‘20 SC PF P.J. Hall

I know Hall has a family connection at Florida. I think there's a coaching connection at VA Tech, like his dad played for the VA Tech coach or something like that. I think the Hokies are the competition here since Florida may be out of it.

Yes, if you hadn’t seen it. His dad was an all state type player in Kingsport and went to Wofford where the current VTech coach was an assistant at the time. Even though PJ’s immediate family moved, his extended family still lives in Kingsport.

This is shaping up to be fantastic. Never guaranteed, but I feel really good where we are with him, especially with other players commited and Barnes as coach.

Last edited:
i went to dorman high school, had the basketball coach as a history teacher (common practice in south carolina), and he's said it is down to tech, UF and Tennessee but he doesn't know or won't tell me which he's leaning toward.

Florida has room for 1 more...Samson Ruzhentsev is announcing tomorrow and CB’s are rolling in for Florida and are 100% to UF...Niels Lane a SG is announcing in 4 days and CB’s have all come in for UF and are 100% to Gators, so that would put them over by 1. Maybe they are willing to oversign by more than that, but I would think they’d be hesitant.

Florida has room for 1 more...Samson Ruzhentsev is announcing tomorrow and CB’s are rolling in for Florida and are 100% to UF...Niels Lane a SG is announcing in 4 days and CB’s have all come in for UF and are 100% to Gators, so that would put them over by 1. Maybe they are willing to oversign by more than that, but I would think they’d be hesitant.
Keep in mind that there are some families that are well off enough that they don't need nor want the scholarship, and others that earn an academic scholarship; UF has had a few such players in recent years... we always look at their offer lists for clues, like offers from the usual suspect prestigious academic schools like Stanford and VU... I don't know that any of these current recruits qualify, but it's not unusual at all.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Keep in mind that there are some families that are well off enough that they don't need nor want the scholarship, and others that earn an academic scholarship; UF has had a few such players in recent years... we always look at their offer lists for clues, like offers from the usual suspect prestigious academic schools like Stanford and VU... I don't know that any of these current recruits qualify, but it's not unusual at all.

I’m curious who these recent examples at UF are? Also, while that’s possible I don’t necessarily see it being the case with 2 players...you’re also not allowed to be recruited like these guys were and then walk-on, so that kind of shoots a hole in that theory.

I’m not saying that UF is out on Hall, I don’t think they are, but I also don’t think Hall is a forgone conclusion or a silent commitment to UF like many thought he was.

Reactions: BreatheUT
If any of these guys are what the NCAA considers "recruited" athletes (coach's visits, evaluations, organized campus visits), then they cannot receive academic financial aid and play a sport, I don't believe. That rule is meant to prevent schools from abusing the use of academic funds to stack athletic teams beyond scholarship limits.

I don't believe there is a rule prohibiting a player from paying his own way to school, and then walking on to a team as a "recruited" athlete. That is what is considered a preferred walk-on, as I understand it. There are, perhaps, several cases of that, but I'd guess there are fewer in basketball than say, football.

This is probably a question for @BruinVol.

I know you're a gator fan so you by nature just assume everyone will go out of their way to play for Florida, but it would be pretty unprecedented for them to over recruit by 2 and expect both of them to pay their own way. Florida is not Duke, Kentucky, or UNC. I see very little reason why they would choose to do that when there are plenty of other great schools (not necessarily TN) that are offering them full-rides to play for them.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think they still have eliminated on the number players they can dress for games. I don’t know what that number is. If they didn’t, h
Harvard would buy the best team in the world.

I’ll say what the others won’t. I don’t think you know WTF you are talking about.

Is this the Eric Berry paying for his brothers argument? It almost never happens.

Pretty confident that PJ Hall will be on D1 scholarship.

Reactions: walkenvol
Is this the Eric Berry paying for his brothers argument? It almost never happens.

