Can someone explain to me Bama’s hatred for Fulmer?

And the fact is that Tennessee wound up much worse of than Bama. What used to be the most important rivalry in the SEC has been diminished to the point that it's almost an afterthought. If a Bama fan needs to rage against Fulmer in order to get excited for this game, I can understand where he's coming from. I'm not personally in that camp, but I understand.

They have been raging about Fulmer in the years he wasn’t a coach or AD as well. Face it, the name “Fulmer” just triggers Bama fans and there is no factual based reality in which it has anything to do with him being the cause they went on probation.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Who are you trying to kid? There has been many a vol thread that has taken up bandwidth over here about how fulmer got his HC gig. How he's being portrayed by Bama fans is altogether in line with many a Vol that has had his say about this guy's character flaws over the years. That's no accident or just someone having a bad day. Coach Majors has never reminded me of a guy that goes out of his way about ostracizing people. But his reaction to this guy's tactics has been a source of deep, bitter consternation since the coup happened. Thinking that a college football fan has to travel all the way to Tuscaloosa for a unique perspective into this guy's character is fundamentally flawed. Check your own bandwidth?
Yeah, and “thu Bahr” was a scummy racist, so what’s your point? We all have our flaws, I guess.
GBO!!

When all is said and done, regardless of what happens on the football field on Saturday night, we get to live in Tennessee and support the University of Tennessee.

And they'll still be bammers.

I wouldn't trade places with them
39005E57-FB54-40F8-B39F-A8E2A2D6E0C7.png39005E57-FB54-40F8-B39F-A8E2A2D6E0C7.pngD2875291-3304-45E4-824B-61BE0980E56C.jpeg

At this point, it's not worth hating Fulmer. He did way more damage to Tennessee than he could have dreamt of doing to Alabama.

Says the guy wiping his brow in hindsight whose "institution of higher learning" had Rich Rodriguez as #1 on their wish list.

They have been raging about Fulmer in the years he wasn’t a coach or AD as well. Face it, the name “Fulmer” just triggers Bama fans and there is no factual based reality in which it has anything to do with him being the cause they went on probation.

Not arguing otherwise.

I believe Spurrier also discussed Bama’s cheating. Don’t recall the extent, but do remember hearing he basically told Mike Dubose he and every other coach knew what they were doing and insinuated he’d be happy to talk to the NCAA. Maybe @99gator or @Lawrence Wright know more about it.

Fulmer was initially blamed for turning Bama in but thought it finally came out that Spurrier was the one.
Spurrier was the media darling about that time so they let Fulmer take all the heat .
A shame Tennstud (R.I.P.) is still not around to tell all the nasty details

Reactions: Type Orange+
In the mid 90s, everyone was cheating in the Memphis area (UT included). I saw academic (ACT fraud) with my own eyes. I saw Logan Young with Tim Thompson (Melrose coach) and a handful of Melrose players at the original Gus's Fried Chicken ( I dated a girl who lived in Mason). Bama was done in because they were getting too blatant with their cheating (Gallaway, Means, Dennis Alexander)...

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I believe Spurrier also discussed Bama’s cheating. Don’t recall the extent, but do remember hearing he basically told Mike Dubose he and every other coach knew what they were doing and insinuated he’d be happy to talk to the NCAA. Maybe @99gator or @Lawrence Wright know more about it.

Spurrier was never heavily involved in Memphis while at UF. He ratted Bama out thinking it would take UT down with them. We had rogue boosters as well, we just werent as over the top blatant as Bama...

The funniest thing was the school that got in the most trouble (UK) probably paid the less (1,400) to get what ended up being the highest NFL draft pick (Dewayne Robertson)

Reactions: Vol737
Spurrier was never heavily involved in Memphis while at UF. He ratted Bama out thinking it would take UT down with them. We had rogue boosters as well, we just werent as over the top blatant as Bama...

Spurrier didn't know about Means. He actually ratted Bama out over the wrong guy. That's why Dubose thought he was in the clear because when Spurrier confronted him we hadn't actually paid the guy in question. Nutt and Fulmer knew about Means, though.

