Realistic expectations now that Solomon is eligible!!!

2019 Tennessee 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC

Georgia State W
BYU W
Chattanooga W
@Florida L
Georgia L
Mississippi State W
@Alabama L
South Carolina W
UAB W
@kentucky W
@Missouri W
Vanderbilt W

Solomon is one man. While he should be a major cog in the team machinery, he's not the machine itself, just part of it. That cog could, like B. Kennedy, get dislodged in a single game. So while I share the wild and giddy news we have David's son's namesake, I'm not crazy enough to presume it means the SEC-east (which is could implausibly happen) NCS game for us. We're going to see one heck of a season, I do believe but nothing like the fantasy some of you assume or claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
Somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4, depending on how the ball bounces. I don't think 9-3 is impossible, but highly improbable. BYU, MSU, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt all fall into that "winnable but loseable" category.

I think it goes without saying we won't lose this year.

Next year I could see one or two losses after JG goes first overall.

I feel confident in saying our Defense will be much improved and our record will look like this...

GSU - W
BYU - W
CHAT - W
FLA - W
UGA - L
MSU - W
ALA - L
USC - W
UAB - W
UK - W
MIZ - W
VAN - W

Our glaring weaknesses were the OL and the DL and with the additions of Wright and Morris and the news about Trey the Offense is going to be stout this year. I can’t wait to see what Chaney does with this team. On the defensive side of the ball the news about Solomon was huge because I feel he was the missing piece and Ansley and Pruitt will put together a great defense that will shock some people. My shades are on and all I see is ORANGE!!! Flame away.
My local watering hole has a shot called a "Vol bomb" too!

l0Iy8G3PwyahZST2E.gif

I feel confident in saying our Defense will be much improved and our record will look like this...

GSU - W
BYU - W
CHAT - W
FLA - W
UGA - L
MSU - W
ALA - L
USC - W
UAB - W
UK - W
MIZ - W
VAN - W

Our glaring weaknesses were the OL and the DL and with the additions of Wright and Morris and the news about Trey the Offense is going to be stout this year. I can’t wait to see what Chaney does with this team. On the defensive side of the ball the news about Solomon was huge because I feel he was the missing piece and Ansley and Pruitt will put together a great defense that will shock some people. My shades are on and all I see is ORANGE!!! Flame away.
I was thinking 8-4 without him but 9-3 with him. Great players can typically increase win totals by 1 so if he's all that and a bag of chips then 9-3 should be the bar now.

Go Vols!

Solomon helps us of course...but not for the reason you may be thinking. He isn't going to dominate the SEC. He isn't going to be a tackling machine. He won't get more than a handful of sacks at the very most. But...he will give us good reps and keep the line more rested than it would have been without him. This means we have a better line deep in games. That may very well translate into another win on the schedule. It may be that Solomon allows for a rested Matthew Butler to make a big play or forces a double team on a 3&2 and a LB hits the gap. But, don't look for the kid to ball out and save the world.

Year........................................Pos.. G Solo Ast Tot Loss ............Sk Int Yds Av
Michigan Big Ten FR DL....8.....7.......9.....16.......2.............0000000
*2018 Michigan Big Ten SO DL.....2.....1.......2.....3.........0. 00.00

He's a needed addition to our team but he isn't the second coming of Reggie White or Derek Barnett.

I didnt say he was. Solomon will be a day 1 draft pick no I don’t expect him to set the record in sacks or anything but I do think he will be the difference in us having an effective line to stop the run. DL of Middleton, Emerson and Solomon followed up with LBs Taylor, Johnson, To’oto’o, and either Bituli if hes healthy or Ignont and Secondary of Burrell, Taylor, Warrior, and Flowers make for a potentially great defense.

Based on all accounts Middleton and Emerson have been beasts during the summer and have filled the hole left by Gooden. To’oto’o according to all coaches is better than expected and will be a force. Burrell before Thompson’s issue was already pushing him for playing time so that tells me all I need to know about that.

The only other thing we need to worry about is the Offensive line and based on past records where Chaney was involved I’d say he’ll make sure Friend gets it right this time.

Push games are FL, MSU, and MIZZ.

FLA- looked very beatable against Miami and so until I see otherwise I feel better about that one

MSU- All depends on Tommy Stevens on how they look

MIZZ- all eyes on Bryant

So I’ll leave it with this I hope for 10-2 but 9-3 or 8-4 is possible.

I guess I got a little ahead of myself there.

GBO!

tenor.gif
Or Alabama, whichever comes first!

GSU - W
BYU - W
CHAT - W
FLA - W
UGA - L
MSU - W
ALA - L
USC - W
UAB - W
UK - W
MIZ - W
VAN - W

Lmfao, a dt has now made us 10-2 hahhhhaah. Br happy if we win 7... praise the Lord if we win 8

I like the enthusiasm and optimism, OP. But 10-2 is highly unlikely.
Agreed, no chance in hell 10-2 happens. If Solomon anchors our DL and we get done surprise performances there and at OLB in terms of putting pressure on the QB....and if our OL takes a MAJOR step forward to being just an average SEC unit, then I think 7-5, possibly even 8-4 could be in the offing. But that’s a big IF.

Thrilled that Solomon is available, that’s huge for our DL personnel, but OP shouldn’t lose his head here as he appears to have done. He’ll absolutely help, but he’s not worth 3-4 wins by himself.

Reactions: Titan05 and McDad
might as well go all out here...
11-1 only lose to Alabubba...
we meet them again in the SECCG and pull off the upset in a close one...
we go to playoffs as the #4 team....
Volnation is going wild and all you hear is how VOLS are back....
I LOVE these Orange glasses....
GBO

Agreed, no chance in hell 10-2 happens. If Solomon anchors our DL and we get done surprise performances there and at OLB in terms of putting pressure on the QB....and if our OL takes a MAJOR step forward to being just an average SEC unit, then I think 7-5, possibly even 8-4 could be in the offing. But that’s a big IF.

Thrilled that Solomon is available, that’s huge for our DL personnel, but OP shouldn’t lose his head here as he appears to have done. He’ll absolutely help, but he’s not worth 3-4 wins by himself.

My method for predicting win loss record:

Take the lower expectation in the Win/Loss range from the majority of VN posters. (This year is is 7-5/8-4). I then subtract 1 win and add 1 loss. The method has been very accurate for 2 or 3 years now. I am at 6-6.

VN Store

Back