'19 Recruiting Forum: Official BYU Pregame/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, September 7th
Game Time: 7:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Network: ESPN

1567657476506.png

Coming off of the possibly the worst loss in program history, the Vols look to respond against the BYU Cougars in a night game in Neyland. It's nearly impossible to tell what to expect, given the shocking loss the Vols just experienced and the question of how good the team actually is. Let's have a quick look at the match-up

Keys to Victory:

1. Non-Musical Chairs: The coaches employed a clownish rotation of offensive and defensive linemen last week that made little sense in an actual game. Players often seemed to have no idea where to be and were often misalligned. The OL was not awful, but consider the opponet, but the defensive line was bad... and consider the opponent. Hopefully, the coaches will settle in with a crew they think will give them their best effort and have a traditional rotation scheme that doesn't end up being a clown show.

2. Better JG: Guarantano has to do a better job making the plays that win ball games and not just checking down to his easiest option. He lacked touch, self-awareness and seemed generally passive in his demeanor on Saturday, despite throwing for 311 yards. For Tennessee to win, they need much bigger play out of their junior QB.

3. Bread and Butter: Chaney has a tendency to abandon certain aspects of the offense in the course of a game. Ty Chandler was terribly underused and Callaway and Palmer were undertargeted. This offense needs a steady dose of Chandler, Jennings, Palmer and Callaway with DWA getting 4 catches a game. Eric Gray needs touches but is a liability in pass protection. Tim Jordan is fine, but Chandler is the dude and needs to be fed.

4. Intensity: Tennessee had an incredible lack of intensity for a first game... one which they clearly weren't taking seriously enough. To make matters worse, the general response to the loss was apathy, though the media has framed some quotes to fit their negative narrative. The Vols need to come out with an intensity on Saturday because I can promise you BYU would love to travel across the country and take a win from Tennessee in the House of Neyland. Does Tennessee value a win in the same way? Whether they do or not, Pruitt desperately needs this team to get it.

Prediction: I've had a hard time picking a lot of games, and this is probably one of the more difficult ones. I really don't know what we have. I thought I did a week ago, but now, I have no idea. I think the Vols rebound and take the victory. They don't look like world beaters, but they do enough and play football the right way and have enough talent to get it done.

TN 34
BYU 24

So I think....
giphy.gif

Anyone who thinks we have a legitimate chance to win Saturday after the Ga St performance, please give the reasons why.... I would truly like to hear them...
In before "JJ fired em up, they had a team meeting, word is they didn't game plan for Ga St, blah blah blah..."

Anyone who thinks we have a legitimate chance to win Saturday after the Ga St performance, please give the reasons why.... I would truly like to hear them...
In before "JJ fired em up, they had a team meeting, word is they didn't game plan for Ga St, blah blah blah..."
DBALB

Not being argumentative but, there are myriad reasons to be positive...one would think. They learned their lesson, GA State had perfect gameplan and executed it, BYU plays to our strengths better, we considered GA Whatever to be a scrimmage.

All that said, i do NOT feel good about this game. Not sure ill watch game, if i do its on in background.

Reactions: volinbama256
Offense: long way to go. OL can't open a hole for nothing. JG still plays like a deer in the headlights freshman.

Defense: can't line up right. Doesn't make plays. Can't get to the qb. Receivers running wide open.

Seem to be some friction in the locker room.

Can't see the Vols making that big of an improvement in a week.

Hope I'm wrong.....

BYU 35
Vols 21

Offense: long way to go. OL can't open a hole for nothing. JG still plays like a deer in the headlights freshman.

Defense: can't line up right. Doesn't make plays. Can't get to the qb. Receivers running wide open.

Seem to be some friction in the locker room.

Can't see the Vols making that big of an improvement in a week.

Hope I'm wrong.....

BYU 35
Vols 21
Offense: JG plays bad he gets pulled. Shrout or Maurer or JJ I don't care. I hope they sit him to be quite honest play for the future.

Defense: Play aggressive and simple. Give the young guys one job and do it well.

Overall: Message should be "If you ain't getting it done you're on the bench".

Vols 41
Byu 24

Night game gets these guys juiced but still struggle. One of our playmakers make a play to win.

24 Vols
21 BYU

Last edited:
Reactions: nesbuddha66
31-21 BYU,

They looked weak against GS, and BYU is much bigger and more talented. I see an expensive night downtown as I try to drink away my sorrows of what could have been

Date: Saturday, September 7th
Game Time: 7:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Network: ESPN

View attachment 222870

Coming off of the possibly the worst loss in program history, the Vols look to respond against the BYU Cougars in a night game in Neyland. It's nearly impossible to tell what to expect, given the shocking loss the Vols just experienced and the question of how good the team actually is. Let's have a quick look at the match-up

Keys to Victory:

1. Non-Musical Chairs: The coaches employed a clownish rotation of offensive and defensive linemen last week that made little sense in an actual game. Players often seemed to have no idea where to be and were often misalligned. The OL was not awful, but consider the opponet, but the defensive line was bad... and consider the opponent. Hopefully, the coaches will settle in with a crew they think will give them their best effort and have a traditional rotation scheme that doesn't end up being a clown show.

2. Better JG: Guarantano has to do a better job making the plays that win ball games and not just checking down to his easiest option. He lacked touch, self-awareness and seemed generally passive in his demeanor on Saturday, despite throwing for 311 yards. For Tennessee to win, they need much bigger play out of their junior QB.

3. Bread and Butter: Chaney has a tendency to abandon certain aspects of the offense in the course of a game. Ty Chandler was terribly underused and Callaway and Palmer were undertargeted. This offense needs a steady dose of Chandler, Jennings, Palmer and Callaway with DWA getting 4 catches a game. Eric Gray needs touches but is a liability in pass protection. Tim Jordan is fine, but Chandler is the dude and needs to be fed.

4. Intensity: Tennessee had an incredible lack of intensity for a first game... one which they clearly weren't taking seriously enough. To make matters worse, the general response to the loss was apathy, though the media has framed some quotes to fit their negative narrative. The Vols need to come out with an intensity on Saturday because I can promise you BYU would love to travel across the country and take a win from Tennessee in the House of Neyland. Does Tennessee value a win in the same way? Whether they do or not, Pruitt desperately needs this team to get it.

Prediction: I've had a hard time picking a lot of games, and this is probably one of the more difficult ones. I really don't know what we have. I thought I did a week ago, but now, I have no idea. I think the Vols rebound and take the victory. They don't look like world beaters, but they do enough and play football the right way and have enough talent to get it done.

TN 34
BYU 24
BYU 34-27 over Tennessee and a long terrible season picks up momentum.

VN Store

Back