'20 TN ATH Reggie Grimes (Oklahoma commit)

Have you watched any of his film? Serious question. I agree with @DaddyChad...He has nothing that flashes on the field or on paper, except for his measurables. Jacquez Smith was a physical specimen and athletic freak, too…we see how he turned out. If our coaches decide that they want him and take him, then I certainly trust their judgment. However, it will not surprise me that he chooses somewhere like South Carolina and doesn’t do much at the college level.

I mean a lot of people like the kid bc he’s five star, he’s instate, I believe he’s also affiliated with NPA, and he has several friends in our recruiting class. Hell I would love to land a five star instate player if he actually played like a five star on the field but I just haven’t seen it out of this kid.

His rating was all about his last name and the fact that the recruiting services thought he would land at bama. Saban doesn’t want him, supposedly our coaches are split on him as well.

This thread gonna be real weird when he does eventually commit here.

Naw we’ll be at page 147 or so by then and all these just June talks will be long forgotten.

I just listened to the podcast and was surprised how much they spoke of him. Even floated him potentially playing TE and how the staff turned up heat on him the past few days. I’d say that’s interesting if I thought VQ mods had even an ounce of insight on what the team thinks/does.

Reactions: jakez4ut
UscE (247) is all convinced he's theirs. They seem to be the only big school recruiting him.

Is it true that we have turned up the heat? I Iistened to the podcast yesterday, but I wasn't so sure since vq doesn't have as many insiders as they used to

UscE (247) is all convinced he's theirs. They seem to be the only big school recruiting him.

Is it true that we have turned up the heat? I Iistened to the podcast yesterday, but I wasn't so sure since vq doesn't have as many insiders as they used to
I’m sure pretty convinced Carolina lands him unless we pursue him.

Have you watched any of his film? Serious question. I agree with @DaddyChad...He has nothing that flashes on the field or on paper, except for his measurables. Jacquez Smith was a physical specimen and athletic freak, too…we see how he turned out. If our coaches decide that they want him and take him, then I certainly trust their judgment. However, it will not surprise me that he chooses somewhere like South Carolina and doesn’t do much at the college level.

Hard to argue with this.

What kind of coaching is this kid getting in high school?

A few years back, OSU boards had a similar convo about Denzel Ward. 4 star, good size. But kinda meh film. And an offer list of Ohio State and MAC teams. Kerry Combs chimed in at one point, on the record, about the level of coaching these kids transition into. After a great college career, Ward was the 4th overall pick in the draft last year.

A lot of athletes turn out to be busts as football players. It's risk vs reward. Tennessee is an up and coming program, but the idea that they don't have room on their roster for a potential high-ceiling prospect sounds rather bizarre.

Word is there are some questions as to where he fits positionally. Comments about him being recruited more because of his athleticism at his size. Makes me think there’s some technique issues preventing him from being an obvious fit at a given position. Big and fast - we’ll find him a role :)

You see all the time where at the high school level, a kid that has the combination of size and athleticism, end up being used all over the field - even often as the QB in some capacity - because at the high school level that kind of DNA is hard to come by. So those kids stay on the field and often carry their teams.

But you can also see how as a result of this, those kids often don't get the specific coaching and training on the fundamentals of any one position, because they are used at all the positions. So they can become more of a "Jack of all trades, Master of none" sort of athlete, not because they can't do any better, but because they have no choice.

The hope is that this doesn't continue at the collegiate level: that a college staff can evaluate and pinpoint one position the kid can click into, and then that staff doesn't give up and then say, "ok, how 'bout we try you at this one", after a year, but teach the kid until his skill sets and knowledge grows into his freakish athleticism. And then, he'll become a beast....

You see all the time where at the high school level, a kid that has the combination of size and athleticism, end up being used all over the field - even often as the QB in some capacity - because at the high school level that kind of DNA is hard to come by. So those kids stay on the field and often carry their teams.

But you can also see how as a result of this, those kids often don't get the specific coaching and training on the fundamentals of any one position, because they are used at all the positions. So they can become more of a "Jack of all trades, Master of none" sort of athlete, not because they can't do any better, but because they have no choice.

The hope is that this doesn't continue at the collegiate level: that a college staff can evaluate and pinpoint one position the kid can click into, and then that staff doesn't give up and then say, "ok, how 'bout we try you at this one", after a year, but teach the kid until his skill sets and knowledge grows into his freakish athleticism. And then, he'll become a beast....
I hope so! We gotta lock down these in-state 4/5 stahs and start changing the narrative on Big Orange Country.

Agree but.......

Lyle says:
wrong.gif

Apparently Joe Anderson was trained by Grimes Sr and SC is working that connection to get him. I’m sure they’re negatively recruiting the hell out of us. Think X said that Muschamp was one of the coaches doing it to us the most

South Carolina and Vandy may be the most important conference games that Pruitt needs to show that he can win this year for recruiting and perception. He's shown he can beat Kentucky. I believe beating Missouri is important, but not as important for recruiting purposes as beating Muschamp and shutting Vandy up.

The 2020 and 2021 seasons are when UT should be back going toe-to-toe with Florida and Georgia. That's not to say they couldn't beat or compete with them this year, but those are the years when the talent gap will be significantly lessened enough that it should no longer be a shocking upset if UT beats them.

South Carolina and Vandy may be the most important conference games that Pruitt needs to show that he can win this year for recruiting and perception. He's shown he can beat Kentucky. I believe beating Missouri is important, but not as important for recruiting purposes as beating Muschamp and shutting Vandy up.

The 2020 and 2021 seasons are when UT should be back going toe-to-toe with Florida and Georgia. That's not to say they couldn't beat or compete with them this year, but those are the years when the talent gap will be significantly lessened enough that it should no longer be a shocking upset if UT beats them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this

We could bury both South Carolina and Vandy this year with a victory. The UT game determines if Muschamp can tread water at 6-6. South Carolina likely goes 5-7 if they lose to us. I think Vandy will go 0-8 if they lose to us.

VN Store

Back