2019 Summer Ball Thread

Disagree about every SEC school. Not this time of year
I
I don’t really know for sure. I just know July 15th is a popular time to see some movement with the draft deadline. It’s rare you see prospects at the level of McHugh and Gilbert pop us this late too and UT got some surprises with the draft that they thought they would lose.

Reactions: RollerVol
I
I don’t really know for sure. I just know July 15th is a popular time to see some movement with the draft deadline. It’s rare you see prospects at the level of McHugh and Gilbert pop us this late too and UT got some surprises with the draft that they thought they would lose.

I’ve said this before but it’s about the number of times it happens more than the fact it happens.
For instance I know Vandy had one signee in the hook of “waiting for admittance” and then when one of their guys signed that weren’t sure if he was magically admitted.

I would only agree BruinVol if it was a big event every year and the years in the future will tell. I would agree from past experience with guys I have coached and friends of my sons that there are guys who leave all schools every year for various reasons. I don't think it is over recruiting as much as it is the writing on the wall and getting out before missing a year of playing. I think that players/parents can see by the players that are coming in, whether freshmen or juco transfers that there will not be a place for them. Some of them go to the coach and have a conversation and some just know. There are also some that are not realistic or where they are is their dream school so they will stay and hope they make it or will stay just because they want to play there or nowhere. The top level kids don't worry about it because they know when they commit/go to a top school that they have to compete with their teammates before they get to compete with the other teams in the SEC. I tell mine every week that "you have to compete to wear the T before you can compete to defend the T". (Side note: that would make a great T-shirt). I don't usually hear of coaches coming to players and telling them to leave but the players seeing it or knowing where they are in the pecking order. Mine is there and I want them to win but I also know that it is the coaching staff's job to recruit the best players they can every year as incoming freshmen and juco players. If mine falls down the depth chart, he can either work harder to move back up, transfer, or stay and hope things change. Not the coaches fault for doing his job good. Now if he is recruiting more players than he has scholarships, then that is a problem. But recruiting more than he can carry is not in my opinion. His job is to get the best players to wear a T on their chest.
I also realize next year this time I may be thinking something different but I don't think so because we/my son went into this thing with open eyes. He knows how tough it will be to get playing time in the pitching rotation or batting order as an incoming freshman but that is his desire and knows he will have to work hard to earn it. On a side note, I do not know of any that are leaving that are expected to come back. There is a couple that were supposed to come that de-committed for various reasons and I don't perceive any as over recruiting. Seems a couple that are not coming were for the same position and saw the writing on the wall. Both made good choices for themselves.

I would only agree BruinVol if it was a big event every year and the years in the future will tell. I would agree from past experience with guys I have coached and friends of my sons that there are guys who leave all schools every year for various reasons. I don't think it is over recruiting as much as it is the writing on the wall and getting out before missing a year of playing. I think that players/parents can see by the players that are coming in, whether freshmen or juco transfers that there will not be a place for them. Some of them go to the coach and have a conversation and some just know. There are also some that are not realistic or where they are is their dream school so they will stay and hope they make it or will stay just because they want to play there or nowhere. The top level kids don't worry about it because they know when they commit/go to a top school that they have to compete with their teammates before they get to compete with the other teams in the SEC. I tell mine every week that "you have to compete to wear the T before you can compete to defend the T". (Side note: that would make a great T-shirt). I don't usually hear of coaches coming to players and telling them to leave but the players seeing it or knowing where they are in the pecking order. Mine is there and I want them to win but I also know that it is the coaching staff's job to recruit the best players they can every year as incoming freshmen and juco players. If mine falls down the depth chart, he can either work harder to move back up, transfer, or stay and hope things change. Not the coaches fault for doing his job good. Now if he is recruiting more players than he has scholarships, then that is a problem. But recruiting more than he can carry is not in my opinion. His job is to get the best players to wear a T on their chest.
I also realize next year this time I may be thinking something different but I don't think so because we/my son went into this thing with open eyes. He knows how tough it will be to get playing time in the pitching rotation or batting order as an incoming freshman but that is his desire and knows he will have to work hard to earn it. On a side note, I do not know of any that are leaving that are expected to come back. There is a couple that were supposed to come that de-committed for various reasons and I don't perceive any as over recruiting. Seems a couple that are not coming were for the same position and saw the writing on the wall. Both made good choices for themselves.

Just to be clear I am taking about roster movement taking place this time of year. Almost all Roster movement should take place at the end of the spring semester(May/June)with a few small number exceptions after the draft

Last edited:
I agree BruinVol at this time it is tough on anyone. I really don't think there are many, like 1 that I know of and that was his choice from what I know but as has been said we won't really know until the fall when roster comes out. If there are multiples, that would be surprising. I have had to help guys figure out what to do and make phone calls for them. It is not easy but as I have had to tell some it is easier than after fall. Some choose to stay and some choose to go. Seeing the writing on the wall is harder than most would think. Most guys and especially their parents think they can compete with anyone but for some reality kicks in and they look around and realize there can only be one catcher or first baseman or that there are 3 shortstops ahead of them and they are truly a second baseman so one of those shortstops will probably become the new second baseman. or an outfielder or infielder who maybe can play the field but can't hit SEC pitching.

Outfield will be absolutely loaded next year. Soularie a potential pre season All American, then you bring in Matt Turino (juco all American) Jordan Beck , Tim McHugh , Drew Gilbert that isn’t counting Christian Scott or Evan Russell who both will be definitely be in the mix.

well, like OT said way back concerning ZD...feast or famine...I wish him the best...he was a Vol...;)

GO BIG ORANGE!

ZD VFL but could not hit a beach ball. Later.

Plus he got into lots of trouble off the field, that is public knowledge. Go look if you think I am just trying to stir the pot!

CTV on Sports Talk earlier basically said ZD needs to play everyday to reach his potential.......and hasn't really earned the chance at UT.

VN Store

Back