The Grill and BBQ thread

I see you have a rec tec rt700. Would you recommend it?

I'm looking at a camp chef, which is about half the cost ($500) of the rt700 or a Green Mountain Grill which is about $800 - is the rec tec worth extra cost in your opinion? I noticed you had an auger problem in another post, is that a common occurrence? Does it get hot enough to sear and lastly does it smoke well or do you supplement with a smoke tube?
I second the Rectec. I absolutely love mine

Reactions: Septic
The camp chef woodwind w/ sear box has peaked my interest the most.

Camp Chef seems to make nice pellet grills. Although, I have never used one personally. That model looks really nice.

I would wait a bit, you may find someone offering a discount with July 4th being next week.

Last edited:
Camp Chef seems to make nice pellet grills. Although, I have never used one personally. That model looks really nice.

I would wait a bit, you may find someone offering a discount with July 4th being next week.

Hadn't thought of that, you're right.

Let us know what you got. Also, those pellet grills have a 1st-time setup to season the grill. Hope it works out for you and have a happy 4th of July.

I'm down to the rec tec rt700 and the camp chef woodwind w/ searbox. Both seem to be well made but the rec tec appears to be superior in construction, on the other hand it's much more expensive and functionally does the same thing as the camp chef... except sear.... fack.

I'm torn.

I'll let you know.

I'm down to the rec tec rt700 and the camp chef woodwind w/ searbox. Both seem to be well made but the rec tec appears to be superior in construction, on the other hand it's much more expensive and functionally does the same thing as the camp chef... except sear.... fack.

I'm torn.

I'll let you know.

I know this is going up in price range but do yourself a favor and at least look at Yoder and Mak pellet grills. What do you like doing most with your new grill; Smoking?

I know this is going up in price range but do yourself a favor and at least look at Yoder and Mak pellet grills. What do you like doing most with your new grill; Smoking?

The Yoder's are quite nice but I do do enough smoking to justify the cost. let alone the $2.5k for a mak. I currently use a Brinkman Smoker and Weber gas grill.

Can you get direct heat with the rt700? In other words can you use like a grill or just indirect smoking and roasting?

The Yoder's are quite nice but I do do enough smoking to justify the cost. let alone the $2.5k for a mak. I currently use a Brinkman Smoker and Weber gas grill.

Can you get direct heat with the rt700? In other words can you use like a grill or just indirect smoking and roasting?

Can't help you there Septic. I am sure you can grill on them but not sure how hot the grill will get. The members that have them will chime in I am sure.

Pretty sure they make Grill Grates for Rec Tec's so I would assume you can sear.

Pretty sure they make Grill Grates for Rec Tec's so I would assume you can sear.

I saw a flyer where Dicks had a Camp Chef pellet grill on special this weekend, went in last night to check it out and left with a new driver. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The grill looked like a stripped down, less robust, basic version of all of their other stuff. Turns out it is, the model is made specifically for Dicks.

Smoke is on, 2 pork loins, and a pork belly. The belly I bought was sliced, so I skewered about 2 lbs together to make it a act like a solid piece of pork, and the remaining pieces I placed on the grill. First shot at doing this cut of meat, but I think the upside will be awesome.

Smoke is on, 2 pork loins, and a pork belly. The belly I bought was sliced, so I skewered about 2 lbs together to make it a act like a solid piece of pork, and the remaining pieces I placed on the grill. First shot at doing this cut of meat, but I think the upside will be awesome.

We (my son) did a pork belly last week. Our first time with pork bellies. We cubed first. Should have left whole for first hour or so, then cubed for saucing up for burnt ends in the pan. Still came out real good, but we coulda done better. If you have a Publix, they do whole pork bellies. Only place in Cookeville we can even buy it.

Obligatory prep pic with the pup! My dad just had bypass surgery and was released this weekend from the hospital, so we are smoking a pork butt tomorrow to take to my parents so they don't have to cook.

IMG_20190702_205921.jpg

Reactions: volfanjustin
Wow, does he have an appetite for pork shoulder? I waited 3 months before I had ribs and four months before pork shoulder.
I was read the riot act about red meat clogging the new arteries. Beef, pork or lamb.
Hope he is doing well.

Smoking a boneless ribeye roast... half to make steak sammiches and the rest for meals.

Here is a website that I think is outstanding for recipes... called Pioneer Women. She has a TV show as well, and when she prepares a meal it usually has some red meat. Check it out.
French Dip Sandwiches

Obligatory prep pic with the pup! My dad just had bypass surgery and was released this weekend from the hospital, so we are smoking a pork butt tomorrow to take to my parents so they don't have to cook.

View attachment 211221
Too early for Pops, better to make a nice turkey sammich.
tenor.gif

I bought a whole ribeye from costco. 15lbs. I’m having a party tomorrow night and want to rotisserie it. I got it home and now trying to figure out what to do with it. Meathead says he removes the lip and cap. But then you’re just left with ribeye steaks instead of “prime rib” cuts. Thoughts?

I bought a whole ribeye from costco. 15lbs. I’m having a party tomorrow night and want to rotisserie it. I got it home and now trying to figure out what to do with it. Meathead says he removes the lip and cap. But then you’re just left with ribeye steaks instead of “prime rib” cuts. Thoughts?
If I were to do it rotisserie style... I would leave the cap on.
Not sure this helps.

Reactions: golfballs

VN Store

Back