2nd & Goal from the 3

No not changing the argument at all.
1) coaches put wrong personnel in to run that play. Gray isn’t a pass blocker YET. The TB has to engage the DE on that play
2) it was stupid to put the game in that situation in JGs hands to make a play. Run the ball there.
3) the play isn’t run to include a pump fake. It’s a quick throw in the flat to the FB. See 1st TD vs FSU in ‘98 NC game to see how it’s run.
Same damn play.
Lol....you said earlier that it was a back corner throw and then a timing route. Now, with video proof that I provided, it's a thrown the flat to the FB. I feel like I'm debating with a 9 year old about who ate the last popsicle. I'm out; have a good evening!

Lol....you said earlier that it was a back corner throw and then a timing route. Now, with video proof that I provided, it's a thrown the flat to the FB. I feel like I'm debating with a 9 year old about who ate the last popsicle. I'm out; have a good evening!

good They still have scored.

I think the noteworthy thing is the whole culture deal.

After Tennessee got the turnover in the game thread, numerous posters made posts indicating that Tennessee was going to have to settle for a field goal or screw up. You just get a turnover and half of the people or more were of the mindset of "no big deal. we ain't scoring."

And they were right.

Reactions: Rockyjr
No not changing the argument at all.
1) coaches put wrong personnel in to run that play. Gray isn’t a pass blocker YET. The TB has to engage the DE on that play.

Doug Matthews said the same thing on BOS. Said Gray has to be able to "get the hands down" of the DE on this play. Gray has struggled all year on blocking assignments, so I agree with you and the OP, the personnel should have been different on this play at RB.

JG could have still pumped and lofted it to Pope and easily scored there. JG just doesn't have any situational awareness to his play.

BTW - Banks scored on a 2nd and goal last year, so running here still made sense, even though the box was stacked on this play. (the play call itself was spot on)

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo
None of this is Chaney’s fault.

I think the noteworthy thing is the whole culture deal.

After Tennessee got the turnover in the game thread, numerous posters made posts indicating that Tennessee was going to have to settle for a field goal or screw up. You just get a turnover and half of the people or more were of the mindset of "no big deal. we ain't scoring."

And they were right.
Oh, so the fans mindset caused the INT. Sounds legit. Just beat it, dude.

Reactions: igotworms
None of this is Chaney’s fault.

Probably the RB coach screwed up on substitution but expecting players to do things they aren’t doing well in critical situations in the game is poor coaching.

Probably the RB coach screwed up on substitution but expecting players to do things they aren’t doing well in critical situations in the game is poor coaching.
The play worked. JG didn’t put any touch on it & JJ missed the catch. Do you want Chaney to throw it and catch it too?

I’m speaking about the 2nd down play.

3rd down was clearly on JJ.
Oh, got you. I’d have to go back and look at the defensive front. If he saw 8 in the box, JG May have a throw to change to. Hard to tell, but I get your point.

I think we should have ran it too, the probablility of screwing that play up was so much higher than running the ball, sometimes you can just feel a bad play coming and i could feel that one, how bout a boot leg or something at least where JG could have run it in, something besides throwing in the middle of the endzone into a nest of defenders, it was a momentum killer to the extreme

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo

Amen. Was thinking the same thing watching that. You just plowed their D line with a nice first down run, our OL was getting some good push, do it again! The inexplicable ability for coaches to turn 180 degrees in the opposite direction of what's actually working will always be a mystery to me.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Oh, so the fans mindset caused the INT. Sounds legit. Just beat it, dude.

That's not what I wrote.

What I was pointing out is that even after something good, many believed something bad was going to happen and they were correct.

It's part of the overall aspect of the losing culture and mental state of the program. When my team gets a turnover and is at the other team's 20 yard line, my thought isn't how is my team going to screw it up.

People have those thoughts for a reason. And it gets worse when the results reinforce the negative thoughts people have.

It's not the fans' fault for anything. It's indicative of what the play on the field has turned the mindset of those who are invested in Tennessee winning.

Well, one good thing to come about from that series was the fact that we didn't kick a field goal there. Look how that mindset has worked for us against UF (with few exceptions) over the past 3 decades.

To defend Chaney’s call to pass, didn’t UGA have like 7 run plays in a row inside the 5 against the gators last year and got totally stuffed? Chaney probably remembered that and called a pass.

Uh..I believe it was General Neyland who first ( ahead of Woody Hayes btw) observed:
"When you throw the ball three things can happen and 2 of them are bad. "
IMHO, when you have 2nd and goal on the 3 yard line...and CANNOT trust your offense to punch it in...you're looking at a very long, sad season in the SEC.

I agree on the choice to run, but we had had the open man both 2nd and 3rd down. 1st pass was batted down and 2nd pass went through JJs hands.

Honestly the offensive play calls throughout the game were very good I thought. We caught UF with their pants down several times that should have translated to at least 14 points on 2 plays and probably FG position in a few others. We should have had a 14-7 lead just seconds into the 2nd quarter. The problem was the players (mainly JG) failed to execute.

Last edited:
You will see Pope lined up as fullback and Gray as tailback. Gray whiffed on the DE and the pass was batted when Pope was at about the 3 yard line with plenty of room between him and the sideline. Had JG pump faked, it would have been an easy pass and catch because no defender was in a position to make a play.
Back has to be trained to chop him. Those hands will come down to deal with the block.

Was this the same series where JG, instead a nice lofty throw with touch over a gator to hit a wide open TE in the endzone he fired a rocket into the gator hoping pure power and speed would get between the defenders arms?

VN Store

Back