Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will anyone actually be comfortable?
fc5c5b0285f2e614fa7b662946c67d2c_w200.gif

I’m not bashing the kid at all. I think he is a good kid who gives his all. I’m worried that if we don’t make any changes and we have a catastrophic season, Fulmer will be forced to make a change. I want JG to succeed and light it up. I think we make a bowl if he does. But if we have a terrible season with a freshmen, you can at least sell the future a little bit if he plays decent.
the best sales pitch we can make at this point is turning JG around and salvaging ANYTHING out of this season.

put in the back up and win 3 games and it's a really hard sell to say we're close to anything about being competitive.

but, you fix JG, and manufacture a 6 win season from here, and that sells the coaches' ability big time.

no clue if that's possible yet. for obvious reasons.

I’m not bashing the kid at all. I think he is a good kid who gives his all. I’m worried that if we don’t make any changes and we have a catastrophic season, Fulmer will be forced to make a change. I want JG to succeed and light it up. I think we make a bowl if he does. But if we have a terrible season with a freshmen, you can at least sell the future a little bit if he plays decent.
Here is my opinion about Fulmer. All of the rumors about him wanting to take over is just that, rumors. Fulmer watches practices and knows these kids well. He sees who has it and who isn't ready yet. Imo, Fulmer will at some point let Pruitt know when and if he thinks a move should be made, if at all. If Fulmer is seeing the exact same things the staff is seeing he will have Pruitts back on it if they are forced to stick with JG.

Fulmer has put his rep on the line by going out and hiring a Bama guy with no HC experience. Last thing he wants to be is a failure with his first hire. He'll give CJP all the support he needs and help anyway he can to make him successful, again, imo.

IF we are able to have a commanding lead before halftime and other available QB's do not relieve JG after half time, I'll definitely be scratching my head !

Cliff notes please?
It is hard to give one a take on what that young man just said and his facials as he's saying it.
That said....he is up beat, accepted things team is doing wrong, working on correcting them, looking forward to Saturday. He also gave me the impression, along with other videos I have watched from other players, that I as a VOL fan really need to give this process more time with the present leadership !

IF we are able to have a commanding lead before halftime and other available QB's do not relieve JG after half time, I'll definitely be scratching my head !
It's the commanding lead part I'm worried about. Just feel like this will be another game with another crappy team that we'll win 17-6 or somethings.

See Auburn before and after cam Newton. You’ll see what I’m talking about.
At the college level, Newton was a rarer force at QB than Tua, though. Maybe rarer than Lawrence as well. Dude was built like a DE, ran like a jumbo RB, and had a great arm as well. Absolutely perfect fit for Malzahn’s offense and his size and physicality could erase a lot of mistakes.

It's the commanding lead part I'm worried about. Just feel like this will be another game with another crappy team that we'll win 17-6 or somethings.
yeah, the way we've been playing on offense, even when doing well, it's not really lent itself to being up big by half time....controlled drives, milk the clock (which I approve of whole heartedly in general) especially with how inefficient we've been in the red zone....we're not a big play offense.

i'll be anxious to see how we come out Saturday. how aggressive are they going to be? or is EVERYONE shell shocked at this point?

I think they know what they would like to be able to do in the 2nd half..............I'm not sure if anyone thinks they can actually get there?

I would expect if we are up big early, it's probably on the legs of a couple big runs by TC or EG............or maybe a punt return or something.......

Reactions: OrangenSC
I’m hoping JG comes out playing mad, Shows focus, and dominates a lesser opponent. Would be really nice to see him get some confidence going into the swamp because I still think that’s a winnable game if we play like we did against BYU

Reactions: OrangenSC
Here is my opinion about Fulmer. All of the rumors about him wanting to take over is just that, rumors. Fulmer watches practices and knows these kids well. He sees who has it and who isn't ready yet. Imo, Fulmer will at some point let Pruitt know when and if he thinks a move should be made, if at all. If Fulmer is seeing the exact same things the staff is seeing he will have Pruitts back on it if they are forced to stick with JG.

