Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be painfully obvious at the end of the season what needs to be done. Heck, probably mid season. But I suspect he'll be back regardless of the outcome unless he wants out badly enough to negotiate a lower buyout.
like i said i don't think it matters one way or the other. if he wants out then that kinda takes care of itself (i don't think that happens though).

if it is painfully obvious, then it is what it is...isn't it? lol.

the question really just boils down to what level of pain are you willing to deal with? lol.

cause no matter what....there's a certain level of pain TN fans are going to have to deal with no matter what happens.

Anybody listening to Swain this morning? If so summarize please. I’m not getting to listen. I usually listen at my desk at work, but I’m off today. Just wondering if he is putting it on the players or coaches or both ?

Reactions: OrangenSC
Rewatched some of the game. Atleast 2 times (Major Times-One Fumble and one sack given in 4th quarter) JG never saw the blitz coming. The corner blitz was the most egregious. He never even looked to his left side pre snap. Never saw the corner walk up. Then kept his back turned to the left the whole time.

JG is not the answer he has got to go.

The O-line gets a bad rep in the media and here much of the time because of JG's incompetence. The breakdowns they do have are mental, not physical. JG cannot count apparently. He is beyond incompetent at pre-snap reads, which the coaches have to know. Some breakdowns are created by the unbelievable coaching substitutions. JG got rung up once when Morris was playing LG in substitution for Trey. It came right up the middle and JG was his usual statue. He doesn't have it mentally. He cannot read anything - coverages or pre-snap. But the coaches should not be using Morris at LG. They have experienced interior linemen that play LG. It was such a simple missed assignment on a delayed blitz that an experienced guy would have waited to make sure his lane was free of rushers before blocking down to help the C.

Saturday was not dumb - it was stupid.

like i said i don't think it matters one way or the other. if he wants out then that kinda takes care of itself (i don't think that happens though).

if it is painfully obvious, then it is what it is...isn't it? lol.

the question really just boils down to what level of pain are you willing to deal with? lol.

cause no matter what....there's a certain level of pain TN fans are going to have to deal with no matter what happens.
I've stated this before but we hold onto coaches longer than any other program would. If we go 2-3 wins this year, there are zero reasons to keep him. May as well hit the reset button, go hire Billy Joe from North Dakota tech and make him rich and instill some hope back. Hope is all that's left and that's pretty much gone if the season goes as I suspect it will.

Reactions: Vols4us
I got no response two days ago, but here it is again...

Listen to Inky’s speech to the team in hindsight of what you just saw. Either God was guiding his message or the coaches straight up told him their concerns. I’m fine with either, but this was known beforehand

Hmmm

South Carolina just screwed theirselves into 5-7 yesterday. They play 4 teams with playoff potential on their schedule. They’re probably not beating Florida either and they haven’t beaten Kentucky in 5-6 seasons. Mizzou embarrassed theirselves but they have a cupcake schedule and will improve over time.. as do we. What we did Saturday and what Mizzou did is no different than what happened to Michigan in ‘07 vs Appalachian State. Or what LSU did vs Troy 2 years ago. Hell im pretty sure that GSUs head coach was the same guy from that App State team. What I’m saying is don’t judge the whole season off of the first game. That LSU team won 8 games, that Michigan team went 9-4. Even Vegas thinks that GSU was a fluke because we’re opening up as favorites for BYU. We win these next 2 games convincingly and we’ll be back on track, so stop showing y’all a**es on here over something that can be overcome. We got 11 games to win 6. Considering we weren’t the only team to look awful yesterday I’d say it’s easily manageable.
Look, I'm not saying we won't improve, but please stop finding reasons to excuse that loss, Saturday. Michigan in 07 had enough equity as a program to afford a loss to App St, regardless of how embarrassing it was. They recovered nicely and finished 10-3, IIRC. Tennessee, on the other hand, was a program on life support with their fanbase, and Saturday, many of those people justifiably decided to pull the plug. "Rallying" to a 6-6 finish and a bowl game isn't going to fix that despite it technically being an improvement. People aren't going to forget Saturday's embarrassment as a reward for a 1-game improvement over last year. Pruitt had no room for error with regard to the frailty of the thin line between guarded optimism and total apathy of the Tennessee fanbase. He lost the worst game possible on the schedule and now needs a miracle season to win back fan interest. Even 8-4 without a win over Florida, Georgia, or Bama will be met with, "Well, shoulda been 9-3...how did this team lose to Georgia State, at home?".

8-4 will win back the heart of many fans he lost who gave up Saturday night simply because they want to have something, anything, to cheer about. 6-6 will not, nor should it. Our program, and you, should aim higher than mediocre.

Reactions: VolSummitt44
Wrong... one player gives you a leader.. this team hasn’t had a leader since josh Dobbs graduated
We'll see next week if one steps up. I think guys were so lax last week and immediately got hit over the head and went into shock and confusion. No surprises next week. Better come out fired the F up like it is Alabama across from us.

Reactions: OrangenSC
and i think this may be the worst part about how that game played out.

i think they showed up believing they could roll their helmets out there and win.

the way the game started, the way it played out, the way it ended..............this team, this program for the past few years, has had a VERY difficult time establishing and maintaining any confidence in itself.

