Fulmer Backs Pruitt

Well when you find another saban out there I'll pitch in to get him to Tennessee.
I agree there may not be another Saban but I can guarantee you we can do better than what we did. Les Miles or Mike Leach would have come. Either one of those would have been better choices. They may not have led us to championships But I believe they would have provided stability because they both have head coaching experience, I believe the transition would have been smoother. You don't pick a rookie coach that has never even coached at the high school level to come in here and try to rebuild a program from ashes. That's not very intelligent.

I know. This mentality is the death of this program.
I see what you’re saying but fans don’t have as much to do with it as they like to think. It’s the mentality of the program’s administration that kills a program.

I agree there may not be another Saban but I can guarantee you we can do better than what we did. Les Miles or Mike Leach would have come. Either one of those would have been better choices. They may not have led us to championships But I believe they would have provided stability because they both have head coaching experience, I believe the transition would have been smoother. You don't pick a rookie coach that has never even coached at the high school level to come in here and try to rebuild a program from ashes. That's not very intelligent.

I kinda agree with most of what you said, but I also think we need to give Pruitt a little time to see if he can turn things around. It may be wishful thinking but I think he just might be able to.

Reactions: troyntn71
Probably has less to do with what he "deserves" but rather the position UT has put themselves in over the last decade.

Firing coaches hasn't been the problem.

Agreed. He deserves nothing, he'll get time due to the idiocy of our adminstration.

A true fan of somebody that wants what's best for the program here is somebody wants to program to be successful. A true fan is not somebody who just kisses whichever coach's ass at the time. Thank U mic drop.
Good one, nobody said anything about kissing anything but I see where your mind goes, congratulations on confirming your "fan" card.....mic drop

Agreed. He deserves nothing, he'll get time due to the idiocy of our adminstration.
Its the corner in which they have painted themselves.

He's gonna get more time than some are going to want him to have. At this point, UT doesn't have anything to lose by giving it to him.

I don't like where they are right now, but Im also well aware that firing him tomorrow or in Nov doesn't guarantee success either.
It will make some fans that don't like him feel better. They'll be back next year complaining about the next guy.

Wow, he put a lot on the line. He's a freeking hero!

We are all frustrated with the situation, shock, chaos, depression, anger, disasterous, disappointment, dysfunctional and I'm and on. What is he entitled too as a first time HC walking into a dysfunctional program that has been on a downward slide for 10 -12 years...
I guess he is entitled to OJT Time to put this mess back together....

We are all frustrated with the situation, shock, chaos, depression, anger, disasterous, disappointment, dysfunctional and I'm and on. What is he entitled too as a first time HC walking into a dysfunctional program that has been on a downward slide for 10 -12 years...
I guess he is entitled to OJT Time to put this mess back together....

What are the loyal fans who pump money into the university and the AD "entitled" to?

Ive always thought it was a weird argument.

UT is too good for Pruitt.
Pruitt is offered the job.
Pruitt accepts the job.
Fans don't like Pruitt because he accepted the job.

Its like anyone here (in the same situation) wouldn't take the job.
Good point...we likely would have. I know I would have, and would have failed just as miserably if not worse.

I don’t hold it against him that he took the job. I hold it against those that hired him because I don’t believe him to be a head coach.

What are the loyal fans who pump money into the university and the AD "entitled" to?
Why go there? Too many entitlements claimed and the process to achieve the desire outcome is the same but the money pumpers have different avenues to achieve...ADs and board have tried to please and meet demands and failed miserably in doing so. It is a very dysfunctional situation and we put ourselveles into this mess. So who is entitled to anything?

Why go there? Too many entitlements claimed and the process to achieve the desire outcome is the same but the money pumpers have different avenues to achieve...ADs and board have tried to please and meet demands and failed miserably in doing so. It is a very dysfunctional situation and we put ourselveles into this mess. So who is entitled to anything?

The only thing anyone is "entitled" to is what they earn. And so far Pruitt isn't earning his keep.

No his master plan is either getting revenge to the fans that wanted him fired before or his master plan is he doesn't want anybody in there to outshine him he wants to be known as the last great coach at Tennessee. Remember this guy backstabbed Johnny Majors and this same threw Randy Sanders under the bus. He is all about himself. I lost all respect for him when he sabotaged the Mike Leach hire.

Reactions: OG.V83
I actually see both sides of the “coin” in this situation. Because of that, I remain a fan but will probably not go to any games, but will continue to watch every week. I love college football.
What if, Pruitt returns next year (almost guaranteed) and we still have mediocre QB play. He wins 5-6 games. He gets another season and for some reason, be it injuries or whatever, he wins 7 games. Time for a contract extension and raise because they ALWAYS go together. He is 4 years in, a younger team because he early recruits have grad or went pro. He is showing improvement going from whatever this year to maybe 7 wins. Do you give him an extension/raise or let his contract play out.
Based on what I have seen so far, this is the most probable case. Learning on the job, decent recruiting, not great because of win/loss record, and tough schedule in the following years.
Is 7 wins or even 8 wins worth a new contract and maybe $5M a year. If yes, definitely keep him. If not, ??? Wins and loses are what matters. Not, he recruits good, nice press conferences, players love him, he is just 1 or 2 playmakers away.

Hahaha that is funny I must say. Got to give you that. But defending the indefensible like not even being competitive anymore in any conference games and losing to the likes of Georgia State doesn't make one look intelligent either.

i love seeing grown men whine so much because a coach doesnt make the decisions they think he should make.
Like maybe beating Georgia State? Maybe being competitive in some of the conference games? Man us fans are just too demanding!!

Good point...we likely would have. I know I would have, and would have failed just as miserably if not worse.

I don’t hold it against him that he took the job. I hold it against those that hired him because I don’t believe him to be a head coach.

After Kiffin. "Its very important, We gotta get the next hire right."
After Dooley. "Its imperative, we have get the next hire right. Surely the University sees the urgency"
After Jones. "We re headed to a place where we may not return. Is it urgency or stupidity at this point?"

UT has beaten the patience plum out of the fanbase.

On the cuff I didn't like the hire. Its not that I didn't think Pruitt wasn't a football guy or even a good coach. It just seemed like a risky move to go with a guy that didn't have experience.

Looking at it now I realize it doesn't matter if they fire him this year or next year assuming he finds the breaking point for those that make that decision. I think he's going to be here for awhile, so I hope he starts moving it in a positive direction. It can't get here quick enough for most (and thats understandable) but he needs to figure it out. To date, the only ones with a worse record than Pruitt are those that are in charge of the list above.

I dont. But I also think u like to hear your own self. U are so wise. Please teach us

That one is a little more simple.

There was a similar discussion in a different thread a couple days ago regarding season ticket holders and donations.

I would guess everyone has a point where they just close the checkbook or make it out for something else.

VN Store

Back