The Future Is Bright

It's getting just a touch old that so many on Vol Nation have gone to the depths of depression. Even a slightly positive spin gets slammed as Sunshine Pumping. For me, I'm still optimistic about Pruitt. Yes, the Ga State game was horrible (I was there). The coaching was scary bad. And, the loss should not have happened. Heck, half the time, the players didn't know how to line up.

But, I do believe we have a top notch coaching staff that needs to gel. Yes, Pruitt is still learning on the job. Our DC is learning on the job at the college level., With all that, Pruitt overall has way more potential than Butch can dream of at game day coaching and the Recruiting ability is there. This was always going to be a longer build with a 'top notch' coach not knocking down our door to come here (i.e. Mullen going to Florida).

I don't agree. We just need a better QB and our offense will be reasonable. and the defense is continuing to improve. It will be better.

There will be children playing everywhere, including QB.

While people pick on Butch's recruiting (and for good reason), I'm not sure you have people in place who are better than the guys who will leave. Who replaces Jennings and Callaway? Bituli? Taylor? Wood-Anderson? I'd be the first to tell you that these guys ain't exactly lighting it up, but what's behind them. Same goes for people like Warrior. You would think losing Warrior would be addition by subtraction, but they keep running him out there for a reason.

It's getting just a touch old that so many on Vol Nation have gone to the depths of depression. Even a slightly positive spin gets slammed as Sunshine Pumping. For me, I'm still optimistic about Pruitt. Yes, the Ga State game was horrible (I was there). The coaching was scary bad. And, the loss should not have happened. Heck, half the time, the players didn't know how to line up.

But, I do believe we have a top notch coaching staff that needs to gel. Yes, Pruitt is still learning on the job. Our DC is learning on the job at the college level., With all that, Pruitt overall has way more potential than Butch can dream of at game day coaching and the Recruiting ability is there. This was always going to be a longer build with a 'top notch' coach not knocking down our door to come here (i.e. Mullen going to Florida).

People just want to see some evidence.

I can say that the offensive line has no doubt improved. there is no question about that. Now, it's still not great and the unit was so bad it couldn't help but be better. But, I think we have proof improvement.

I can't say that about anything on the defensive side of the ball.

Op I love that you’re an optimistic guy but I’m just curious what evidence you’ve seen to make you believe we’re improving or that the future is bright. We’re without question worse today than we were last season at this time. You can’t dispute that can you? I honestly don’t know how you could say this isn’t one of the worst Tennessee teams ever. It’s the worst I’ve seen it since I’ve been a fan. I became a fan when I moved here as a 13 year old kid in 1993. With Pruitt being in his second season I just can’t believe the team is regressing. It was surprising to me that there was no qb competition. Pruitt himself said that the only position not in question was at qb. But we all saw absolutely horrific qb play from jg last year so that was surprising. It was also concerning the way Pruitt seemed to be so out of touch with his team to start the year. How could could he have had no inclination that we were ready to play? And how could he possibly just stand there on the sidelines showing no emotion or sense of urgency as the game against ga state was slipping away. Also concerning is that I can’t ever remember a recruiting class being so bad at this point in the cycle. In years past we’ve been hovering around the top 10 right now with a couple of big fish potentially come signing day. But most of this year we’ve been out of the top 25 all together. Sonwith the current state of the team, the recruiting class, and a coach that’s making a fool of himself (and is) on a national stage...what in the hell makes you think we’re getting better and the future is bright? And I’m legitimately interested in your response. Not trying to be mean about it. I just feel the complete opposite

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Op I live that your an optimistic guy but I’m just curious what evidence you’ve seen to make you believe we’re improving or that the future is bright. We’re without question worse today than we were last season at this time. You can’t dispute that can you? I honestly don’t know how you could say this isn’t one of the worst Tennessee teams ever. It’s the worst I’ve seen it since I’ve been a fan. I became a fan when I moved here as a 13 year old kid in 1993. With Pruitt being in his second season I just can’t believe the team is regressing. It was surprising to me that there was no qb competition. Pruitt himself said that the only position not in question was at qb. But we all saw absolutely horrific qb play from jg last year so that was surprising. It was also concerning the way Pruitt seemed to be so out of touch with his team to start the year. How could could he have had no inclination that we were ready to play? And how could he possibly just stand there on the sidelines showing no emotion or sense of urgency as the game against ga state was slipping away. Also concerning is that I can’t ever remember a recruiting class being so bad at this point in the cycle. In years past we’ve been hovering around the top 10 right now with a couple of big fish potentially come signing day. But most of this year we’ve been out of the top 25 all together. Sonwith the current state of the team, the recruiting class, and a coach that’s making a fool of himself (and is) on a national stage...what in the hell makes you think we’re getting better and the future is bright? And I’m legitimately interested in your response. Not trying to be mean about it. I just feel the complete opposite
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

some should be ashamed of themselves...OP is just trying to show some optimism and he gets spit on...better be glad I can't reach through this screen...I might tell ya momma anyway...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE DAWGS!

A 31 point loss to Florida is considered coming into their own at Tennessee. Awesome

I think our fan base is so shell shocked that they don’t know what to say anymore.
I think people really thought that JG would be better under Chaney.
And we thought that Ansley and Pruitt would put together a decent defense.
But Georgia State changed everyone’s perspective and, for some, complete despair and/or apathy has set in.

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
I think our fan base is so shell shocked that they don’t know what to say anymore.
But Georgia State changed everyone’s perspective and, for some, complete despair and/or apathy has set in.

That's probably the dumbest part of this season outside the GA ST loss.

Hard to think he shouldn't have improved under Chaney. I wasn't a massive fan of the hire but the guy does have the back ground of grooming QBs.

Reactions: livefaith
When Pruitt called us the Titanic, half the fanbase headed for the lifeboats and the other half headed for the bar. Just like the movie.

I understand people wanting to cling to any glimmer of hope. But when you make statements like coming into their own, turning a corner etc, the only reliable evidence to back that up is field performance. Practice and coach speak dont matter at all. As Delanie Walker said after the browns game, talk all you want they still gotta play football. The last time on the field we were dominated by a not so good Florida team. And the only qb to lead a scoring drive was promptly taken out of the game by our head coach.

The future is bright. This team is improving. It is a young team, but it is coming into its own. Tomorrow is better than yesterday. There is a big hill to climb, but the Vols can do it.

Can you show me where the “team” is improving?

VN Store

Back