Phil kicked bama's a.. As a player, a coach, and testifying at ncaa heading on a Bama supporter's illegal payments to a high school coach with a player from Memphis Bama wanted badly.Other than that,nothing.Also, Bama just sucks!

Spurrier didn't know about Means. He actually ratted Bama out over the wrong guy. That's why Dubose thought he was in the clear because when Spurrier confronted him we hadn't actually paid the guy in question. Nutt and Fulmer knew about Means, though.
I don't think you know what you are talking about at all. You are stating misinformation as fact... and counting on nobody knowing any better because this has been so long ago. Spurrier wasn't recruiting Memphis, but Alabama's cheating wasn't exclusive to Memphis. Steve Spurrier's involvement arose through the recruitment of an outside linebacker from Jacksonville, Florida named Travis Carroll. While both Alabama and Florida were recruiting Carroll in 1999, Alabama boosters gave Carroll the use of a car for agreeing to attend Alabama. This car was later repossessed when Carroll transferred to Florida. That is where Spurrier became involved. It had nothing at all to do with Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
In the mid 90s, everyone was cheating in the Memphis area (UT included). I saw academic (ACT fraud) with my own eyes. I saw Logan Young with Tim Thompson (Melrose coach) and a handful of Melrose players at the original Gus's Fried Chicken ( I dated a girl who lived in Mason). Bama was done in because they were getting too blatant with their cheating (Gallaway, Means, Dennis Alexander)...
That is also not true. Fulmer and Tennessee made it publicly known that they weren't recruiting players in Memphis who they knew to either be on the take such as Kindal Moorehead and David Paine, or players who they knew were being peddled by their coaches such as Albert Means. Fulmer made a point of announcing through the recruiting services at the time (Tom Lemming and Allen Wallace) "we aren't in the running" for an instate player. That was code for "this guy is trouble". Fulmer kept Tennessee's nose clean. We did sign the big 3 out of Melrose in 1997 (Cedrick Wilson, Andre Lott and Kevin Taylor) but we did not pay for them. Was Tennessee completely clean in the 90's? Of course not, but we were not buying players.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don't think you know what you are talking about at all. You are stating misinformation as fact... and counting on nobody knowing any better because this has been so long ago. Spurrier wasn't recruiting Memphis, but Alabama's cheating wasn't exclusive to Memphis. Steve Spurrier's involvement arose through the recruitment of an outside linebacker from Jacksonville, Florida named Travis Carroll. While both Alabama and Florida were recruiting Carroll in 1999, Alabama boosters gave Carroll the use of a car for agreeing to attend Alabama. This car was later repossessed when Carroll transferred to Florida. That is where Spurrier became involved. It had nothing at all to do with Tennessee.

I never said it had to do with Tennessee. It had to do with a player other than Means that didn't sign with Bama. And I think you're twisting the story there, because Carroll was offered the car, but didn't get it after he signed with UF. The "repossession" story seems like one of those things that gets inflated over time. Given that Bama got slapped for Means and Kenny Smith, if there had been any legitimate legs to the Carroll story, they would have hit us for that, too.

My point in mentioning this is because numerous posters have claimed that Spurrier turned Bama in for the Means business. That is simply inaccurate.

I never said it had to do with Tennessee. It had to do with a player other than Means that didn't sign with Bama. And I think you're twisting the story there, because Carroll was offered the car, but didn't get it after he signed with UF. The "repossession" story seems like one of those things that gets inflated over time. Given that Bama got slapped for Means and Kenny Smith, if there had been any legitimate legs to the Carroll story, they would have hit us for that, too.

My point in mentioning this is because numerous posters have claimed that Spurrier turned Bama in for the Means business. That is simply inaccurate.
Travis Carroll signed with Alabama. He later transferred to Florida and sang about what he knew. The car he had been given was repossessed. The violations involving Travis Carroll were included in the Notice of Allegations that Alabama received from the NCAA.

VN Store

Back