Pretty confident that PJ Hall will be on D1 scholarship.
While I agree with the overall premise of your post, to be fair to our Gator friend, he didn't explicitly say it would be Hall who was walking on. Just that it was possible someone could elect to pay their own way.

That being said, it really is a silly idea because all three are clearly going P6 somewhere for free, so the idea that any of them love Florida enough to go play and pay their own way isn't really feasible. They all have better options than that, and it won't cost them $180k.

While I agree with the overall premise of your post, to be fair to our Gator friend, he didn't explicitly say it would be Hall who was walking on. Just that it was possible someone could elect to pay their own way.

That being said, it really is a silly idea because all three are clearly going P6 somewhere for free, so the idea that any of them love Florida enough to go play and pay their own way isn't really feasible. They all have better options than that, and it won't cost them $180k.

Yea, I wasn't really thinking about anyone else. But, most players that have an offer from UF also have other P5 offers. This kind of talk is just fan talk. Just doesn't happen. Sometimes, it could happen with a transfer but in specific situations.

I know you're a gator fan so you by nature just assume everyone will go out of their way to play for Florida, but it would be pretty unprecedented for them to over recruit by 2 and expect both of them to pay their own way. Florida is not Duke, Kentucky, or UNC. I see very little reason why they would choose to do that when there are plenty of other great schools (not necessarily TN) that are offering them full-rides to play for them.
I'm not suggesting Hall wouldn't get a scholarship; I'm saying other players (like graduate transfers) might agree to go the preferred walk-on route to make additional room. I know the topic was discussed on Gator boards regarding Egor Koulechov, Canyon Barry, Schuyler Rimmer, and Alex Murphy in recent years. I don't know all the details of how we made the numbers work.

And I have no clue where Hall is going, or leaning for that matter, beyond what I read on all the sites, just like most everyone else. Some of the most interesting stuff comes from members here who know or know of the kid and his family.

Corey Evans who has long been pretty firm about Hall to Florida is now forecasting Hall to Virginia Tech. That may be true, but at the very least it means Hall is open and not a lock to Florida. Will be interesting to see if we pull Springer this weekend if then the staff along with the 3 commits all go full court press on Hall.

I'm not suggesting Hall wouldn't get a scholarship; I'm saying other players (like graduate transfers) might agree to go the preferred walk-on route to make additional room. I know the topic was discussed on Gator boards regarding Egor Koulechov, Canyon Barry, Schuyler Rimmer, and Alex Murphy in recent years. I don't know all the details of how we made the numbers work.

And I have no clue where Hall is going, or leaning for that matter, beyond what I read on all the sites, just like most everyone else. Some of the most interesting stuff comes from members here who know or know of the kid and his family.
Did any of the guys you just listed actually become walk-on’s and forfeit their scholarships?

Did any of the guys you just listed actually become walk-on’s and forfeit their scholarships?
Don't know; with the numbers crunch we were in, I don't see how 1 or more couldn't have... I know it was too complicated to commit to memory. :D

If Hall goes to V-Tech, and Springer commits to UT, do you think this class is done, or do they continue to pursue a big?

Reactions: sport3500
If Hall goes to V-Tech, and Springer commits to UT, do you think this class is done, or do they continue to pursue a big?
They will continue pursuing bigs. Dylan Cardwell, Bradley Ezewiro, Hunter Dickinson, among others. Maybe try to sneak back in on Josh Hall, but that is probably too late. It's possible that Paolo Banchero reclassifies to 2020, as well.

Dylan Cardwell & Bradley Ezewiro are the 2 I would monitor...we’ve offered and recruited both, both have taken OV’s but have yet to commit anywhere...I think the staff pretty clearly prefers Hall but if they don’t get good vibes off his OV I wouldn’t be shocked to see them try to schedule OV’s for those guys.

There's also another 2021 4-Star big man, I forget his name, that is taking a visit here soon that might reclassify to 2020. So there will be plenty of options should Hall not come here.

VN Store

Back