Softball Fall Preview

Anyone there that could give an accounting of our pitching? Milloy seems to have power to all fields which is nice.
Rogers pitches the first half of the game, and she looked solid as usual.
Turner pitched maybe one inning? She has a lot of potential, but threw a few wild pitches, which makes me nervous.
Hazelwood pitched an inning and I thought she looked very composed.
Since this was the first game we played a decent team, I was disappointed that they didn’t play the new freshmen more to get that experience.
I guess we technically “won” in the end, but at the end of 7 innings we were down 7-1, so it would’ve been a loss. Duke pitching looked good, and our girls couldn’t hit until the 8th/9th innings, which we obviously would never have played if it wasn’t a pre-scheduled 10 inning game.
I love these girls but would love to see more confidence and determination at the plate against good pitching.

Last edited:
What pitcher did Duke get their runs off of and how did they get them? I like that we can explode at the plate and score in bunches looking for Milloy to hit about 20 out this coming season maybe Phillips can do the same. Then you wonder what Seggern and Shipman will do this could be our best hitting team in years.

This is Duke's write up on the game: Duke Jumps out on Tennessee 7-1 but Falls in 10 innings - Duke University
Quotes of note: "We absolutely dominated Tennessee both offensively and defensively for eight innings," head coach Marissa Young said"
"After shaking up the line-up in the ninth inning, Tennessee scored seven to take an 8-7 lead heading into the last inning. The Vols added one more in the bottom of the tenth to take make it a 9-7 final in favor of the hosts."
Would be interesting to note what those changes were.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Because who we were playing could have been some of the reason for the domination and who we were pitching. They might not do as well if Rogers throws the entire game or we put our best lineup in there. The fact that we can shake up the lineup and score 8 runs in two innings is encouraging.

Because who we were playing could have been some of the reason for the domination and who we were pitching. They might not do as well if Rogers throws the entire game or we put our best lineup in there. The fact that we can shake up the lineup and score 8 runs in two innings is encouraging.
To be fair, Rogers threw most of the game, but pitching wasn’t the issue then— it was hitting. The only freshmen that hit in the starting lineup were Meloy and Webber. Otherwise, we had our veteran better hitters out there for the better part of the game. Holcomb, Phillips, Seggern, Parsons, Ayala, Osbron. (Shipman didn’t play.)
I’m not trying to be negative, but realistic. I was there- the hitting was unimpressive against this team until the end. The Duke article was right- they absolutely dominated until the 8th.
I do think, however, that they have a LOT of talent and the talent is absolutely there. They just looked uncertain. If the coaches step it up and keep working with them, they’ll be amazing. I was unimpressed last fall season, and they did a lot better in regular season based off what I saw in the fall. So it’s just kinks they’re working out!

Said it before, will say it again. Trying to determine anything about a team based on Fall Ball is a lesson in futility. Two years ago, Tennessee hit three home runs the entire fall and went on to have one of the most productive HR seasons ever.

The one thing you can tell is that they're going to rely on a few freshmen, which will lead to wildly inconsistent performances at times.

To be fair, Rogers threw most of the game, but pitching wasn’t the issue then— it was hitting. The only freshmen that hit in the starting lineup were Meloy and Webber. Otherwise, we had our veteran better hitters out there for the better part of the game. Holcomb, Phillips, Seggern, Parsons, Ayala, Osbron. (Shipman didn’t play.)
I’m not trying to be negative, but realistic. I was there- the hitting was unimpressive against this team until the end. The Duke article was right- they absolutely dominated until the 8th.
I do think, however, that they have a LOT of talent and the talent is absolutely there. They just looked uncertain. If the coaches step it up and keep working with them, they’ll be amazing. I was unimpressed last fall season, and they did a lot better in regular season based off what I saw in the fall. So it’s just kinks they’re working out!

Thanks for the info and I don't mean to take issue with what you said but if the Lady Vols gave up 6 runs in 7 innings it seems to me that pitching was somewhat of an issue. Rogers is usually pretty hard to hit consistently but if she gave up those runs or the majority of them, then either Duke hits extremely well or Rogers was off her typical form. In any event, its fall ball, nothing to worry about at this point.

I was talking to a parent of one of the girls and he was telling me about someone who puts the games on the app periscope. Does anyone know how to join that group or find it? The name of the group is 2019-2020 LV Softball but it won’t pull up for me.

VN Store

Back