2nd & Goal from the 3

wmcovol

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo

In the old days at UT, we'd do exactly what you described. We'd line up with no question about what was coming. It would be 3 straight plays right behind our big ass OL. You stop us and we'll tip our caps to you. We rarely needed 3 plays.

Now we try to scheme, trick and outsmart and usually shoot ourselves in the foot. I miss the good old days of UT football.

Scheme worked fine. Pass went through JJ's hands. A rare drop for him. He has been extremely dependable this year. Hard to blame a coach for calling a play that worked.

Neither of those plays are on the coaches. JG should have pump faked and floated the pass on 2nd down. JJ simple didn't hang on to the pass on 3rd down.

Reactions: illvol and Rockyjr
Neither of those plays are on the coaches. JG should have pump faked and floated the pass on 2nd down. JJ simple didn't hang on to the pass on 3rd down.

If he’d pumped faked the DE, the receiver would have been out of bounds by the time the ball was delivered to him. Putting Gray in there was dumb Gray is struggling in pass pro and you put him in the game to pass pro?

If he’d pumped faked the DE, the receiver would have been out of bounds by the time the ball was delivered to him. Putting Gray in there was dumb Gray is struggling in pass pro and you put him in the game to pass pro?
Not even close

VN Store

Back