ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

I tried watching them again last week. It didn't take long watching sports center for me to change the channel. 2 chicks talking sports they never played, have no insight on and no real business getting paid to discuss coupled with highlights I dont care about and overt SJW themes had me turning back to the radio in under an hour. I checked guide all day to find anything on ESPN I could watch and found nothing.
ESPN is to sports now what MTV is to music.
The reason SportsCenter (and the other non-live sports shows) suck is because there isn't a point for them to exist anymore. The channel is irrelevant an unnecessary in today's media age outside of airing live sporting events.

For the first time in many, many years the other day, I turned on ESPN's morning programming. I was traveling for work and the client unexpectedly had to be out of their office the last day I was there, so that morning before I flew out I worked from the hotel and turned on ESPN for background noise. During Get Up and about 10 minutes of First Take (that was about all I could handle of First Take, and I had to leave anyway), I didn't notice any insertion of SJW talking points but it was just incredible to me how much they talked about the NBA. I know NBA free agency is upcoming, but discussion of free agency made up about 98% of the airtime. And it was probably only 5 or 10 minutes of actual analysis. The rest of the time was just spent repeating themselves and emphasizing the points they already made.

I also know they're trying to defend their massive investment in the NBA, but holy cow...I would have thought it was the NBA Network if I didn't know any better.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
The reason SportsCenter (and the other non-live sports shows) suck is because there isn't a point for them to exist anymore. The channel is irrelevant an unnecessary in today's media age outside of airing live sporting events.

For the first time in many, many years the other day, I turned on ESPN's morning programming. I was traveling for work and the client unexpectedly had to be out of their office the last day I was there, so that morning before I flew out I worked from the hotel and turned on ESPN for background noise. During Get Up and about 10 minutes of First Take (that was about all I could handle of First Take, and I had to leave anyway), I didn't notice any insertion of SJW talking points but it was just incredible to me how much they talked about the NBA. I know NBA free agency is upcoming, but discussion of free agency made up about 98% of the airtime. And it was probably only 5 or 10 minutes of actual analysis. The rest of the time was just spent repeating themselves and emphasizing the points they already made.

I also know they're trying to defend their massive investment in the NBA, but holy cow...I would have thought it was the NBA Network if I didn't know any better.

To be fair, this has been one of the deepest and talented group of free agents in a long time, and baseball has rendered itself irrelevant.

There’s not much else to talk about in early July, other than maybe Wimbledon and the US-England match tomorrow.

Last edited:
To be fair, this has been one of the deepest and talented group of free agents in a long time, and baseball has rendered itself irrelevant.

There’s not much else to talk about in early July, other than maybe Wimbledon and the US-England match tomorrow.

I’m really hoping somebody says or does something incredibly stupid (Vols excluded) during any of the P5 football media days coming up just to talk about football. Expansion, playoff expansion, hot seats , early big games, I don’t care just something. Tennis isn’t tennis like it was when I was younger, baseball isn’t good for me until September, the World Cup stuff will be cute until nobody cares again next week. I swear if Kawhi goes to the Lakers.....we’ll never hear the end of it. We as in the sports watching world

MLB and NFL need to take a page out of the NBA playbook and do whatever they can to make free agency as interesting as it is in the NBA. Bryce Harper is locked in for what, 13 years? Where is Bryce Harper going could have been a story 3x over the next decade, now we only get it if he forces a trade. NBA has 5 years as a max, and that's only for guys staying with their current team. It's 4 years for everybody else. Kawhi probably signs a 1-1 with Toronto and this is a story again next year.

MLB and NFL need to take a page out of the NBA playbook and do whatever they can to make free agency as interesting as it is in the NBA. Bryce Harper is locked in for what, 13 years? Where is Bryce Harper going could have been a story 3x over the next decade, now we only get it if he forces a trade. NBA has 5 years as a max, and that's only for guys staying with their current team. It's 4 years for everybody else. Kawhi probably signs a 1-1 with Toronto and this is a story again next year.

The NFL has no problem generating publicity during its off-season.

If you took 10 casual sports fans and asked them who Bryce Harper is, let alone who he plays for or his most recent contract, I’d be shocked if more than half answered correctly.

