Official Boxing thread

Triumphant day for tubby guys everywhere!

Honestly I went to bed before it started, was a bit tired and figured the fight was just a formality. Oops.

Damn. Getting ready for work this morning my wife had the TV on to one of the local stations and the news was on, story about a pedestrian being hit and killed by a car but that the police weren't releasing any information about him until they had a chance to notify the family. Now at work a few hours later and see that it was Pernell Whitaker. My first, and still favorite fighter ever. Partially due to him be from my hometown but also just because he was an absolutely amazing fighter. Had some demons in the past but met him once a million years ago at a basketball tournament I was playing in and couldn't have been a more awesome guy. I still go to the gym where he trained a long time ago, pictures are up of him everywhere and he'd still pop in every once in a blue moon and talk with to kids who go through speed training course they do there.

Damn. Getting ready for work this morning my wife had the TV on to one of the local stations and the news was on, story about a pedestrian being hit and killed by a car but that the police weren't releasing any information about him until they had a chance to notify the family. Now at work a few hours later and see that it was Pernell Whitaker. My first, and still favorite fighter ever. Partially due to him be from my hometown but also just because he was an absolutely amazing fighter. Had some demons in the past but met him once a million years ago at a basketball tournament I was playing in and couldn't have been a more awesome guy. I still go to the gym where he trained a long time ago, pictures are up of him everywhere and he'd still pop in every once in a blue moon and talk with to kids who go through speed training course they do there.
So, "Sweet Pea" hit somebody or did he get hit ? A little confused and it could be my reading comprehension, my bad if it is. Loved Pernell, prayers for his family either way. Those days on HBO were loaded with top fights and fighter like Pernell, Terry Norris, Meldrick Taylor, Chavez, Tyson (until that prison sentence), Trinidad, Oscar, Lennox, Evander (tho, he went to Showtime) and even Frankie Randall.

I'm hyped for "One-Time" and Manny this Saturday. Fox even has free fight with Caleb Plant (first time I will get to see him live) defending his title at 7. I think Thurman/"Pac-Man" will be a very entertaining fight. Probably won't get to see it live because I'm too cheap to pay for it, still will follow it live on a site that has round ny round updates. I think Thurman wins by late round (10th round) KO, but it will be competitive and Thurman better be careful. Manny looked really good for 40, against Broner. Broner seemed scared to let his hands go, because Manny made him pay, so Broner went into a defensive survival mode for most of the fight

So, "Sweet Pea" hit somebody or did he get hit ? A little confused and it could be my reading comprehension, my bad if it is. Loved Pernell, prayers for his family either way. Those days on HBO were loaded with top fights and fighter like Pernell, Terry Norris, Meldrick Taylor, Chavez, Tyson (until that prison sentence), Trinidad, Oscar, Lennox, Evander (tho, he went to Showtime) and even Frankie Randall.
Sorry, didn’t ever think that wasn’t my clear on the page as it was in my head. Pernell was struck and killed by the car while crossing a street.

Sorry, didn’t ever think that wasn’t my clear on the page as it was in my head. Pernell was struck and killed by the car while crossing a street.
That's absolutely horrible. Man, one of the greatest fighters of all time and he goes in some freak accident, a damn shame. I've read some articles calling him a top 5 defensive fighter in the history of boxer. When u think great defensive fighter, u may think boring, but Pernell was not boring at all. His reflexes are like Floyd's in his prime, maybe better. Sweet Pee could counter punch, too. Never boring watching him breakdown fighters, not a lot of KOs, but total domination, rarely lost a round. He also got robbed in that Oscar fight, too. I think it was Oscar, pot does kill brain cells when u get my age. Big loss for boxing, prayers to the family

That's absolutely horrible. Man, one of the greatest fighters of all time and he goes in some freak accident, a damn shame. I've read some articles calling him a top 5 defensive fighter in the history of boxer. When u think great defensive fighter, u may think boring, but Pernell was not boring at all. His reflexes are like Floyd's in his prime, maybe better. Sweet Pee could counter punch, too. Never boring watching him breakdown fighters, not a lot of KOs, but total domination, rarely lost a round. He also got robbed in that Oscar fight, too. I think it was Oscar, pot does kill brain cells when u get my age. Big loss for boxing, prayers to the family
Cesar Chavez

Scary situation on ESPN+ tonight. In the co-Main event, Russian Fighter Mad Max was collapsing leaving the ring after being TKO’d and was vomiting violently. They took him to a trauma center where they discovered swelling on the brain. He is in emergency surgery as we speak. It doesn’t look good. Guys life is in danger.

Split decision? Lol
Yeah, Manny was mad impressive and deserved an unanimous decision. But, it doesn't matter, he won and if Spence beats Porter, a Spence-Manny fight would be gigantic. No where near another Floyd fight but a lot bigger than the Thurman fight which did really damn well on pay-per-view from what I have heard. Imo, if Manny could get a Floyd fight again, he would have a damn good chance of beating "Money" this time, especially if he is completely healthy. I don't think Manny/Floyd II would make as much as the last fight, but I guarantee it would be a more competitive fight and have more buys than any fight, since the first one. I would rather see Spence/Manny, because I'm a huge Spence fan and think he is too young and good for a 40+ year old, Manny. Still, Manny is probably the top draw in boxing after Saturday's performance, once again

I, absolutely love Shawn Porter as a fighter and as a host on that PBC show. But, Errol Spence is the best fighter in the world and KO's Porter in the 9th. Then, I expect Spence to retire Manny in his next fight

Spence and Porter in about an hour. Porter is game, but Spence by TKO in the 9th. Dirrell/Benevidez (sp?), looks to be a good fight, too

Porter is bringing it and winning this fight right now. Spence will still get him late, watch. Great fight, so far

Nobody watched this fight ? As a boxing fan, u will thank me, if and when u watch it. Spence/Porter 2019 Fight of the Year

VN Store

Back