The Golf Thread

No. If one “hangs back” or “reverse pivots”, the spine changes by tilting back.

Either way, focusing on the posture is key.
I don't think that a lot of people are flexible enough to maintain their spine angle, and they tend to stand up at the top of their backswing because it's more comfortable. It's the same as their wrist cock at the top or coming down. A cupped lead or left wrist (on a right hander) is more comfortable and easier than a bowed left wrist. Do you agree?

Edit: I changed the post to a cupped left wrist on a right hander. I mistakenly called it the trailing wrist instead of the lead wrist. I knew what I was trying to say , but called it by the wrong name.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
I don't think that a lot of people are flexible enough to maintain their spine angle, and they tend to stand up at the top of their backswing because it's more comfortable. It's the same as their wrist cock at the top or coming down. A cupped trailing wrist is more comfortable and easier than a bowed wrist. Do you agree?
absolutely.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
65016001_10158636734292782_3152142791354613760_n.jpg

I don't think that a lot of people are flexible enough to maintain their spine angle, and they tend to stand up at the top of their backswing because it's more comfortable. It's the same as their wrist cock at the top or coming down. A cupped lead or left wrist (on a right hander) is more comfortable and easier than a bowed left wrist. Do you agree?

Edit: I changed the post to a cupped left wrist on a right hander. I mistakenly called it the trailing wrist instead of the lead wrist. I knew what I was trying to say , but called it by the wrong name.
I knew what ya meant

I knew what ya meant
I knew that you did, but thought I needed to clarify for people that didn't.

P.S. I hit it so bad today that it made me want to quit. I'm getting old, I hurt, and it's no fun to beat it around when you know that you used to be decent, and can't do it anymore. I feel as stiff and sore as Nicklaus looks, and I am 10 years younger than him. Arthritis from your hands to your wrists, neck, back, shoulder, knees, and feet sucks. My brother, who was once an assistant pro, quit playing at about age 60, because he wasn't able to play at a high level anymore. I am 69 now.

I knew that you did, but thought I needed to clarify for people that didn't.

P.S. I hit it so bad today that it made me want to quit. I'm getting old, I hurt, and it's no fun to beat it around when you know that you used to be decent, and can't do it anymore. I feel as stiff and sore as Nicklaus looks, and I am 10 years younger than him. Arthritis from your hands to your wrists, neck, back, shoulder, knees, and feet sucks. My brother, who was once an assistant pro, quit playing at about age 60, because he wasn't able to play at a high level anymore. I am 69 now.
I get it. I’m “only” 49, but knee surgery and spinal fusions have taken it’s toll. Everything hurts. We just have to find different ways to score now. Can’t rip 250 yrd 3 woods over water anymore.

I get it. I’m “only” 49, but knee surgery and spinal fusions have taken it’s toll. Everything hurts. We just have to find different ways to score now. Can’t rip 250 yrd 3 woods over water anymore.
I don't know that I ever could do that, but I do remember (about 20-25 years ago?) hitting a Titleist PT13 3 wood to a back left pin on a Par 5 from 246 that left me about 15 feet for eagle. I didn't make it, but it had to carry 240 to get over a trap and stop within about 30 feet to stay on the green. The shot called for a draw, which I could hit with every club I had, except for that PT13, which tended to tail right. I hit a 10 foot fade to a back left corner pin. The green was slightly elevated, especially on that left side. If you missed left, it was going to go downhill away from the hole. Probably as good of a shot as I ever hit, including a full 5 wood holeout. There are just a few shots that stand out in my mind over the 55 years that I have been playing.

I don't know that I ever could do that, but I do remember (about 20-25 years ago?) hitting a Titleist PT13 3 wood to a back left pin on a Par 5 from 246 that left me about 15 feet for eagle. I didn't make it, but it had to carry 240 to get over a trap and stop within about 30 feet to stay on the green. The shot called for a draw, which I could hit with every club I had, except for that PT13, which tended to tail right. I hit a 10 foot fade to a back left corner pin. The green was slightly elevated, especially on that left side. If you missed left, it was going to go downhill away from the hole. Probably as good of a shot as I ever hit, including a full 5 wood holeout. There are just a few shots that stand out in my mind over the 55 years that I have been playing.
It's the good shots that keep me playing (the few I manage lol).

Outside of the social aspect of playing the game, that's really the only reason I get out there. I'm terrible, but I know there will be 4-5 really good shots that I'll hit, and I still get enjoyment from that.
I’m going to get back to competition next year when I turn 50........so I’m back into “work “ mode on the game. Fun is over.😁

VN Store

Back