The NFL has no problem generating publicity during its off-season.

If you took 10 casual sports fans and asked them who Bryce Harper is, let alone who he plays for or his most recent contract, I’d be shocked if more than half answered correctly.

Sure, but the NFL is not the NBA. The NBA owns the sports news cycle during their shared offseason.

That'd require getting the MLBPA to agree to things like a salary cap (for both teams and players), a max contract length, etc. Never going to happen.

They weren't able to make "where Bryce Harper is going" be a big story the first time anyway. Baseball is not basketball - in basketball a single player can have an outsized impact on a team, especially when there isn't much parity in the NBA to begin with. A max player landing at a particular destination can make that team a prohibitive title favorite in the NBA. Bryce Harper probably, what, marginally increased the Phillies's odds of winning a WS this year? I bet it didn't sway the Vegas odds much at all. Harper is just one hitter out of 9, one defensive player out of 9, and doesn't pitch. Plus he's underachieved ever since he won MVP a few years ago. The impact of a single player, even a superstar, is limited in baseball. The NBA will always have the free agency buzz because of the nature of the sport.

That'd require getting the MLBPA to agree to things like a salary cap (for both teams and players), a max contract length, etc. Never going to happen.

They weren't able to make "where Bryce Harper is going" be a big story the first time anyway. Baseball is not basketball - in basketball a single player can have an outsized impact on a team, especially when there isn't much parity in the NBA to begin with. A max player landing at a particular destination can make that team a prohibitive title favorite in the NBA. Bryce Harper probably, what, marginally increased the Phillies's odds of winning a WS this year? I bet it didn't sway the Vegas odds much at all. Harper is just one hitter out of 9, one defensive player out of 9, and doesn't pitch. Plus he's underachieved ever since he won MVP a few years ago. The impact of a single player, even a superstar, is limited in baseball. The NBA will always have the free agency buzz because of the nature of the sport.

It's something that builds with the popularity of the sport. Last year was an odd year where 2 superstars were up for FA, because of the long contracts. The NBA has a few every year, and there is a synergy to having so many. That's what you'd see in baseball with shorter contracts. Maybe they don't get as much attention as basketball, but they can at least do better. The media tried to make Trout FA into a story 2 years early, and the Angels locked him up for life.

The NBA has been building to this point. The NFL and the MLB have been all about the on-field product. That works really well for the NFL, because it's a great product. The MLB has seen different results.'

You can count on one hand how many times a big-time QB has changed teams in free agency. Get rid of franchise tags.

It's something that builds with the popularity of the sport. Last year was an odd year where 2 superstars were up for FA, because of the long contracts. The NBA has a few every year, and there is a synergy to having so many. That's what you'd see in baseball with shorter contracts. Maybe they don't get as much attention as basketball, but they can at least do better. The media tried to make Trout FA into a story 2 years early, and the Angels locked him up for life.

The NBA has been building to this point. The NFL and the MLB have been all about the on-field product. That works really well for the NFL, because it's a great product. The MLB has seen different results.'

You can count on one hand how many times a big-time QB has changed teams in free agency. Get rid of franchise tags.
How do you suppose MLB gets the union to agree to a maximum contract length? I'm surprised the NBA got the union to agree to that. Another thing that facilitates more player movement in the NBA is a salary cap for both teams and individual players. The MLBPA would never agree to that.

MLB's problem is a structural one - at the end of the day the fans of your sport have to be entertained by the game, and baseball isn't a game that translates into the modern, digital media age. With each passing day it just feels like the game of a simpler, slower, bygone era. It doesn't translate well to social media, an area where the NBA has excelled. It's become way overexposed - all 162 games for every team are on TV. In the 70s there was a "Game of the Week" and leagues like the NFL and NBA hadn't established firm footholds. I think people are interested in a sports's free agency because ultimately they like the game, not vice versa.

How do you suppose MLB gets the union to agree to a maximum contract length? I'm surprised the NBA got the union to agree to that. Another thing that facilitates more player movement in the NBA is a salary cap for both teams and individual players. The MLBPA would never agree to that.

I don't care. That's their problem. The NBA did it. All I'm saying is that this would improve things for baseball.