Fulmer has put his rep on the line by going out and hiring a Bama guy with no HC experience. Last thing he wants to be is a failure with his first hire. He'll give CJP all the support he needs and help anyway he can to make him successful, again, imo.
I don’t think Fulmer wants to take over. He wants Pruitt to succeed and us to be successful. But if we go 2-10 and we don’t at least try another QB, I don’t see Pruitt surviving. And I think we need stability and our staff is great. We all just want our Vols to win and I hope we start the turn around this weekend.

My opinion and just my opinion but maybe shared by some of you.

People are clamoring for a backup QB to play Saturday, some even say start. I wholeheartedly agree that a backup QB should at least get some playing time under game situations and most importantly just ID "the guy" that is going in if/when something unforeseen occurs. To start? No way. Reasons.

1) JG Psyche: We have seen how this kid reacts. I'll bring up for giggles, the GT game. His feeling were hurt that game and he pouted. Secondly, as demonstrated most recently with BYU ...CJP got in his butt and that changed his demeanor. Everyone takes critiques and critisim in their own way and coaches know players and how to engage them...but getting in JG's tail didn't work and I don't think benching him would work.

2) We have seen this play out. It seems like for years, before going into the Florida game we are all up in arms about the QB play and the lack there of in games leading up to the game. We want a QB change...Butch Stones actually did it! With Peterman! In the Swamp! How'd that work out for us? Absolutely NO! We do not need to start a freshman actual or R/S in the Swamp.

3) JG is the QB that gives this team the best chance to win. You know it and the coaches know it. Well, actually we may not know it but see #2 above. We have seen this play out before. The QB that play will be the one that can "protect" the football, minimize mistakes and give us the best chance to win.

As the general said we have to protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game. Protect out QB and support him. We can criticize but he is one of us at the end of the day.

I don’t think Fulmer wants to take over. He wants Pruitt to succeed and us to be successful. But if we go 2-10 and we don’t at least try another QB, I don’t see Pruitt surviving. And I think we need stability and our staff is great. We all just want our Vols to win and I hope we start the turn around this weekend.
My point is. Maybe Fulmer is on board with sticking with JG because he gives us the best chance at winning. If we lose because of him and Fulmer realizes that he was/is the problem. Then I don't see him getting rid of CJP.

I’m hoping JG comes out playing mad, Shows focus, and dominates a lesser opponent. Would be really nice to see him get some confidence going into the swamp because I still think that’s a winnable game if we play like we did against BYU
If JG plays horrible against Chatt then man, we gotta do something. Can we get Hill eligible?

Basilio trying to rally the troops behind Pruitt. Talking up the players he has brought in. Says he’ll lead us out of this mess.

However, thinks JG continues to start because he must have dirt on the coaches.
This is surprising. I figured Basilio would be pushing the Fulmer scheming to takeover narrative

You know when you use the word rumors in this sense I don't agree. Generally we say "rumors from inside the program" but in this case i think it is all made up BS by KNS and other people as Swain say's with "microphone or a pen" who have an audience. It's not rumors about Fulmer it is complete BS.

Basilio trying to rally the troops behind Pruitt. Talking up the players he has brought in. Says he’ll lead us out of this mess.

I believe this too. 247 podcast was really good this week and said basically the same thing.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Meh at this point it’s pretty much all about what Pruitt does in year 3 and how he improves as a HC. Sucks, but it’s a long rebuild. If you’re gonna jump start a rebuild, you need a good to great QB and it doesn’t seem like we’ve got one on campus yet. Hopefully the light comes on for Maurer or Shrout or Bailey is an alpha from day one. JG just needs to move on after this season at this point.

At this point, I just want to see Pruitt manage to keep the team playing hard throughout the season and see improvement from underclassmen. If Pruitt can do that, keep the core of his staff together, and pull together another recruiting class like last year’s, I like our chance of putting a non-embarrassing unit on the field next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back