The Official NASCAR Talk Thread

Matty D makes that car a lot better than it is. It’s not an awful ride but definitely not top tier. I hope he lands a good ride next year. He deserves it

Why does the media keep trying to hype the Brickyard 400 as a gem? It's an open wheel track not intended for stock cars.

Crowds are terrible. You can't see but a tiny portion of the track. Unless you are super close to Indy, why pay to go and spend several hours either way for travel? The first few years, figure people went for the intrigue or out of curiosity. But poor racing, bad views, and that tire fiasco where there was a caution every 9 laps led to a crowd under 60,000 in a place that holds many times that.

Reactions: hog88
69592188_10157590049219222_712730757411373056_o.jpg

Got my tickets to Talladega bought and paid for. Looking forward to it. Will be my first non-Atlanta Cup race to attend.

I've gone to all the dega races the last 4 years and I've never been to Atlanta but I went to Texas before I went to Dega, for better or worse it's a completely different experience

I've gone to all the dega races the last 4 years and I've never been to Atlanta but I went to Texas before I went to Dega, for better or worse it's a completely different experience

Not sure what I'm getting into s far as where is good to park and seat views.

I'm in the Moss Thornton Tower which is by the start finish line, figured that would be a good spot to get (my Dad definitely seemed to think that's where we should get seats). The parking lots are about a mile away from those seats but I can walk. I think all the souvenir trailers and stuff closer to the parking lots anyway. Just getting up and driving down that day, between a 3-4 hour drive, so about like Atlanta or Knoxville which I've done in day trips before.

Not sure what I'm getting into s far as where is good to park and seat views.

I'm in the Moss Thornton Tower which is by the start finish line, figured that would be a good spot to get (my Dad definitely seemed to think that's where we should get seats). The parking lots are about a mile away from those seats but I can walk. I think all the souvenir trailers and stuff closer to the parking lots anyway. Just getting up and driving down that day, between a 3-4 hour drive, so about like Atlanta or Knoxville which I've done in day trips before.

I sit in Talladega tower in the spring and Moss Thorton tower in the fall they're good seats, the only place you really can't see well is entering turn 3. Souvenir stands are on the other end of the seating area (you won't miss it), as for parking I'd recommend parking as close to the exit gate as you can as it can be a real pain to get out of there. Finally, as you already eluded to get ready to walk as I'm pretty positive those seats are way further than a mile from parking.

I sit in Talladega tower in the spring and Moss Thorton tower in the fall they're good seats, the only place you really can't see well is entering turn 3. Souvenir stands are on the other end of the seating area (you won't miss it), as for parking I'd recommend parking as close to the exit gate as you can as it can be a real pain to get out of there. Finally, as you already eluded to get ready to walk as I'm pretty positive those seats are way further than a mile from parking.

Yeah, given the length of the straight and where the seats are, looking at over a mile for sure. Oh well, I can walk, and my Dad is still in pretty good shape for walking long distances (all those years rolling tires for Bridgestone paid off).

Parking I was looking at map and debating between the lot close to the Hall of Fame (maybe on the other side of Speedway Blvd so it's a right hand turn back to the interstate) or the one off Allen Rd by looks like the map says West Blvd. Maybe I will get lucky and choose correctly (fingers crossed), I did pretty good with my Atlanta parking choice

Got my tickets to Talladega bought and paid for. Looking forward to it. Will be my first non-Atlanta Cup race to attend.
I love Dega. I've been to the spring race the last 2 years. I want to do the fall race (trying to go this year). I could see the whole track from where we sat (Tri Oval Tower)

Hope the Wood Brothers have a big year next year. They have been my team since 67. They will have a much better driver than they have now. Can't wait to see if they are competitive again with a real wheelman in the car.

I know that GPS exists and all but those do not always give you the best/easiest route to a place.

Anyone know the best way to get to Talladega from Nashville ? I was thinking just use I-65S then get on I-20E in Birmingham but turns out they got a huge section of I-20 in Birmingham closed so that exact route is done for. Anyone know how bad the detour is off 65 back onto 20 (congestion/ton of stop/go, rough area, etc)?

When looking up directions, it also gave an option of going to Chattanooga to I-59 then some state highway that appears to be a 2-lane road which I figure would be worse especially after the race (may be great, just an assumption).

Figured I would see what kind of driving experience there was of anyone that has gone recently.

I know that GPS exists and all but those do not always give you the best/easiest route to a place.

Anyone know the best way to get to Talladega from Nashville ? I was thinking just use I-65S then get on I-20E in Birmingham but turns out they got a huge section of I-20 in Birmingham closed so that exact route is done for. Anyone know how bad the detour is off 65 back onto 20 (congestion/ton of stop/go, rough area, etc)?

When looking up directions, it also gave an option of going to Chattanooga to I-59 then some state highway that appears to be a 2-lane road which I figure would be worse especially after the race (may be great, just an assumption).

Figured I would see what kind of driving experience there was of anyone that has gone recently.

It's been about 15+ years since we have been but here from the Sequatchie valley we always took I-59 and always stopped in Ft. Payne, Gadsden or Attalla for breakfast from there we generally took one of two routes in and out. Just south of Attalla we took the exit over to Rainbow City and took Hwy 77 south to Speedway Blvd.

Another one we went further south on I-59 and then took the exit to Ashville and went south on 411/231 to Pell City just south of you will turn left onto hwy 34 follow that until you get to hwy 77 turn left on 77 and that will take you to Speedway Blvd.

Just stay away from gettin on I-20.

Take a look at it and follow the routes on google earth or maps and make your own judgment like I said it's been a while but I would imagine it's not as crowded now days as it was in the late 90's early 2000's when we quit going.

VN Store

Back