Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win the turnover battle and control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and we win this coming weekend

It’s really a simple concept
Just gotta want it more and be ready to play
I think a noon game plays in our favor on the road
Plus we have already played in an early game

A win is a win. I’d like to have seen the 2 young QBs playing with the 1’s more in the second half yesterday instead of Pruitt’s PE teacher mode. I guess we didn’t want either of them to have much of an opportunity to settle in, develop some confidence, and be successful, otherwise the QB controversy would linger. jmo.

Take away Josh Hammond’s 76 yard run with 33 seconds left in the game and Florida rushed for 62 yards against Kentucky. They rushed for 50 yards against Miami in their season opener. Their offensive line seems to be a bit like ours, maybe not as good, if that is possible. They appear to hold up relatively well in pass protection but they don’t have much push up front in the run game.

So far this year Florida has been one-dimensional on offense. In terms of number of attempts Franks was the second leading rusher on the team this year. I would anticipate we could see a lot more of Emory Jones this week than anyone else has seen so far because if we can cover their receivers and pressure Trask they’re not going to have much of an offense.

USC’s replacement QB threw 3 interceptions in their loss to BYU and Georgia State gave up 450 yards rushing and 7 rushing TDs to WMU on 44 attempts enroute to the Panther’s 57-10 shellacking yesterday. Our run game amassed 93 yards against State’s defense.

I’m wondering if Florida is favored over us by 14.5 points what the guys in Vegas are trying to tell us. Are they saying our defense is that bad or is it our offense? I mean Florida doesn’t score a lot of points behind that offensive line and without Franks they may be even more one-dimensional.

I think we should beat Florida something like 31-17 but I don’t know if we will. This summer Pruitt said last year he screwed up his relationship with his players and that was so unlike him. Speaking to the Knoxville QB Club last week he said against Georgia State he uncharacteristically didn’t call an aggressive defense. All season long it seems to me that he’s struggling to identify who our best players are. They all deserve to play sounds to me more like a PE teacher than a head football coach.

The key to our game against Florida in my opinion is which Pruitt shows up. I can’t really explain why the “other” Pruitt is screwing up but I have an idea which I think we can use to combat that “other” Pruitt. No matter what situation he finds himself in Pruitt should ask himself, if I was working for Nick Saban or Jimbo Fisher, what would I do? I think that may help us to find the Pruitt that is a football coach. jmo.

I’d give us a 50/50 shot against Florida mostly because I’ve been stuck at 50% on the weekly pick ‘em contest for the last 3 weeks. I’m beginning to think these games are rigged and I think Freak may be in on it. jmo.

Yeah, I guess I’m still a bit salty.

Just woke up and saw the highlights of the second half. That targeting call on that Kentucky DL is bullchit. Trask lowered his damn head right into the hit.

That literally changed the game. I just have a major issue with ejecting players over that, too. A face mask is just as dangerous, but you’re not ejecting players for that.

It’s the NCAA wanting to look like they’re making the game safer without actually caring about making the game safer.

If we set back and bring three and four guys on most passing downs, we are going to be in for a long game. If we play zone, Trask will pick it apart as he can see the field well and our dbs are lost in zone coverage most of the time. I expect to see Florida do whatever they want on offense. We need to be aggressive with our linebackers bringing one and two on passing downs. The pressure needs to be in Trask face, not coming from the edge(CB blitz). The best way to throw a qb off his game is pressure. There needs to be a ton of pressure Saturday coming from the interior dline and linebackers.

JG is going to struggle, so it won't matter how the defense plays. JG was a quarter to half a second slow on each throw he made yesterday. He is the worst QB I have watched at UT.(Justin Worley is a close 2nd) It would not surprise me to see a hook or comeback route be taken for a score by one of Florida's dbs Saturday due to a late throw.

I expect to see Brandon Kennedy on his back most of the game as well. The interior Dline for BYU pushed him around like a child. Florida's Dline will maul him.
Guarantano's struggles don't hold a candle to Jonathan Crompton pre the 2009 Georgia game. He was absolutely dreadful.

If we set back and bring three and four guys on most passing downs, we are going to be in for a long game. If we play zone, Trask will pick it apart as he can see the field well and our dbs are lost in zone coverage most of the time. I expect to see Florida do whatever they want on offense. We need to be aggressive with our linebackers bringing one and two on passing downs. The pressure needs to be in Trask face, not coming from the edge(CB blitz). The best way to throw a qb off his game is pressure. There needs to be a ton of pressure Saturday coming from the interior dline and linebackers.

