Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobbs was not a great passer early in his career but his mobility made up for it and masked a lot of his diffencies. Then in Junior and Senior year you saw his improvements in the passing game. It was a steady improvement.

With JG, you really don't see any major improvements in his game...and since he is not a running threat like dobbs was...that really makes his mistakes stick out. JG seems like a really great kid and hard worker but he just doesn't have it to be a good quarterback.

Now I don't know ig Maurer of Shrout are better than JG or that we would be 2-0 with them at the helm...but I know you have to give them atleast a shot. One of the biggest disappointments to me these first 2 games (besides losing them) is that we should have blown both of them out and Shrout/Maurer should have gotten live in game reps. That's why it is imperative that we blow out UTC because they need experience, because I guarantee we're gonnna need one of them before the season is over.

he has wildly regressed.

Flame me if you want, but I’ve got it on pretty good authority that Maurer got 20-25 first team reps yesterday. Asked about Shrout but couldn’t get an answer.
Not sure why anyone would flame you, they've been giving them 1st team reps the last couple of weeks.

I think the inclination was that it increased this week. Which makes sense - the backups should play.

Idk - may mean something re: JG and it may not.
Hope it means that they've figured out who the backup is. They were giving them both reps, if it's centric to one, that's a start.

Also increases the chance of pulling JG if he completely bombs.

Flame me if you want, but I’ve got it on pretty good authority that Maurer got 20-25 first team reps yesterday. Asked about Shrout but couldn’t get an answer.

I'm rolling with start JG, but also play Shrout and Maurer for 1 quarter each. If one plays really well then put them back out there for the 4th quarter.

I'm rolling with start JG, but also play Shrout and Maurer for 1 quarter each. If one plays really well then put them back out there for the 4th quarter.

I'd start JG if his hand really is fine (which I think it is) and then play who you think is the #2. If he plays well then I would give him the rest of the game and only bring in the next guy if the game is well out of hand in the 4th (I don't think we score 40)

You need to get your backup some run with the ones, I think.
So I’d start JG like you said, then bring in Shrout or Maurer for maybe the 3rd or 4th drive.

Then hopefully you’re up by enough to get the 3rd guy some time in the second half.

We all know how being in scrimmage mode against georiga st cost us the game. Now it seems like we are going to be in scrimmage mode with the most important position on the field. Not feeling good for Saturday.

Have to agree. Maybe Auburn was "jump balls" but he got them off in time and they were catchable by 1 of the 2 players.
most of them were. and while I was glad to see it at the time, I didn't have any real misunderstandings...that wasn't a qb dissecting anything........it was just put it up and they'll go get it. which is fine. I'm not against that. but I hear the "he's the reason we beat auburn", and while he was certainly part of it, I just never really bought the "the" reason talk.

I've refrained from mentioning that up til now because at this point it's just piling on. I don't hate JG or anything, and I still think most of his issues are fixable. just appears the timeline on getting them fixed is waaaay off from what most all of us thought it would be.

anyway.......I get why everybody is clamoring for one of the back ups.

but virtually everyone that knows a thing about football, from a having played/coached it perspective, has said the same thing........JG is still the best chance at winning. so what do you do if you're the coaches and you know this?

siap yesterday, maybe now after two games, and seeing the live bullets fly, chaney, weinke and martin all have a much better idea of what they have in JG, and more importantly, what needs to be fixed? spring, summer and camp was one thing....now they definitely know what his issues are.............

Reactions: chargervol
You need to get your backup some run with the ones, I think.
So I’d start JG like you said, then bring in Shrout or Maurer for maybe the 3rd or 4th drive.

Then hopefully you’re up by enough to get the 3rd guy some time in the second half.
let's do that first. seems to be a tall order these days.

Reactions: Kingston Vol
I think they'll play the OL the same for the entire game, so much inexperience you don't really have the luxury (imo) of bringing in other players. Trey needs more snaps, as does Morris/Wright.

I don't think this staff will play it by quarters, it'll be series. I'd give JG the first 2 or 3 series, and hopefully he produces 14 or more points. The defense should be able to truly dominate UTC and force turnovers/punts. Slide in JT with the first team (hopefully with a series or 2 in the first half). And then with a padded lead in the 2nd half start to work in more reps for the 2nd level of skill guys.

I want to see lots of Jones, Tillman, Keyton, and Beasley (if still at RB) in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Rishvol
Obvious duh here but if you put tua , Trevor lawerence, etc on this team then it’s probably a 10 win team.

Agree, have said it repeatedly. This team has 8+ win talent across the board with the right QB. It appears we will never know if the right QB to get there is on the bench or not.

We all know how being in scrimmage mode against georiga st cost us the game. Now it seems like we are going to be in scrimmage mode with the most important position on the field. Not feeling good for Saturday.
What are you talking about? Everything mentioned this morning is message board speculation, no one actually knows outside of the coaches what the plan is for QB play on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back