Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fair though. One more year with your players, same QB, better OC, and easier sked.
It's fair with the team as we know it. But imagine that after the Florida game this has happened: JG, DT, A. Taylor, Henry T, Callaway all have season ending or close to season ending injuries. Bryce Thompson never comes back, Aubrey Solomon doesn't get cleared, and Trey Smith is not allowed to play anymore. 5-7 not only plausible, but hopeful in that scenario. Still think Pruitt isn't the guy under that scenario if he goes 5-7?

The point is, we have no idea what's going to happen this season and it's really dumb to say that if we don't win x number of games then coach isn't the guy! Or, as Kingston has said, Pruitt won't ever even win the east at TN. Impossible to make that type of statement at this point.

Now, if this were 2021 and he has had time to flip the roster and add depth, then at that point you can start making those types of assessments. But it's year 2, we still have very little depth at several positions like DL, LB, DB, and QB. Injuries at those positions could completely derail the season.

It's fair with the team as we know it. But imagine that after the Florida game this has happened: JG, DT, A. Taylor, Henry T, Callaway all have season ending or close to season ending injuries. Bryce Thompson never comes back, Aubrey Solomon doesn't get cleared, and Trey Smith is not allowed to play anymore. 5-7 not only plausible, but hopeful in that scenario. Still think Pruitt isn't the guy under that scenario if he goes 5-7?

The point is, we have no idea what's going to happen this season and it's really dumb to say that if we don't win x number of games then coach isn't the guy! Or, as Kingston has said, Pruitt won't ever even win the east at TN. Impossible to make that type of statement at this point.

Now, if this were 2021 and he has had time to flip the roster and add depth, then at that point you can start making those types of assessments. But it's year 2, we still have very little depth at several positions like DL, LB, DB, and QB. Injuries at those positions could completely derail the season.

Dang. Well yea that’s a different story, lol.

LOL no you wouldn't. And neither would I.
I promise you I would. We’ve tried everything. Might as well let this guy have a longer leash. It’s the only thing we haven’t tried.

The only thing that would give me pause would be if there were a huge problem with off-field issues or if the staff started to jump ship and leave him.

Dang. Well yea that’s a different story, lol.
Exactly. So, yes, if we have 0 injuries then going 5-7 is a failure. I have said that. But if JG goes down and we have injuries on the DL, at LB, at DB, or lose a guy like Callaway, then we are in big trouble. We just have 0 depth.

Exactly. So, yes, if we have 0 injuries then going 5-7 is a failure. I have said that. But if JG goes down and we have injuries on the DL, at LB, at DB, or lose a guy like Callaway, then we are in big trouble. We just have 0 depth.
5-7 is a failure no matter who gets injured imo, cuz it’ll screw our recruiting class just the same 😬

If JG goes down I'm all for Jennings running the wildcat

I promise you I would. We’ve tried everything. Might as well let this guy have a longer leash. It’s the only thing we haven’t tried.

The only thing that would give me pause would be if there were a huge problem with off-field issues or if the staff started to jump ship and leave him.
Well, he isn't going to go 5-7 for the next 3 years so we don't have to worry about this.

In my opinion, I think this staff is too good to fail. Now, is he going to win a championship? I don't know. But I do believe that we have the best staff in the SEC. We will recruit top 10-12 every year. That's going to get us to respectability which is all we need right now. Once that happens then we can recruit at an even higher level and have a chance to win championships.

No way we go 5-7, if we do Pruitt's not the right guy.
100% agree. The talent on this team is undervalued and unrealized because most of it is freshman and sophomores. But there's a bunch of talented Juniors and some Seniors who will show major improvement this fall. There's plenty of talent on the team and it's finally been coached up and bodies have changed quite a bit in a real S&C program. Anything less than 7 wins is a disappointment. Missing a bowl would be catastrophic for the program and Pruitt's future in Knoxville.

Folks can sit here and say, "oh bs, we're not good enough yet. 5-6 wins max." But the reality is that's not good enough and many of those same people acting like 5 or 6 is to be expected this fall will be the same ones calling for Pruitt's head if that happens.

I refuse to believe this team and these coaches can't win 7 games on that schedule.

Well, he isn't going to go 5-7 for the next 3 years so we don't have to worry about this.

In my opinion, I think this staff is too good to fail. Now, is he going to win a championship? I don't know. But I do believe that we have the best staff in the SEC. We will recruit top 10-12 every year. That's going to get us to respectability which is all we need right now. Once that happens then we can recruit at an even higher level and have a chance to win championships.
For the record, I believe this is right too and a pretty safe bet.

I think we get to 9-3,10-2 either in 2020 or 2021. Whether that means we ever win anything of significance, I don’t know. That’s less clear.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Well nothing but the QB is as important as the LOS. We will live and die in the trenches
That is true to a large degree, but in this day of Tecmo bowl offenses, I think the defensive backfield and LB corps are just as important,. If you can't cover or tackle...you are gonna get run no matter how good your DL is.

I am looking for 9 or 10 wins with losses to only UGA and Bama. Everyone else on that schedule is realistically beatable.
This isn’t the 90s anymore. We’re currently on a 3 game losing streak to Vanderbilt. This program is going to have to be built from the ground up. Year 3 will be when we can tell if Pruitt has a chance to fix this thing. Ala Barnes and the b-ball team

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back