Saturday didn't help in that category, and i don't know how you manufacture it in a single week.

what this team needs...badly...is leadership. be it from players or the coaches, someone needs to be leading and holding people accountable from within. someone that can and will put their hand in the dirt and say "i can...i will" and then goes and does it.

if they don't find confidence/leadership soon....BYU is going to have a great time in East Tennessee next weekend.

I honestly don’t know what to do with Guarantano. I want to like the kid. He lays it on the line and keeps getting back up. He seems to have the physical tools.

However, ever since the pouting at Georgia Tech, the team lost a that “do or die, we always have a chance with Dobbs” mentality.

Granted, there was a lot more going with Butch’s last season than just QB play, but it’s hard for me to not wonder if Guarantano and having so many starters on the sideline injuries started this leadership vacuum.

I think Al Wilson would have put someone in a bodybag on the sideline on Saturday.

Reactions: maotai and Vols4us
all the choices in regards to making a decision on pruitt this year are bad. it's just what you would consider the lesser of two evils.

1. fire him and start over again, and you hit the reset button on the 20 class, and your rebuild clock resets again, right back to 4-5 years. that's assuming you get a competetant coaching staff....of which i'm not sure how many top notch HC's and staffs would be chomping at the bit to come in after yet another failed coaching change. but whol knows...this is an option.
2. keep him. if they turn this season around and finish strong, we're still on the same track we were pre Aug 31. if this season nose dives, then you probably don't sign that top notch 20 class, but you do keep a core of players. and you basically add a year to the rebuild, because we're now gonna do it the old fashioned way....development...so you're in wait and see mode until year 4 at best, more likely year 5.

either way, you're stll 2-3 years away from being competitive if you retain Pruitt, at least 4 if you fire him.

both come wiht heavy does of "what if".

and honestly, i don't know that i care either way at this point. my gut says just stick with what we got and see.

but my brain can't ignore saturday. that was bad. and if people are looking for a sign that he's not it........................................hard to ignore the worst loss in program history.

Agree with the long rebuild but the direction during that time, oof. If it's the wrong way, how long do you go? Here's what I hate, there's a common consensus on this board that either in 2nd or 3rd year there's a huge jump. And that's based off real world examples. But it also ignores those like
Mike Leach
Yr 1... 3 wins
Yr 2....6 wins
Yr 3....3 wins

Dabo Swinney
Yr 1...9 wins
Yr 2...6 wins
Yr 3...10 wins

But there's extenuating circumstances to every coaching record. Almost need him to show a complete turnaround or just flop miserably so there's no doubt (Dooley)
He shows mild improvement and he buys himself time to hurt TN worse (Jones)

What a cluster****.

What's up, guys? For me, gonna do my best to move on from this past weekends debacle. I don't have an answer at all and honestly don't feel like giving this team that much effort to try and do that because it ultimately won't help. Just gonna ride this season out and if it gets better then great. If not we are searching for a new HC, IMO.

I got us now losing to BYU. Flipping my prediction from Thursday: 35-14 BYU.

On the other hand, Saturday I get to enjoy trying out really good food for my wedding reception with my fiancee, family and future fam. Looking more forward to that then the game.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Nope but he can sure light a fire under people..
I refuse to believe we don’t have the talent.. it comes down to motivation, and want to..

Caught the end of that game on ESPN Friday. Big game on national TV against a team full of sons of hall-of-famers. Ice-water in his veins that was so cold he’d stop global warming.

If we can salvage this season and get that kid here, there’s just something about him that screams “program builder.”

Reactions: Yazzy and JacketVol
Agree with the long rebuild but the direction during that time, oof. If it's the wrong way, how long do you go? Here's what I hate, there's a common consensus on this board that either in 2nd or 3rd year there's a huge jump. And that's based off real world examples. But it also ignores those like
Mike Leach
Yr 1... 3 wins
Yr 2....6 wins
Yr 3....3 wins

Dabo Swinney
Yr 1...9 wins
Yr 2...6 wins
Yr 3...10 wins

But there's extenuating circumstances to every coaching record. Almost need him to show a complete turnaround or just flop miserably so there's no doubt (Dooley)
He shows mild improvement and he buys himself time to hurt TN worse (Jones)

What a cluster****.
Johnny Majors at UT
Year 1: 4
Year 2: 5
Year 3: 7
Year 4: 5

Nick Saban at MSU
Year 1: 6
Year 2: 6
Year 3: 7
Year 4: 6

Frank Beamer
Year 1: 2
Year 2: 3
Year 3: 6
Year 4: 6
Year 5: 5
Year 6: 2

I honestly don’t know what will happen with Pruitt but all 3 of these guys took over bad situations and took until at least year 5 to see a big jump.

Heres why Pruitt has 3 years - because even if the season ends without a bowl and people are upset, you know everyone will think about the prospect of Bailey and the possibility he bails if there is a change. If the season goes terribly and we kick Pruitt, theres probably mass turnover, no HB, and we are looming down the barrel of a 5 year rebuild.

The recruitment of HB will be his saving grace, if it does come to that.
What does Pruitt have to do with a QB?

Not saying we fire him - it’s unlikely. But let’s say a disaster 3 or 4 win Year happens and we do let him go. I don’t thunk Chaney is going anywhere. Hell, he might be the head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back