JG is going to struggle, so it won't matter how the defense plays. JG was a quarter to half a second slow on each throw he made yesterday. He is the worst QB I have watched at UT.(Justin Worley is a close 2nd) It would not surprise me to see a hook or comeback route be taken for a score by one of Florida's dbs Saturday due to a late throw.

I expect to see Brandon Kennedy on his back most of the game as well. The interior Dline for BYU pushed him around like a child. Florida's Dline will maul him.

Please pick up your prescribed anti-depressants and move to the FF or the most convenient parallel dimension posthaste. That is all.

Shut up

I'm still in a wait and see mode. I'll believe we beat the gators in the swamp when the clock expires and we have more points than them.

BYU loss looks better but the GAST loss looks worse. Yesterday's win doesn't move the needle for me. Hopefully it will interject some confidence in the team and especially JG. I think the only way the Vols can pull this out is if we hit them over the top. I think the book is out on the Vols (I think it's actually on its third printing). Stack the box, take away the short stuff, and make JG beat you. Is he capable? Yes, we saw it last year against Auburn. Will he do it? We have a decent size body of evidence that says odds are against it. We simply don't have the hosses on the LOS to force our will on opponents, especially SEC caliber opponents, yet.

On the defense side of the ball, I almost think Frank's going down was the worst thing that could happen. Trask seems to be be the more accurate passer and we've proven that given enough time, our secondary folds like a cheap tent in a tornado. The only way we stop them is to get creative with the blitz. We simply do not have the hosses to get pressure on the QB rushing four.

In summary, I think the following must occur to pull out the win:

We must punish them for stacking the box by breaking a long run or two and throwing it over their heads. The WRs must get off press coverage and make difficult catches, and out fight Florida dbs for the ball. The line must hold up against the Florida rush and not make stupid assignment misses like KY yesterday letting a DE go unblocked.

We need to win the turnover battle. We need to force some errant throws and pick a couple off. A defensive touchdown would be nice but putting the offense in a short field is critical. If we turn the ball over, we will lose and probably lose badly.

We need to tackle well. This has been a concern of mine the first three games. If we allow the FL backs and receivers to break through tackles and get 3, 5, 9 yards (or more) after contact, it will be a long day.

We need to score TDs when we get into the red zone and not have to settle for three.

We must win the special team game. Our return game needs to be good, again shortening the field but our coverage teams need to be good. Florida has always fed off long returns. We can't allow a special teams TD.

Can we beat them? Absolutely. Will we beat them, doubtful in my mind. I need to see more than a beat down of a hapless UTC team before I think we have much of a chance in the swamp.
Every word of this post is correct.

I know it’s a line of scrimmage league but it seems like this game will be won in the secondary. I don’t see either team running the ball effectively.

14.5 on the Vegas line looks about right. Like InVOL I had it at 17 after watching both games. UF gets Henderson back in the secondary. Hopefully, we answer with Thompson back in ours because we are going to need him. Trask is accurate without a pass rush. We have shown very little without blitzing, so our CB's need to be on their games in man coverage. Bituli should be able to take more snaps as well, which helps a lot.

Like UK should have - UT needs to control the outcome with offense. The best unit on the field last night was the UK O-line and the next best was their big receivers. Gran did not stay on point with his play calls in the second half. Chaney is going to need to do that for our game to have a good shot to win. The Vol O-line I saw starting yesterday can get the job done if they work as a unit. We have better RB's than UK. We have as good or better receivers than UK. DWA is a weapon if Chaney remembers to use him. We need Bryce back and a D-line that is angry. More Bumphus and D-Taylor getting after it.
Going to need Thompson and Bituli to play most of the game to have a chance.

I wouldn't mind if I get endlessly tagged on this one.

Last week, Chattanooga gave The Athletic an all-access pass inside the program. Coaches meetings, film sessions, practices, game-planning sessions ... everything.

I learned more about Tennessee's schemes in those few days than I did all last season covering the team. Tons of insight into how teams are putting together game plans to attack Tennessee and what this coaching staff does and doesn't do.

A sample:

Chattanooga coaches also note that when two tight ends were on the field and Guarantano was under center, Tennessee ran the ball 83 percent of the time. But the Vols ran only behind No. 81, Austin Pope. The defensive staff watches clip after clip of the same thing. Pope starts the play on one side. Whether he moves with or without fellow tight end Dom Wood-Anderson or stays put, the running game is headed in one direction: Pope’s.

“All you gotta do is look at the tight end. He’ll tell you,” Ward said.

Yeager keys up one more play. Pope moves. Ward calls it out.

“Outside zone, they’re gonna run it to 81,” he says.

He’s right.

