Basilio saying Fulmer/Chaney want a new QB

This thread is hilarious. If there's anything factual to take away from this controversy, it's this...We don't know what we've got in these backups. Pruitt should have got them snaps long time ago. This mistake may bite him later. If JG gets injured and/or benched, you're essentially handing the offense over to a qb who's never played a college down. They may indeed not be ready, but them not being ready? Well, that's on Pruitt.

What have you seen so far that makes you think Pruitt is open to even the idea of any QB besides JG playing?

If Pruitt has written off last year, this year, and possibly even next year, because of the expected arrival of HB, and turning ‘compete to win’ seasons into ‘practice’, he is screwing over the guys on the team, his assistant Coaches, the people who hired him, the University, and the fans who pay money to come to the games. Playing a quarterback who hurts the team’s chances of winning, he’s proving he knows nothing about offense, or he’s waiting on HB.

Last edited:
IF this is confirmed to be correct, then Pruitt can only blame himself and his stubbornness for his possible failure as the HBC of Tennessee.

Unwilling to consider all options and believing you're right and everyone else is wrong will place you in the unemployment line sooner rather than later.
BM looked pretty good in spring game.

I truly question just about everything TB says. However, If our coaches/players were prepared for the opener, then that would have been a perfect time to get the second string QB some work. Problem is, we pussy footed around and crapped the bed losing that game. I wonder if this team can take care of business against UTC early allowing some reserves to see the field.
BUT, who is the second string QB?

Reactions: AM64
IF we do get to see another QB in the UTC game, it needs to be in the 1st qtr and not in mop up duty if we're in the position to get mop up duty
Sad isnt it. I'm annoyed these backups have zero experience. Its so bad that our 3rd yr starting QB has had to play all 4qtrs against cupcakes. Just wow.

It's not been announced, but my guess would be Shrout. Maurer is a red shirt.
Thats my point. I dont understand not announcing it or listing it. And then in the press conference say that Maurer isnt the backup and seemed adamant about it and then say they had to create a backup?? He doesnt believe in backups and last year proved that atleast in the qb department.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
You can play 4 games and still RS. Give the kid some reps
Oh I know, he asked about 2nd string. Yes he needs reps but he'd have to burn the red shirt if he's the backup and jg gets pulled. If hb comes in next season and wins the starting job, Maurer wouldve wasted his eligibility. I know these are big ifs. Just somethin to think about.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Oh I know, he asked about 2nd string. Yes he needs reps but he'd have to burn the red shirt if he's the backup and jg gets pulled. If hb comes in next season and wins the starting job, Maurer wouldve wasted his eligibility. I know these are big ifs. Just somethin to think about.
The RS would only be burned if he played in 5 games. If Bailey wins the job next year, does Mauer even stay? You or I don't know. Look at UGA. It's worked out ok. Same with Bama. OU.

Play whoever gives you the best chance to win. It's 2019, RS don't really matter that much anymore (especially at QB)

Thats my point. I dont understand not announcing it or listing it. And then in the press conference say that Maurer isnt the backup and seemed adamant about it and then say they had to create a backup?? He doesnt believe in backups and last year proved that atleast in the qb department.
Idk why they haven't announced it. He doesnt believe in backups? What makes you say this? Any somewhat competent coach should have a backup ready if the main guy goes down.

If I were Maurer, I'd transfer now.

He's going to get zero reps in a live game this year, zero chance this year or next to compete for the starting position as long as JG is here, and should we keep Bailey's commitment, then he'll most likely be stuck at a #2 in his junior year.

The RS would only be burned if he played in 5 games. If Bailey wins the job next year, does Mauer even stay? You or I don't know. Look at UGA. It's worked out ok. Same with Bama. OU.

Play whoever gives you the best chance to win. It's 2019, RS don't really matter that much anymore (especially at QB)
Good point. I don't think JG makes it 2 more games. Idk, we'll see. Pruitt and Chaney better have next man up ready to go.

Reactions: YankeeVol
But we both know that’s not how personnel decisions go. One guy may give up on a player or see hope where others don’t. Some of this is objective but what a coach thinks about one player or another going forward has some subjectivity and speculation. But it is exactly those decisions that separate successful coaches from the unsuccessful.

Pruitt is betting his job that JG will improve. I hope he’s right but JGs consistent play over the last three years tells me he’s not.

It seems obvious to me that Pruitt likes JGs effort , toughness, arm talent, et al and doesn’t want to give up on him. That could be the exact right thing to do but he could also be blinding himself
Yeah and two games in he's probably counting on CCW and CJC to get it out of him.

We at least know CJC has done that.

Get to the bye. And reassess...

I agree with you. However, I could see Pruitt telling Chaney let’s give him one last shot against Chattanooga, if he doesn’t improve in that game then maybe we try a new QB. I doubt Pruitt flat out vetoed anything.

And start a new QB against the Gators? This is the perfect week to start another QB.

If I were Maurer, I'd transfer now.

He's going to get zero reps in a live game this year, zero chance this year or next to compete for the starting position as long as JG is here, and should we keep Bailey's commitment, then he'll most likely be stuck at a #2 in his junior year.
You're probably right. It's a shame if that happens. I'd really like to see what the kids got. Ryan Hilinski over at uscjr lighting it up.

VN Store

Back