Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LA Vol are you surprised of the very few transfers over the off season? IIRC there was a lot of talk that some guys with effort issues (cancer in the locker room?) and we were expecting quite a few to leave.

No. A lot of guys don't have a football future. They just want to graduate, and staying at UT where there is strong academic support is the easiest path.

Yes, and they hire head coaches for a reason. We need one. From Day 1, he's had problems multi-tasking and delegating. Like his players, he needs to focus on HIS job and let other people do their jobs.

He's the HC now. He's not a coordinator. He handpicked the staff he wanted for those jobs-- twice now, money no object. Either he learns to multi-task, manage personnel and delegate effectively or he will not be a good HC at a program like UT.

Was it Jeremy Pruitts fault that JG threw 2 picks and got sacked on his blindside for a fumble because he didn’t read a blitz and Ty Chandler fumbled the ball twice?

Who is to say he wasn’t delegating all game and managing his team and allowing his coordinators to make the calls?

I’m not defending him but to say he can’t cut it after one game is a bit ridiculous. If anything his staff failed him. Because we know dang well what his capacity is as a coordinator and he is one of the best.

Next game will tell what this staff is made of.

It's a simple phone call to the Subelt - Shawn Elliott at GSU or Blake Anderson at Arky State. Problem solved. Who elevates their talent to play well against the P5? Elliott has tons of experience at 46 years old having coached at Appy and USCe and has been an OC. Already knows the recruiting territory. Anderson is a proven offensive guru that covered Fedora's tail twice at USM and UNC as OC and QB coach until he left to take the HC gig at ASU. His wife had cancer and passed away last week.

Both of these guys are home runs. Highly respected within the coaching fraternity. The players would run through fires and walls for them. Dearly loved by the fanbases and communities. Both are high quality people as well as football coaches. UT can have both for far less than they are paying Pruitt to mess this up. We've got to learn to walk before we run and both have rebuilt down programs. Both are accomplished enough to take an SEC P5 program with UT's tradition to the top.
I don't know who would be the best but I think you're saying that we need an experienced, cagey coach that knows how to run a program and can do more with less. I agree. I think recruiting will take care of itself if you can win at a decent clip. I think our focus should be on beating KY, Candy, Missouri, and SC before we entertain thoughts of competing for the East and beyond. We need to execute a successful bunt before we swing for the fences. At the moment, we can't even make it to the batter's box without falling down.

Reactions: JacketVol
Not sure if the below is better or worse. Something more serious?, I applaud him. Something stupid and he doesn't even care about the game? I don't have words.

I read the one post he had and it seems like he is telling the players to stop complaining. Like, “Stop complaining - hopefully in reference to JG” lol but it seems like he was meaning the players on the team whoever the players are.

Reactions: Yazzy
Let’s talk about this real quick. The QB / RB option play that was killing us. All you can do with that is have your LB / SS whatever go to the pitch guy. You literally only have to do one thing contain the outside and make everything go back inside where your help is.

Both LBs Taylor and Johnson multiple times shot through and immediately went to the QB allowing the RB to get outside of the contain and break it big for yardage. The coaches can’t coach against that. The player just has to make the play. They did not and they never forced it back in to our defensive line who was at the line of scrimmage.

Now the LBs aside our Defensive line never helped either because they were rarely in the backfield. With a team that is running the option like that you have to get off your block and into the backfield to force the QB to make an ill advised pitch or keep it and get stuffed. Our players didn’t do that. I am more disappointed in our players then our coaches. They had no will to fight.
They crashed down every play....not just on the option play,but every play. Every ball carrier was able to get outside.

Those other situations are different than with ours. Both Dooley and Butch wanted out a year earlier. With Dooley, he practically begged Hart to fire him and he wouldn't. Butch was trying to find anyone that would hire him. Neither wanted to be here and simply went through the motions their last year. Which in turn only hurt our program by allowing it to further sink into the abyss.
Idk what was goes through any coach or AD's minds or whatever but even Leach admitted to trying for a different gig.

But the ending is the same. Other programs haven't fired their coaches until they start losing more games and that's how it's ended here also. Same results regardless how we get there.

Was it Jeremy Pruitts fault that JG threw 2 picks and got sacked on his blindside for a fumble because he didn’t read a blitz and Ty Chandler fumbled the ball twice?

Who is to say he wasn’t delegating all game and managing his team and allowing his coordinators to make the calls?

I’m not defending him but to say he can’t cut it after one game is a bit ridiculous. If anything his staff failed him. Because we know dang well what his capacity is as a coordinator and he is one of the best.

Next game will tell what this staff is made of.

Well, actually it's almost two years, four camps, 13 games and four coordinators later, if you want to look at the whole picture and be objective about it. Is anyone questioning that he's an excellent DC? If he held that position here, we'd be in luck. But his current job requires a lot more than that.

Reactions: Kingston Vol
Well, actually it's almost two years, four camps, 13 games and four coordinators later, if you want to look at the whole picture and be objective about it. Is anyone questioning that he's an excellent DC? If he held that position here, we'd be in luck. But his current job requires a lot more than that.

At what point do you demand more of the Staff that is getting paid tons of money rather then the HC who helped the team beat two ranked SEC teams last year after going 0 - 8 the year before. Maybe his coordinators and staff need to step the hell up and get some fight out of their position players.

At what point do you demand more of the Staff that is getting paid tons of money rather then the HC who helped the team beat two ranked SEC teams last year after going 0 - 8 the year before. Maybe his coordinators and staff need to step the hell up and get some fight out of their position players.
We’ve already replaced two coordinators and moved the offensive staff around.

Reactions: LA Vol

I think he may need a boss in order to excel. I think maybe you almost need to be a bit of an entrepreneur to be successful as a head coach. Most people who are exceptionally good at their job fail when trying to go into business for themselves.

One of the biggest knocks I've heard on Jeremy is that he doesn't work well with people. By most accounts his players love him but the same isn't always said about his co-workers. His reluctance to pick starters for the game Saturday I think may be out of his desire to keep as many players happy as he can. Everyone brings an apple for Jeremy. jmo.

We’ve already replaced two coordinators and moved the offensive staff around.

That’s my point. Pruitt needs to get up into some staff tail. There is no excuse for the position players not having any fire and not knowing what to do. You can’t blame everything on the HC especially when you are saying that the HC needs to delegate and let his staff coach. Well seemed to me like he let his coordinators do their jobs and it didn’t work out. They are some of the highest paid coordinators in college football they are just as responsible as Pruitt is for getting their players fired up to play.

Guess whose job it is to not only demand-- but get-- more out of his staff? That would be the HC. He picked them; he's responsible for their performance and accountable for the outcome of every game. Fixing personnel problems is the HC's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back