Here's the full story.
Hope Coach Chaney sees this story.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Yesterday was fun. A dominating win, lots of guys made plays, walk ons got PT, bunch of turnovers taken from our D, no turnovers by the O, that was an enjoyable afternoon. Good to see the young guys flying all over the field. So many times I had to look up numbers on the roster saying to myself, "Man, that dude just made a great play, who is it?" That's a good sign for the future.

Watched the UF/UK game, both those teams are very beatable. We need Bituli and Thompson to play, a lot. And JG needs to have his best game as a Vol. His late throws and indecisiveness won't cut it in Gainesville. If he doesn't turn it over and makes good throws down the field and over the middle, Vols have a shot. If he plays meh, we're going to lose by a couple scores. That simple, really.

I wouldn't mind if I get endlessly tagged on this one.

Last week, Chattanooga gave The Athletic an all-access pass inside the program. Coaches meetings, film sessions, practices, game-planning sessions ... everything.

I learned more about Tennessee's schemes in those few days than I did all last season covering the team. Tons of insight into how teams are putting together game plans to attack Tennessee and what this coaching staff does and doesn't do.

A sample:

Chattanooga coaches also note that when two tight ends were on the field and Guarantano was under center, Tennessee ran the ball 83 percent of the time. But the Vols ran only behind No. 81, Austin Pope. The defensive staff watches clip after clip of the same thing. Pope starts the play on one side. Whether he moves with or without fellow tight end Dom Wood-Anderson or stays put, the running game is headed in one direction: Pope’s.

“All you gotta do is look at the tight end. He’ll tell you,” Ward said.

Yeager keys up one more play. Pope moves. Ward calls it out.

“Outside zone, they’re gonna run it to 81,” he says.

He’s right.

Here's the full story.
Nice story, glad to know that Chatt knew all of our plays and still couldn't stop us. Seems like a coaching issue. Get your players lined up. It's kind of simple if you already know the play. Also, do me a favor...get rid of the Athletic...well actually my buddy inside the program said The athletic will be gone soon...oops.

So I just want to go on the record and say this:

JG played really well yesterday and made some really good throws after I went back and watched the game again. The TD To JJ was perfectly thrown right as the window opened. Really the only bad throw he had was the first throw. If JG plays like that every game we could definitely surprise some people.

Shrout has good vision and a quick release. Once he gets the timing on his throws down he will be good.

Maurer looked good running. It almost seems like he has a different playbook than JG and JT. I could see him actually coming in on a wildcat set.
I think you’re onto something with Maurer. They might try to use him like Miami has been using Tate Martell - besides the WR snaps obviously.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Yesterday was fun. A dominating win, lots of guys made plays, walk ons got PT, bunch of turnovers taken from our D, no turnovers by the O, that was an enjoyable afternoon. Good to see the young guys flying all over the field. So many times I had to look up numbers on the roster saying to myself, "Man, that dude just made a great play, who is it?" That's a good sign for the future.

Watched the UF/UK game, both those teams are very beatable. We need Bituli and Thompson to play, a lot. And JG needs to have his best game as a Vol. His late throws and indecisiveness won't cut it in Gainesville. If he doesn't turn it over and makes good throws down the field and over the middle, Vols have a shot. If he plays meh, we're going to lose by a couple scores. That simple, really.
I wanna see Gray get in open space . Maybe a few screens or an inside shovel pass.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
Lol FF can't even let others believe we have asome slim shot at Florida. Positive thoughts are FORBIDDEN.

Positive thoughts are fine, but be real with the positive thoughts. The only chance we have at winning the game is controlling time of possession(Via the run) and creating pressure on passing downs. Controlling time of possession is going to be a tough task as we have two freshman(5 Stars) starting on the oline. What I did like about the oline yesterday was the size(4 guys 320+). I believe Chaney knows size is the great equalizer and that size will wear down most defensive fronts as the game goes.

If we win the turnover battle, then our chances of winning go up.

I believe next week's game will come down to the game plan and coaching. I believe both teams have their fair share of issues/concerns but also have several playmakers. Both teams will have a turnover or two, make stupid/boneheaded penalties, but will also have a big play here or there. As such, my main concern is how will the young VOLS respond to their first road game, and a big one at that? I think we have a better coaching staff and they will have the guys prepared and ready to play and give their all for TENNESSEE! Vols by 10.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Yesterday was fun to watch, but doesn’t change much for me. UF won’t have to stack the line to stop the run and has the athletes to slow the outside run game.

Our DL is not good enough to do the same. Their WR’s against our DB’s is not a good match up either, especially since Bryce likely can’t play.

Hopefully all of this completely wrong come Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back