ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

Tried to get a ticket to a baseball game in Japan? Korea? How about the Caribbean? South America? Baseball is growing world wide, even gaining audiences in Europe. It ain't going away anytime soon. It's like sped up cricket, which is a monster sport on the globe, which is part of the draw in some places.

Baseball is HUGEEEEEEEEE in Asia. It's more popular in Asia than it is in the US.

NBA free agency is over and they're STILL talking about it on ESPN and Fox. They were breaking down Vegas odds on NBA Finals favorites as of this morning.

There's no comparison on the amount of off-season coverage given to the NBA and NFL compared to MLB. It's no contest.

And you accuse me of making up dumb sh**? :D

Most fans wouldn't "recognize" a 7-foot guy with a unibrow or a 6-8 guy with hands big enough to palm a motorcycle tire. Yep, they'd just walk through the mall in Anytown USA and wouldn't catch a second glance from anyone.

ESPN has a lot of money tied up with the NBA deal.

While empty seats are certainly an issue for the NFL, outside of a few markets like Jacksonville, Oakland, and Buffalo, those seats are still sold. The same isn't true of the 2/3 of all seats that sit empty at every Rays game.

I don't think Florida does baseball. Not sure why they insist that is going to miraculously change. Even the Marlins with 2 world championships to their name have not been embraced by the community at large. The Tampa Bay franchise is so bad, particularly in that crappy dome they call Tropicana Field, they are thinking of playing half their home games in Montreal. A place that already has lost a MLB team because of poor fan interest. I don't believe Florida is a worthy comparison of MLB overall. Even though attendance is down you have to consider that MLB teams are going to play 81 home games. NFL plays 8.

Even when NFL teams have sell outs with thousands of no shows, it's a bad look and strongly suggests that people have better things to do even with the real national pastime. Which was my main point.

I don't think Florida does baseball. Not sure why they insist that is going to miraculously change. Even the Marlins with 2 world championships to their name have not been embraced by the community at large. The Tampa Bay franchise is so bad, particularly in that crappy dome they call Tropicana Field, they are thinking of playing half their home games in Montreal. A place that already has lost a MLB team because of poor fan interest. I don't believe Florida is a worthy comparison of MLB overall. Even though attendance is down you have to consider that MLB teams are going to play 81 home games. NFL plays 8.

Even when NFL teams have sell outs with thousands of no shows, it's a bad look and strongly suggests that people have better things to do even with the real national pastime. Which was my main point.
Washington couldn’t give away tickets last year.

If you don't like the sport to begin with, why would you like that sport's free agency drama? I agree that interest in free agency feeds back into interest in the sport, but ultimately if you don't really like the sport you don't care where the free agents go. To the extent baseball was more popular, it'd have more free agency drama.

You wouldn't. You'd be generating more interest among people that already have interest

Baseball is still the 2nd most popular sport..... they would benefit a lot from loosening up their social media platforms.... yes NBA wins the offseason but that has a negative effect to the regular season due to it not being as much fun to follow since teams are different every year and the champion is almost already predetermined.

What is your evidence that this is the case? People can't wait to see the new look Clippers, Lakers, 76ers, Jazz, Pelicans, Grizz, etc. Nobody cares about the Spurs except Spurs fans, because they have basically the same team as last year. Same goes for the Rockets.

Last edited:
How does that make the game better? Sure it makes the off-season better but I would much rather have my players on my team for their entire career.....players running around creating super teams does not make the game more exciting..... Baseballs biggest issue is not using social media to an advantage and acting pissed off at anyone that likes the game and participated in the social media sharing of highlights and players.

What evidence do you have that this is true? Super teams are just one result of NBA free agency. We only have 1 or 2 super teams right now, but guys are changing teams left and right and the league is wide open right now.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
What evidence do you have that this is true? Super teams are just one result of NBA free agency. We only have 1 or 2 super teams right now, but guys are changing teams left and right and the league is wide open right now.

NBA Playoff ratings down 18% without LeBron James

Using NBA Finals ratings are completely useless. Super teams are a result of how the sport of basketball is structured in general. Free agency just makes it painfully obvious.

How does that make the game better? Sure it makes the off-season better but I would much rather have my players on my team for their entire career.....players running around creating super teams does not make the game more exciting..... Baseballs biggest issue is not using social media to an advantage and acting pissed off at anyone that likes the game and participated in the social media sharing of highlights and players.

The NBA has been the sport of Super Teams since it's inception. It is rare that a Super Team does not win the Finals. This also will be the decline of basketball because talent is concentrated.

The Lakers and Celtics were all super teams starting back in the 60’s. Look at the 80’s and 90’s. Jordan didn’t win until he had Pippen and Horace Grant, then they added Kukoc, Rodman, Harper. The Rockets with Akeem, Drexler, Kenny Smith...etc. It usually takes three guys or the entire opposing team losing 2 of their big 3 in the finals.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
NBA Playoff ratings down 18% without LeBron James

Using NBA Finals ratings are completely useless. Super teams are a result of how the sport of basketball is structured in general. Free agency just makes it painfully obvious.

Who used finals ratings? What is the point of the Lebron/playoffs ratings?

The NBA has been the sport of Super Teams since it's inception. It is rare that a Super Team does not win the Finals. This also will be the decline of basketball because talent is concentrated.

Why will it decline exactly? Basketball revenue has sky-rocketed the last decade, in the era of the super team. Just look at what teams are selling for vs. 10-20 years ago. It's astronomical growth. We've have had 3 teams sell for $1B+ this decade. No team sold for even half a billion last decade. The Knicks sold for $1.1B in 1997 and they are considered the highest valued franchise in all of sports at $4B.