MLB's problem is a structural one - at the end of the day the fans of your sport have to be entertained by the game, and baseball isn't a game that translates into the modern, digital media age. With each passing day it just feels like the game of a simpler, slower, bygone era. It doesn't translate well to social media, an area where the NBA has excelled. It's become way overexposed - all 162 games for every team are on TV. In the 70s there was a "Game of the Week" and leagues like the NFL and NBA hadn't established firm footholds. I think people are interested in a sports's free agency because ultimately they like the game, not vice versa.

Of course the entertainment factor of the games has to do with your success, but so does how you package it. The NBA is to a point where the off-court stuff is often bigger than the on-court stuff, so I'm not sure you're right that it's "not vice versa". I think they work together. The NBA maybe had a dozen off-court stories that were bigger than anything that happened on the court during the regular season. Magic and the Lakers. AD and the Pels. Butler and the T-Wolves. Kyrie and the Celtics. Zion sweepstakes. Etc.

Baseball waters down its product with too many games (I believe this is true of the NBA, too) and they're too long and slow. They can change all of that, if they want.

Last edited:
Sure, but the NFL is not the NBA. The NBA owns the sports news cycle during their shared offseason.

The NBA does the free agent day better than anyone . It was especially interesting this season, but that’s the only that it even comes close to holding a candle to the NFL. The NFL is a much more superior product . I think the NBA might even come in third behind college football.

The NBA does the free agent day better than anyone . It was especially interesting this season, but that’s the only that it even comes close to holding a candle to the NFL. The NFL is a much more superior product . I think the NBA might even come in third behind college football.

I agree the NFL is a better product, the NBA just owns sports media is my point. The NBA gets at least as much attention, while viewership of nfl games crushes them.

I don't care. That's their problem. The NBA did it. All I'm saying is that this would improve things for baseball.

Of course the entertainment factor of the games has to do with your success, but so does how you package it. The NBA is to a point where the off-court stuff is often bigger than the on-court stuff, so I'm not sure you're right that it's "not vice versa". I think they work together. The NBA maybe had a dozen off-court stories that were bigger than anything that happened on the court during the regular season. Magic and the Lakers. AD and the Pels. Butler and the T-Wolves. Kyrie and the Celtics. Zion sweepstakes. Etc.

Baseball waters down its product with too many games (I believe this is true of the NBA, too) and they're too long and slow. They can change all of that, if they want.
If you don't like the sport to begin with, why would you like that sport's free agency drama? I agree that interest in free agency feeds back into interest in the sport, but ultimately if you don't really like the sport you don't care where the free agents go. To the extent baseball was more popular, it'd have more free agency drama.

Last edited:
I'll qualify any comments with the precursor, I love NBA basketball. Always have, always will. So the only thing more interesting in the offseason than the draft is free agency. This year, particularly so, with so many great players changing teams. I'm happy to say that I don't see any super teams the equal of the Golden State team with this free agency. Now, if Leonard goes to the Lakers, it might be close, but it would still take a few more good players. Over 3 billion dollars spent on free agency on day one and these are guaranteed contracts. Did I mention I love NBA basketball?

It is obvious that COLLEGE FOOTBALL and the NFL fuels Programming of the "Other Sports". (Which I couldn't care less about; esp the NBA) I wouldn't mind seeing espn close up shop------IF someone else EVER outbid them for CFB. espn went left, then South. I never watch until the Real Games Begin, and I used to keep tuned to it. It's like the Music. It went to hell and lost it's core audience. I failed to mention the PGA, But that's mainly CBS.

It is obvious that COLLEGE FOOTBALL and the NFL fuels Programming of the "Other Sports". (Which I couldn't care less about; esp the NBA) I wouldn't mind seeing espn close up shop------IF someone else EVER outbid them for CFB. espn went left, then South. I never watch until the Real Games Begin, and I used to keep tuned to it. It's like the Music. It went to hell and lost it's core audience. I failed to mention the PGA, But that's mainly CBS.
It’s obvious? I don’t think the NBA nor the NHL is fueled by the NFL and especially not college football. Best part? The reason I chose those two sports is because they’re fueled completely different than one another. You sound like someone who’s never left your hometown except for a vacation to Myrtle Beach.

