The Grill and BBQ thread

I bought a whole ribeye from costco. 15lbs. I’m having a party tomorrow night and want to rotisserie it. I got it home and now trying to figure out what to do with it. Meathead says he removes the lip and cap. But then you’re just left with ribeye steaks instead of “prime rib” cuts. Thoughts?
Don't remove the cap! I've done them many different ways, and the only answer is reverse sear. Roasting at a higher temperature gets the cap and other peripheral areas way too done, ruining some of the best meat.

If you are planning to cook it bone in, I would also recommend cutting along them before hand to make carving much easier. You can always tie it to hold it together.

Anyone see that Treager commercial... a guy is cooking over charcoal, and the Treager boys are saying that he's cooking food that tastes like gass. Very little empahsis on the g. Funny stuff.

Working on a major backyard overhaul, and my old Ducane is burned and rusted out. I primarily cook on my Egg, but we use the NG grill for quick jobs, so I need to replace it.

Any recommendations for a gas grill, big enough to feed 5-8 people, without dropping a Grand or more? NG hookup, will keep it covered.

Anyone see that Treager commercial... a guy is cooking over charcoal, and the Treager boys are saying that he's cooking food that tastes like gass. Very little empahsis on the g. Funny stuff.
I've seen the Treager vs propane ad (hilarious). But, I couldn't find the charcoal one. Link?

Don't remove the cap! I've done them many different ways, and the only answer is reverse sear. Roasting at a higher temperature gets the cap and other peripheral areas way too done, ruining some of the best meat.

If you are planning to cook it bone in, I would also recommend cutting along them before hand to make carving much easier. You can always tie it to hold it together.
Sounds good. In his book Meathead said the cap is his favorite muscle and that it tends to overcook so he cuts it off and grills it separately. I won’t worry about that, but I did take the lip off. What do you think about doing it on the rotisserie in a Kamado at 225? Too smoky?

This evenings protein. 6lbs of pork tenderloin that have been liberated from their oppressive pig hosts. Serves those pigs right. Injected and salted now. Will put on the smoker around noon at 180F after rubbing and let them smoke for about four hours. 😋194F9717-9018-4EF0-8C62-72CE7FE7EB2A.jpeg

Sounds good. In his book Meathead said the cap is his favorite muscle and that it tends to overcook so he cuts it off and grills it separately. I won’t worry about that, but I did take the lip off. What do you think about doing it on the rotisserie in a Kamado at 225? Too smoky?
Too smoky?! there’s no such thing 🤪

Reverse sear and it should still be perfect. 225 is ideal, I just wouldn't add too many wood chunks. Hot and very brief for the sear. Consider brushing lightly with butter or (preferred) bacon grease beforehand.

Post pics!

Reverse sear and it should still be perfect. 225 is ideal, I just wouldn't add too many wood chunks. Hot and very brief for the sear. Consider brushing lightly with butter or (preferred) bacon grease beforehand.

Post pics!
If I’m going that low the only benefit of the rotisserie is the self-basting action. I might as well put the deflector plates in since I’ll be doing the browning on my searburner at the end. All the other rotisserie recipes call for much higher temps to get the mailard going while it cooks

Last edited:
Working on a major backyard overhaul, and my old Ducane is burned and rusted out. I primarily cook on my Egg, but we use the NG grill for quick jobs, so I need to replace it.

Any recommendations for a gas grill, big enough to feed 5-8 people, without dropping a Grand or more? NG hookup, will keep it covered.
I have a 4 burner Broil King Baron that I special ordered from Lowe's that I've really liked. Was about $600-700.

Last edited:
Seeing this broke me. I couldn’t resist anymore and finally pulled the trigger on a Big Joe III. I didn’t get the Joetisserie yet, but may in the future. I have a Rec Tec and also a Weber gas grill with a rotisserie feature. The thing holding me back on getting the Joetisserie is I thought the rotisserie on my weber would be awesome and get used a lot and it doesn’t at all. I’m worried the same will happen with the Joetisserie and don’t want to put out the money and it just sit. Do you think it’s worth it?

Its Friday... trying a differnt way to grill very thick ribeye... bone in. More often than not, when I grill these I under cook them a lot. Will try this...

On the smoker, will let go to 130-135F internal, and then sear on the gas grill to finish off.

Done... and it awesome, and that is not the wine talking.
RSs2Yd5.jpg

Last edited:
Its Friday... trying a differnt way to grill very thick ribeye... bone in. More often than not, when I grill these I under cook them a lot. Will try this...

On the smoker, will let go to 130-135F internal, and then sear on the gas grill to finish off.

Done... and it awesome, and that is not the wine talking.
RSs2Yd5.jpg
I used to order my ribeye "Pittsburg medium". Charred on the outside and medium on the inside. That looks close?

VN Store

Back