Potential Starting Line up and Rotation 2019-2020

So only if you’re full does improving your roster apply? Are you positive that someone was going to be ran off to make room?
So, yes. Cal had a spot.

No, I’m not positive anyone was going to be run off. But that rumor was certainly strong and you were a big part of fanning its flames.

The best part about this roster is its versatility. Barnes loves to play matchups and this roster allow anything from small ball 3 guard lineups to front court size lineups. I suspect early in the season we may see multiple starting lineups based on matchups as well as to see who is going to step up. The good news is there is a ton of versatile players. Now we need some guys to step up and be the dogs (my vote is Turner and Bowden), but surrounding those guys with swiss army pieces is a good thing. Almost every player on this roster (except ORN who is an unkown a bit and Plavsic who is a 5) can move up and down the lineup playing at least 2 positions.

Turner - 1, 2
Bowden - 1, 2, 3
James - 1, 2, 3
Pons - 2, 3, 4
Johnson - 2, 3
Gaines - 1 (he has been working on that at prep), 2, 3
Pember - 3, 4
Fulky - 4, 5
Kent - 4, 5
Burns - 4, 5
ORN - 4
Plavsic - 5

Small ball 3 guard lineup
G Turner
G Bowden
G James
F Fulky
F Plavsic

Front court size
G James
G Bowden
F Kent
F Burns
C Plavsic

The best part about this roster is its versatility. Barnes loves to play matchups and this roster allow anything from small ball 3 guard lineups to front court size lineups. I suspect early in the season we may see multiple starting lineups based on matchups as well as to see who is going to step up. The good news is there is a ton of versatile players. Now we need some guys to step up and be the dogs (my vote is Turner and Bowden), but surrounding those guys with swiss army pieces is a good thing. Almost every player on this roster (except ORN who is an unkown a bit and Plavsic who is a 5) can move up and down the lineup playing at least 2 positions.

Turner - 1, 2
Bowden - 1, 2, 3
James - 1, 2, 3
Pons - 2, 3, 4
Johnson - 2, 3
Gaines - 1 (he has been working on that at prep), 2, 3
Pember - 3, 4
Fulky - 4, 5
Kent - 4, 5
Burns - 4, 5
ORN - 4
Plavsic - 5

Small ball 3 guard lineup
G Turner
G Bowden
G James
F Fulky
F Plavsic

Front court size
G James
G Bowden
F Kent
F Burns
C Plavsic
Agree with most, except that Plavsic can play the 4. guy runs like a deer and has the skill set to play both.

Agree with most, except that Plavsic can play the 4. guy runs like a deer and has the skill set to play both.

I thought about putting Plavsic down for 4,5 as well. I just wondered if he played the 4 who would man the 5. You are right though, that he has the skills. ORN may very well be able to play multiple positions too, but who knows.

I thought about putting Plavsic down for 4,5 as well. I just wondered if he played the 4 who would man the 5. You are right though, that he has the skills. ORN may very well be able to play multiple positions too, but who knows.
I'd say fulky at the 5 with Plavsic at 4 could be productive. Especially for defensive purposes.

I don't think of there being a huge difference between a 4 and a 5 since the back to the basket low post player isn't nearly as common anymore.

James, Bowden, Turner, Johnson, Pons, Fulky, ORN, Plavsic, Burns and Kent...that’s 10 guys for 200 minutes, most of them are versatile enough that they can ply multiple positions. Still allows the ability to redshirt Gaines and Pember if that’s what the staff ultimately wants to do.

James, Bowden, Turner, Johnson, Pons, Fulky, ORN, Plavsic, Burns and Kent...that’s 10 guys for 200 minutes, most of them are versatile enough that they can ply multiple positions. Still allows the ability to redshirt Gaines and Pember if that’s what the staff ultimately wants to do.

If Plavsic isn’t eligible I’d be shocked if we used 9 scholarships guys for the whole year. If he is eligible I’d venture to say that one of those guys will at least play a little bit.

If Plavsic isn’t eligible I’d be shocked if we used 9 scholarships guys for the whole year. If he is eligible I’d venture to say that one of those guys will at least play a little bit.

If Plavsic isn’t eligible yes that changes things, and yes, it’s no guarantee they redshirt both...I’m honestly not sure they want to redshirt Gaines.

If Plavsic isn’t eligible yes that changes things, and yes, it’s no guarantee they redshirt both...I’m honestly not sure they want to redshirt Gaines.

Makes sense. I think they definitely want to RS Pember. Even if Plavsic isn’t eligible

At this point, going to just have to hope the roster is like most NBA rosters. (*Note, not saying the Vols are full of NBA players.) But as a rule in the NBA the only thing that keeps bench guys from putting up big stats are limited minutes. Hopefully our guys can play but just weren't getting minutes because what was in front of them. Barnes, on the surface, takes a lot of players that don't seem like they would be able to be a top 10 team, but he's gotten us there with those guys. I wasn''t happy with his UCLA stupidity, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the court as far as getting 20 wins on the board goes. Now if he goes out and heads to the NIT next season, that's a huge failure unless it's just an injury plagued year, you shouldn't be in the NIT in year 5 as a top 5 paid head coach. But even then, Barnes pretty much has 0 job pressure for laying an egg if it happened, just mad fans. Even Calipari bombed into the NIT a few years ago and UK didn't fire him for it.

It seems similar to Barnes' 2nd Tennessee team that had all the new faces; Williams, Bowden, Bone, Turner, Fulkerson. No idea who would really establish themselves as the alpha dog in the group, but it worked itself out, and I trust it will again. The new guys will have to assimilate themselves and find their niche to help the team. Leaders will arise from that.
3 of 5 those "new faces" will be starters, so not as much unknown.

VN Store

Back