How does that make the game better? Sure it makes the off-season better but I would much rather have my players on my team for their entire career.....players running around creating super teams does not make the game more exciting..... Baseballs biggest issue is not using social media to an advantage and acting pissed off at anyone that likes the game and participated in the social media sharing of highlights and players.

How does that make the game better? Sure it makes the off-season better but I would much rather have my players on my team for their entire career.....players running around creating super teams does not make the game more exciting..... Baseballs biggest issue is not using social media to an advantage and acting pissed off at anyone that likes the game and participated in the social media sharing of highlights and players.

The NBA is the most popular off court sport there is. The actual sport is only popular to specific bases. Baseball’s demise is the short attention span of today’s technological, everything at your fingertips world.

I'll qualify any comments with the precursor, I love NBA basketball. Always have, always will. So the only thing more interesting in the offseason than the draft is free agency. This year, particularly so, with so many great players changing teams. I'm happy to say that I don't see any super teams the equal of the Golden State team with this free agency. Now, if Leonard goes to the Lakers, it might be close, but it would still take a few more good players. Over 3 billion dollars spent on free agency on day one and these are guaranteed contracts. Did I mention I love NBA basketball?
LeBron, AD, and Kawhi would arguably be the best "Big 3"ever.

The NHL is right there with them IMO.

The NBA is the most popular off court sport there is. The actual sport is only popular to specific bases. Baseball’s demise is the short attention span of today’s technological, everything at your fingertips world.

Baseball is still the 2nd most popular sport..... they would benefit a lot from loosening up their social media platforms.... yes NBA wins the offseason but that has a negative effect to the regular season due to it not being as much fun to follow since teams are different every year and the champion is almost already predetermined.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Baseball is still the 2nd most popular sport..... they would benefit a lot from loosening up their social media platforms.... yes NBA wins the offseason but that has a negative effect to the regular season due to it not being as much fun to follow since teams are different every year and the champion is almost already predetermined.
I follow mlb on Facebook and insta. I’m not sure how much loose they could get and hold even a modicum of professionalism. I feel like you’re barking up the wrong tree

I follow mlb on Facebook and insta. I’m not sure how much loose they could get and hold even a modicum of professionalism. I feel like you’re barking up the wrong tree

They block people from sharing game clips and such on YouTube..... They don’t promote user friendly social media to engage fans like the other sports..... They don’t promote their star players through social media like other sports.... they even said it was up to trout to promote himself.... I love all the main sports and feel this is a lost opportunity to bring in younger fans.

They block people from sharing game clips and such on YouTube..... They don’t promote user friendly social media to engage fans like the other sports..... They don’t promote their star players through social media like other sports.... they even said it was up to trout to promote himself.... I love all the main sports and feel this is a lost opportunity to bring in younger fans.
BS. I see their shared posts multiple times across multiple platforms. Any time a player has a big game, it’s everywhere. The A’s have like 3,751 unofficial accounts that drive me crazy. I’m an A’s fan. I don’t need to see Chappy’s latest defensive gem on Instagram and FB from MLB’s account, the A’s account and the 3,751 accounts Insta and FB suggest I watch since it’s the A’s. I can only assume you don’t know how to social media. I’m not even trying and can’t miss it.

BS. I see their shared posts multiple times across multiple platforms. Any time a player has a big game, it’s everywhere. The A’s have like 3,751 unofficial accounts that drive me crazy. I’m an A’s fan. I don’t need to see Chappy’s latest defensive gem on Instagram and FB from MLB’s account, the A’s account and the 3,751 accounts Insta and FB suggest I watch since it’s the A’s. I can only assume you don’t know how to social media. I’m not even trying and can’t miss it.

Nah it doesn’t affect me at all.....I have my TV set up to where I can watch any dodgers game I desire and also I had no issues finding replays of Bellingers walk off honerun last night.....I have just seen a lot of fans and sportswriters complain about it not being fan friendly compared to the others. They talk about them banning fan created material and don’t have sites where fans can interact as easily as the other sports do. I did think it was a bad move when MLB stared that it wasn’t their job to promote mike trout.

VN Store

Back