesson to be learned from this history: academic improprieties will stop when all academic tutoring within the Office of Student Life is overseen by an academic official from the (university) campus and not someone involved in sports management within the athletics department,"

One example of Fulmer's system was Travis Henry. You know the guy doing 20 plus in prison for very serious drug crimes, father 11 kids with 10 different mothers. Like many less-than-intelligent former NFL players ended up with nothing after a lengthy pro football career.
Travis Henry rushed for over 4,000 yards his senior year at Frostproof High School and not one of the Florida Big 3 (UF, Miami or EVEN FSU) talked with him. Why? It was well known that he was literally dumb as a rock and absent any moral fiber. Surprised was EVERYONE that UT somehow got him eligible and surprised no one that UT kept him eligible via Fulmer's academic fraud system.

SOS was leading the pack against BAMA but SOS was running a squeaking clean program and was not being a hypocrite.
SOS always ran a clean program, period. It's why his recruiting classes were always ranked lower than FSU and many others despite sitting right in the heart of a recruiting hotbed.

After UT had to clean up the academic fraud system Fulmer had to direct his attention to the legit "student athlete." This was the start of Fulmer's downfall.
A Gator bashing the intelligence of a kid who was raised in Florida and wanted him super bad and is butthurt so gonna pin point the guys issues. Lol

I could care less what a butch of inbred, knuckle dragging Bammers think!!

tenor.gif

Couldn't care less*

The Gumps that dislike Fulmer are mostly middle age to older, i.e. those that had to endure the frequent beatings by the Fulmer led Vols and those that worshipped Bear Bryant. Bryant was a self professed proud cheater who helped land A&M on probation. His former players and coaches in Gumpville- Charley Pell, Danny Ford, Pat Dye, Mike Dubose, Jackie Sherill, Gene Stallings and others-led programs that all committed major violations and landed on probation. Because Bear cheated, I think a lot of older Gumps thought it was acceptable, and it annoyed them when Fulmer played a small part in getting them sanctioned. Large scale cheating was in Bama's DNA. To their credit, they finally hired an outsider in Saban who is smart enough to win while creating a culture of rules compliance on his staff.

12-5 Something like 7 in a row ('95-2001). Plus Fulmer and others reporting their cheating ways to the NCAA.

A Gator bashing the intelligence of a kid who was raised in Florida and wanted him super bad and is butthurt so gonna pin point the guys issues. Lol

Not accurate. But rather a VOL calling a spade a spade.
The Gumps hatred of Fulmer had everything to do with the hypocrisy demonstrated by Fulmer given the reality that he was running an academic fraud system for athletes to remain eligible to play. This I know first hand having taught courses at UT during this time frame and having a close friend working in the athletic department. There's a reason it's called the Fulmer Cup. Fulmer was not a great recruiter per se. He signed the 4 and 5 star guys who were avoided by most other schools due to character and academic issues. Once his so-called academic lab was exposed his recruiting took a major hit and so too did his W/L record.

To add perspective to Fulmer's 7 year winning streak the Gumps were 49-34 during this period.
Fulmer wasn't exactly beating good BAMA teams.
Conversely, SOS dominanted UT during a reign of great UT teams. Peyton never beat UF.
I agree that Saturday's game can be discounted in the W/L column given the current state of both programs.

That doesn't make any sense. We weren't under any scrutiny from the NCAA during Fulmer's last five seasons. Fulmer's interview with investigator Richard Johanningmeier was welcomed by the NCAA. Fulmer's recruiting did go down hill beginning in 2006 and continuing through his last class in 2008, which was a disaster... but this had nothing to do with it.
Well they let Rodney garner get away to Georgia. That really hurt recruiting, don’t know why this happened. Probably wouldn’t pay him. I believe Kiffin tried to hire him back but he stayed at ga. Till auburn hired him.

Reactions: Voltopia

VN Store

Back