I think most people would say 3+ all-stars in their prime makes a super team. There are a lot of title teams that don't fit that description. For example, the Raptors this year. 2014 Spurs. 2011 Mavericks. 2010 and 2009 Lakers. 2006 Heat.

Last edited:
The Lakers and Celtics were all super teams starting back in the 60’s. Look at the 80’s and 90’s. Jordan didn’t win until he had Pippen and Horace Grant, then they added Kukoc, Rodman, Harper. The Rockets with Akeem, Drexler, Kenny Smith...etc. It usually takes three guys or the entire opposing team losing 2 of their big 3 in the finals.

Kenny Smith? LOL

The Rockets were a lot more about Sam Cassell, Mario Elie, and Vernon Maxwell that Kenny Smith. And don't overlook Big Shot Bob (Robert Horry).

But as you implied, it takes a number of all-star type players to get the job done. Name an NBA franchise that was more a super team than the Boston Celtics, who won 8 in a row? No free agency. Keeping HOF players together for a career was a snap and you didn't have to throw the Brink's truck at any of them.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Who hit the big 3 when Nick Anderson choked? I rest my case.

If Kenny Smith is a big 3 guy, then @Burger is right and nearly every team that has ever made a finals was a super team. I think you have to have made at least one all-star team (preferably a few) and be in your prime, but that's just me.

The Rockets were a lot more about Sam Cassell, Mario Elie, and Vernon Maxwell that Kenny Smith. And don't overlook Big Shot Bob (Robert Horry).

But as you implied, it takes a number of all-star type players to get the job done. Name an NBA franchise that was more a super team than the Boston Celtics, who won 8 in a row? No free agency. Keeping HOF players together for a career was a snap and you didn't have to throw the Brink's truck at any of them.

They were a deep team with a dominant player. Otis Thorpe averaged a double double contending with Hakeem for rebounds. They were stacked, but not a super team. I would say once they added Charles Barkley, they were a super team (and didn't even make the finals).

Reactions: TUSKtimes
They were a deep team with a dominant player. Otis Thorpe averaged a double double contending with Hakeem for rebounds. They were stacked, but not a super team. I would say once they added Charles Barkley, they were a super team (and didn't even make the finals).

Chuck just had too many miles on the tread when he came over from Phoenix. He came so close with that Suns team. Clyde the Glide was also on the backend of his career when he came over from Portland and was a part of their 2nd championship. Now, if Charles and Clyde had been in their prime, lawdy, look out.

If Kenny Smith is a big 3 guy, then @Burger is right and nearly every team that has ever made a finals was a super team. I think you have to have made at least one all-star team (preferably a few) and be in your prime, but that's just me.

Ok it was a poor example. I was in a hurry to get my 2 cents in.

Please forgive me huge NBA fans, I only care starting around May. Although next season has great potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: n_huffhines
Did anybody watch the Espy’s tonight ? There were some really great stories, but damn Tracy Morgan was pretty bad.

Did anybody watch the Espy’s tonight ? There were some really great stories, but damn Tracy Morgan was pretty bad.
I missed the first 45 minutes. I love Tracy Morgan but he was pretty bad, except I liked when he was sitting beside Saquan and telling him about his sister and her kids and he said "I hear you can dead lift 600 pounds? Well you're gonna need to because you gotta carry the Giants this year."

BS. I see their shared posts multiple times across multiple platforms. Any time a player has a big game, it’s everywhere. The A’s have like 3,751 unofficial accounts that drive me crazy. I’m an A’s fan. I don’t need to see Chappy’s latest defensive gem on Instagram and FB from MLB’s account, the A’s account and the 3,751 accounts Insta and FB suggest I watch since it’s the A’s. I can only assume you don’t know how to social media. I’m not even trying and can’t miss it.

Not an issue anymore but baseball from about 2007-2015 was absolutely adamant content came from an official account. It was impossible to find stuff on YouTube. Manfred loosened that up. Hell last year MLB got Pitching Ninja suspended for use of content.

Attendance is down. Post-season ratings are down. MLB marketing is a joke.

At a time when baseball is the only major sport being played, NBA free agency talk dominates the news cycle.

Baseball's profits are a function of TV deals and a 162-game regular season.

Owners don't care if the stands are empty. They're getting TV money and ad revenue multiplied by 81 home games.

Baseball's leadership doesn't care about the safety of fans who bother to show up.

Baseball doesn't care if anyone outside of Gainesville can identify Pete Alonso in public. Raise your hand if you knew who Pete Alonso was before last night?

Yes, my initial comment contained hyperbole, but to suggest all is well with baseball because owners are making money is laughable.

Baseball might not be dying financially, but compared to other sports it's becoming less relevant.

Yet an average regular season baseball, with double the games, still draws more than a sold out NBA playoff game every time.

Yet an average regular season baseball, with double the games, still draws more than a sold out NBA playoff game every time.
Bigger stadiums are a large part of that. Seems like biggest NBA arenas are 20k while the smallest MLB is well over 30k.

Bigger stadiums are a large part of that. Seems like biggest NBA arenas are 20k while the smallest MLB is well over 30k.

Of course but my overall point is that an average regular season baseball still beats a sold out NBA arena and they double the games. There’s maybe 3-4 baseball teams that have legitimate attendance issues

Oh baseball brought in $3B more than the NBA last year BTW. Anyone that says baseball is dying just simply doesn’t have a clue, is an NBA fanboy, or hates baseball.

VN Store

Back