Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't disagree more. I think you're undervaluing the impact of being surrounded by elite players on both sides of the ball and having elite coaches on top of it. We'd definitely win more, don't get me wrong, but I don't put as much stock in a QB taking a team from bad to great.

I've always believed that if Brady (or any HoF QB) had been drafted by the Browns, people today would be saying "Tom Who?"
I don't agree with the 10 win theory on this team with either of them either.

but I'd bet we'd be 2-0.

Reactions: Rishvol
So are we safe to assume Maurer is the back up then? Passed Shrout already?

No, it's all speculation by posters. I think they'd roll with JT for any significant starts if JG went down, if for no reason other than being able to save Maurer's RS. This is of course jmo.

Also I'd love to see this be the starting OL moving forward (because they earned it)

LT - Wanya
LG - Trey
C - Kennedy
RG - Carvin
RT - Wright

That's 3 young guys who'll be back next season too. 2020 could have Johnson replace Kennedy and then Trey if he returns still at LG (although I fully expect Trey to leave for the NFL after this season assuming he is able to play the full 12).

most of them were. and while I was glad to see it at the time, I didn't have any real misunderstandings...that wasn't a qb dissecting anything........it was just put it up and they'll go get it. which is fine. I'm not against that. but I hear the "he's the reason we beat auburn", and while he was certainly part of it, I just never really bought the "the" reason talk.

I've refrained from mentioning that up til now because at this point it's just piling on. I don't hate JG or anything, and I still think most of his issues are fixable. just appears the timeline on getting them fixed is waaaay off from what most all of us thought it would be.

anyway.......I get why everybody is clamoring for one of the back ups.

but virtually everyone that knows a thing about football, from a having played/coached it perspective, has said the same thing........JG is still the best chance at winning. so what do you do if you're the coaches and you know this?

siap yesterday, maybe now after two games, and seeing the live bullets fly, chaney, weinke and martin all have a much better idea of what they have in JG, and more importantly, what needs to be fixed? spring, summer and camp was one thing....now they definitely know what his issues are.............

My only concern is "fixable".
If you can do it and be bragged on in practice but it just disappears in live action, not sure how to teach that.
He already knows, it just seems to go away.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Step son is on staff at UTC.

I asked how they felt about this weekend and if they thought they may have a shot or not ?

"working on Chattanooga not worried about winning. Just play hard, fun, and clean Saturday. Win or loose we will get better on Saturday"

lol cant beat good ole coach speech from your own family ha

But why? I would rather win four games with a freshmen and build for the future than win four games with JG.
We get it. but ffs, this JG bashing is getting old. Fact is if the score isn't at a place where the coaches are comfortable enough to put in one of the other guys. It wont happen.

My only concern is "fixable".
If you can do it and be bragged on in practice but it just disappears in live action, not sure how to teach that.
He already knows, it just seems to go away.
can't argue against it. he hasn't shown that NOT to be the case so far.............so I got that going against my theory.

yea. lol.

I guess for where I'm at here, there's no real arguing JG's performance. I think we all agree on that.

the back up talk though.......I get it. and i'll admit, if you go another game against a team we should beat and you see the same things again.......it's gonna be even harder than it is now to make that talk go away.

the really bad news about that scenario is you're then faced with the proposition that JG is what he is............so do you just dial it back so much so that you basically give him 1/2 the field on any given play and just take way the other half? just really dumb it down....2 reads...intermediate and check down? lol....

or do you throw a RS FR or TR FR in the fire in the swamp, against UGA, MSU, BAMA.............

LSS.....after this week, that's not the time to start throwing freshmen out there and hoping...........lol.

JG NEEDS to fix it.......like badly.

We get it. but ffs, this JG bashing is getting old. Fact is if the score isn't at a place where the coaches are comfortable enough to put in one of the other guys. It wont happen.
Depends on how much they trust JG. It's near unanimous that the fans think the coaches didn't trust JG at the end of the game (who knows what the coaches actually thought) and if that's true it may not matter what the score is. The coaches will try and get their back up minutes

Depends on how much they trust JG. It's near unanimous that the fans think the coaches didn't trust JG at the end of the game (who knows what the coaches actually thought) and if that's true it may not matter what the score is. The coaches will try and get their back up minutes
Coach has already said they wanted to get the backup some time. Just wasn't able to do it. I hope we get a good lead and get to see what he other kids have. Because if we see them in any other situation other than that, it's bad...

Reactions: UTSuave’
I couldn't disagree more. I think you're undervaluing the impact of being surrounded by elite players on both sides of the ball and having elite coaches on top of it. We'd definitely win more, don't get me wrong, but I don't put as much stock in a QB taking a team from bad to great.

I've always believed that if Brady (or any HoF QB) had been drafted by the Browns, people today would be saying "Tom Who?"

See Auburn before and after cam Newton. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
What JG is doing wrong from my armchair has been this.

1. No read progression, seems to pick one route/target and stays on them.
2. Waits to see targets open, rather than throwing targets open.

Here's a point, both of those things happen all the time with QBs who are learning a new system/playbook under a new QB coach or OC. And JG has all 3 of those things this year, so I think he'll eventually regain some confidence as the season progresses and loosen up a bit.

He's getting the play calls in, making the right protection calls/changes based on the defense to get the OL/RBs in the right spots. I guess the unlearning of Helton's system and learning of Chaney's hasn't been as smooth a transition on game days despite him being where he needs to be in practice.

I think if someone behind him was really pushing we might have already seen them (especially after JG hurt the hand and lost the shoe).

Reactions: UTSuave’
Agree, have said it repeatedly. This team has 8+ win talent across the board with the right QB. It appears we will never know if the right QB to get there is on the bench or not.

Every person on this site had talked themselves into wins vs everyone but uga and bama.

Put Trevor Lawrence on this team right now... who is scaring you besides those two? I think Pruitt is ass so far as a head coach and I’ll still pick us in every game but those two.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
he only threw the ball, what, 6 times in the 2nd half?

yeah, I think we know what they thought.

agree with @SLICKYINC though.....we need to get up in this game early, and then play whoever tf we want to.

I’m not bashing the kid at all. I think he is a good kid who gives his all. I’m worried that if we don’t make any changes and we have a catastrophic season, Fulmer will be forced to make a change. I want JG to succeed and light it up. I think we make a bowl if he does. But if we have a terrible season with a freshmen, you can at least sell the future a little bit if he plays decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back