Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s the cool thing to hate @David Ubben, and I don’t appreciate the petty shots he’s taken, but his latest article doesn’t look good for us. UTC dogged us pretty hard; evidently we are completely predictable and they mentioned our alignment issues seem to be getting worse, not better.

Watching tape of ga st and byu...not surprised we played vanilla.

Would expect more counters going forward and we do use PA pass quite a bit, so getting eyes moving defenders isn't terrible in the system.

I had the same thought but we both know there were different breeds on the field Saturday.

Fact remains, if those flaws are noticed when we are on even footing with an opponent, three we will pay badly

I would think that coach Chaney is purposely doing these things in an attempt to hide what we want to do offensively heading into SEC play. He doesn’t want to show all
His cards and I don’t blame him. Just my opinion on it though.

If we set back and bring three and four guys on most passing downs, we are going to be in for a long game. If we play zone, Trask will pick it apart as he can see the field well and our dbs are lost in zone coverage most of the time. I expect to see Florida do whatever they want on offense. We need to be aggressive with our linebackers bringing one and two on passing downs. The pressure needs to be in Trask face, not coming from the edge(CB blitz). The best way to throw a qb off his game is pressure. There needs to be a ton of pressure Saturday coming from the interior dline and linebackers.

JG is going to struggle, so it won't matter how the defense plays. JG was a quarter to half a second slow on each throw he made yesterday. He is the worst QB I have watched at UT.(Justin Worley is a close 2nd) It would not surprise me to see a hook or comeback route be taken for a score by one of Florida's dbs Saturday due to a late throw.

I expect to see Brandon Kennedy on his back most of the game as well. The interior Dline for BYU pushed him around like a child. Florida's Dline will maul him.

Disagree, I am not a JG fan but you obviously need to go back and rewatch JGs passes. He was not late on any of them. The throw to JJ in the endzone was perfect and thrown right as the window opened. The throw to Tillman was thrown right when it needed to be as well. The throw to Calloway was thrown that way because he knew no one was around Calloway so there was no need to accidentally overthrow it.

Stop being biased just because you don’t like him. They were excellent throws.

Last edited:
Positive thoughts are fine, but be real with the positive thoughts. The only chance we have at winning the game is controlling time of possession(Via the run) and creating pressure on passing downs. Controlling time of possession is going to be a tough task as we have two freshman(5 Stars) starting on the oline. What I did like about the oline yesterday was the size(4 guys 320+). I believe Chaney knows size is the great equalizer and that size will wear down most defensive fronts as the game goes.

If we win the turnover battle, then our chances of winning go up.

Time of possession is such a BS stat and no one buys it anymore in the modern offensive era. Chatt killed us yesterday 33m to 27m. Auburn had the ball for 5 min in the first half of their bowl game last year and were up half a hundred. It's a mirage statistic. You don't center your offense around possessing the ball, you center it around efficiency and explosiveness...JUST SCORE

Reactions: Bret178 and RiotVol
Positive thoughts are fine, but be real with the positive thoughts. The only chance we have at winning the game is controlling time of possession(Via the run) and creating pressure on passing downs. Controlling time of possession is going to be a tough task as we have two freshman(5 Stars) starting on the oline. What I did like about the oline yesterday was the size(4 guys 320+). I believe Chaney knows size is the great equalizer and that size will wear down most defensive fronts as the game goes.

If we win the turnover battle, then our chances of winning go up.

Seriously? We can have positive thoughts, but only in moderation? I haven't seen anyone seriously claiming that yesterday was anything more than what it was. A beat down of an inferior opponent that should have been the third such beatdown. Let the optimists be optimistic.

I hope we come after the Punts like this week. Could be huge to get a good block. I would love to see us just go all out crazy blitz and special teams. I’d rather lose being aggressive.

Yesterday was fun to watch, but doesn’t change much for me. UF won’t have to stack the line to stop the run and has the athletes to slow the outside run game.

Our DL is not good enough to do the same. Their WR’s against our DB’s is not a good match up either, especially since Bryce likely can’t play.

Hopefully all of this completely wrong come Saturday.

Florida looks much fun faster than us still. The thing that really worries me is their WR’s against our DB’s.

Surely a bit to UT. Uf just escaped uk and have a backup now. Trask played well, but it's uk...

Just got bituli back and we are looking quite healthy. If BT is back next week...eyeball emoji
Next week is where Pruitt can show his stuff. If he can scheme something up like he did against Auburn last year Chandler and Gray may be able to carry TN to a win

The defensive staff’s No. 1 note on the running game is simple, though. They quickly identified Tennessee’s biggest tell in the running game.

“81 will take you to the ball!” the front page of the defensive scouting report reads.

Tennessee ran the ball on 52 percent of plays in the first two games. However, with two tight ends on the field, the Vols ran the ball 77 percent of the time.

Chattanooga coaches also note that when two tight ends were on the field and Guarantano was under center, Tennessee ran the ball 83 percent of the time. But the Vols ran only behind No. 81, Austin Pope. The defensive staff watches clip after clip of the same thing. Pope starts the play on one side. Whether he moves with or without fellow tight end Dom Wood-Anderson or stays put, the running game is headed in one direction: Pope’s.

“All you gotta do is look at the tight end. He’ll tell you,” Ward said.

Later, the staff points out Tennessee likes to work out of a pair of bunch formations that look similar at first glance but have a tell. When it’s tight to the side of the line, it’s almost exclusively a run toward the cluster of receivers and tight ends. When it’s slightly more spread out, it’s almost always a pass. Except for one instance against BYU, when Tennessee’s Jacquez Jones showed up on the field one time. Tennessee ran a reverse.

Later that afternoon, Ward sits in a film session with cornerback Jordan Jones.

“If you see 21 in the game, you gotta be yelling out to everybody, ‘Watch the reverse, watch the reverse!’ ” Ward says. “You got me?”

Jones nods. Ward pounds into Jones and his defense what the staff learned through study.

“Wherever 81 goes, that’s where the ball is going,” he says.

“I can see why people with the personnel to do it beat them,” Ward said. “They tell you what they’re doing.”
-Ubben

We are beating Florida. One reason, we have JJ and they don’t. He is going to wear out their DBs who are short on depth and lay out some linebackers like he did against Auburn last year. They will be worn out by the fourth and we hit a few shots. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back