Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in year 2

No, but our latest "dream coach we want because we don't have" Mike Leach, lost to Nevada in his 3rd year at WSU. And he only won 3 games the whole year. This after he'd been a hc for a dozen years or so. Nevada won only 4 games in the MWC that year. But hey...

We hired Pruitt saying "he'll have to learn on the job", "Jones left this program worse off than ever, he'll need 4 or 5 years".....And yet 13 games in, "Farh coach, harh coach" lol.

My man. We have elite coordinators and plenty of talent to beat those guys. You don't get beat.. no.. DOMINATED by Georgia State even if you're a bowling coach coaching your first ever football game. He had 9 months of preparation. You just can not lose that game. You can't run -3 yards in the second half, give up 4 sacks to a terrible team, and forget to call timeout. Absolutely inexcusable for a HS Football coach, let alone at Tennessee.

If this doesn’t make you furious, I don’t know what will.. we should have went ALL out to bring him here

Meanwhile our QB says he did some stuff good, some stuff bad, shrugs his shoulders and moves on.

Our coach says we were prepared and ready, but need to look in the mirror.

Other players were just “flabbergasted”.

Infuriating beyond belief.

I'm thinking Pruitt and staff went into this game planning to rotate players as much as possible to learn what they have and what works. They stuck with that game plan too long and Georgia State was much better than expected.

Hopefully they find combinations that somewhat work, from studying game footage, and look much better prepared this weekend. I'm not writing this season off yet.

If Pruitt is an idiot, he looks at Saturday and says, “Hmmm... things worked out well.”

If Pruitt has a brain, he looks at Saturday and says, “There are at least 19 problems. Do any of you (staff) see more, and how can we fix them right now?”

Then, good football coaches talk and make intelligent decisions and not stupid ones.

I don’t think this is too far fetched

Meanwhile our QB says he did some stuff good, some stuff bad, shrugs his shoulders and moves on.

Our coach says we were prepared and ready, but need to look in the mirror.

Other player were just “flabbergasted”.

Infuriating beyond belief.
This is why we need a youth movement in the worst way. Those young guys want to win and hate to lose. They will fight for 60 minutes. These older guys are used to losing and don't care. I wouldn't play any of them except for Smith and the receivers. Forget everyone else. Play the 2018 and 2019 guys and let's go.

Glad I waited...despite many posters love affair with him.
Sometimes I feel like I let others here influence my opinion more than I should.
Only good thing I did concerning Ubben was after saying he was respected, was to add that I didn't personally read him, so I wasn't swearing to it.

Reactions: butchna
This is why we need a youth movement in the worst way. Those young guys want to win and hate to lose. They will fight for 60 minutes. These older guys are used to losing and don't care. I wouldn't play any of them except for Smith and the receivers. Forget everyone else. Play the 2018 and 2019 guys and let's go.
Honest question: how do we know this about the young players? I’ve seen multiple people say it.

Yep. This thing has been so mismanaged we are still suffering the Butch effect almost 2 years after the fact. It’s unreal.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
I'm thinking Pruitt and staff went into this game planning to rotate players as much as possible to learn what they have and what works. They stuck with that game plan too long and Georgia State was much better than expected.

Hopefully they find combinations that somewhat work, from studying game footage, and look much better prepared this weekend. I'm not writing this season off yet.
How dare you no write off the season.
Come on

Maybe some others can verify but I was told at the time, the year before they were ultimately fired, by someone that would know, and I trust that both situations was true. I shared that privately with some members on the board. They can verify.

Roger. Not trying to be a jerk. Just genuinely curious.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

I’m basically giving this team one chance Saturday and if they don’t come out with some fight then I’m out.

Honest question: how do we know this about the young players? I’ve seen multiple people say it.

Gray and Henry T did the best you could expect from Freshman and didn’t give up. Alontae Taylor played a decent game. Trey Smith and Juan Jennings seems to be the only older guys actually pissed off.

The really sad part is Pruitt doesn’t have any sense of urgency or even really seem to care. JG is an empty helmet at this point. There were reports there were some players on the strip Saturday night chasing girls.

This is a nightmare and unacceptable.

Reactions: Smokeytom
This. Those kids came here to play for Pruitt. I highly doubt they are the ones with the bad attitudes. Doubt Pruitt recruits those types.

Gray and Henry T did the best you could expect from Freshman and didn’t give up. Alontae Taylor played a decent game. Trey Smith and Juan Jennings seems to be the only older guys actually pissed off.

The really sad part is Pruitt doesn’t have any sense of urgency or even really seem to care. JG is an empty helmet at this point. There were reports there were some players on the strip Saturday night chasing girls.

This is a nightmare and unacceptable.

I liked Jeremy Banks’ Fire. He will be a good LB once he has more time in the scheme. He is not afraid to hit anyone and he has good instincts.

Edit: He almost killed the QB on the one backside blitz.

I continue to give this past weekend's debacle too much time than it's worth, however I can't shake the thought that on some level, the coaching staff let the team fail to make a point.

If the rumors of players not buying in is close to true, maybe the coaches took their hands off and let them see what not buying in looks like in terms of execution? It's extreme to think like this, but essentially if you were trying to make this point, this is the game to do it in, a season where it doesn't impact any sort of national ranking, a non conference game, and if you're trying to humble someone, there's noone better to do so than GA State. Now those who didn't buy in get to live with owning the worst loss in Tennessee football history?

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but nothing explains the ineptitude we saw on Saturday. Like many have said, decent high school coaches can get their teams lined up correctly. It's almost as if the players were tasked to do it themselves.

In this context it makes Pruitt's assertions of how ready the team was Saturday almost sarcastic towards his own players. I don't know, just trying to rationalize this somehow, time will tell.

This is where I have landed.

If it Saturday is the same, then IDK.

I think it starts with one of the young QBs. This team’s lack of attitude trickles down from JG. All successful college teams and QBs have some swagger at the position. We’ve got a stoic. Of course if it’s true what you say that Maurer and shrout can’t handle the job, I think were ****ed.

Reactions: StoVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back