The Golf Thread

Gary "Mothereffing" Woodland ! Never heard of him before this tournament, but nothing but respect. Easy guy to root for

Reactions: MAD
Anyone else in here ever just hang up the driver for a while? I’ve been teeing off with a hybrid off the deck and hitting it straight for about 220. My driver doesn’t seem to do anything but get me in trouble.

Anyone else in here ever just hang up the driver for a while? I’ve been teeing off with a hybrid off the deck and hitting it straight for about 220. My driver doesn’t seem to do anything but get me in trouble.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Go with what you're comfortable with. There's a lot of good golf that can be played from 200 yards of the tee in the fairway.

Reactions: Rishvol
My driver and putter have been the only things I can seem to get comfortable with right now. I can’t seem to consistently hit my irons now for whatever reason. Was perfectly fine until about a month ago played in a tournament and ever since then it’s just be gone.

My driver and putter have been the only things I can seem to get comfortable with right now. I can’t seem to consistently hit my irons now for whatever reason. Was perfectly fine until about a month ago played in a tournament and ever since then it’s just be gone.
I'm in the same boat. It was the complete opposite last year. Driver went right was able to get on the green with a chance with par and walk away with a double. Now it's driver 270-280, shank until on the green for a bogey chance make it and on to the next hole

I should after yesterday. That is the worst I’ve ever driven the ball.

More loft and shorter length are your friends.

No I just slice the ever living piss out of it. I don’t slice anything else, if anything I draw my irons and fairway clubs. I’ve always battled this slice and finally conceded that I will never get rid of it.

I’ve tried all the tricks: swing more to the right, close the club face, shorten up the back swing, step the right foot back. What ends up happening is I can’t make a good contact.

It’s just not a comfortable club for me. I may just end up being one of those players that legitimately just never pulls out a driver. I hate it too, because driving is supposed to be the fun part.

No I just slice the ever living piss out of it. I don’t slice anything else, if anything I draw my irons and fairway clubs. I’ve always battled this slice and finally conceded that I will never get rid of it.

I’ve tried all the tricks: swing more to the right, close the club face, shorten up the back swing, step the right foot back. What ends up happening is I can’t make a good contact.

It’s just not a comfortable club for me. I may just end up being one of those players that legitimately just never pulls out a driver. I hate it too, because driving is supposed to be the fun part.
Are you turning enough? That was my problem. Another thing I do is drop my left shoulder. Less power but much straighter shot

By slice, I assume that you are hitting a push slice, because if you can draw the other clubs, you must be swinging inside out. If so, it isn't a path problem as much as you seem to be leaving the clubface open. If you are starting the ball fairly straight or slightly right of target, I would think the clubface is open due to either the inability to square up an overly long driver, too little loft, or staying on your right side, trying to lift the ball in the air.

I think you might try a fitter to see how you hit a driver with a shorter shaft and more loft. Also, your shaft flex may be too stiff or even too soft, and maybe too light. Also, don't be afraid to change your grip to a stronger one just for the driver, ball position and teeing height, moving it up in your stance. If your slice starts to the left, that is a different problem. I have a feeling that due to the way you hit your other clubs, that you have a high, right push slice.

By slice, I assume that you are hitting a push slice, because if you can draw the other clubs, you must be swinging inside out. If so, it isn't a path problem as much as you seem to be leaving the clubface open. If you are starting the ball fairly straight or slightly right of target, I would think the clubface is open due to either the inability to square up an overly long driver, too little loft, or staying on your right side, trying to lift the ball in the air.

I think you might try a fitter to see how you hit a driver with a shorter shaft and more loft. Also, your shaft flex may be too stiff or even too soft, and maybe too light. Also, don't be afraid to change your grip to a stronger one just for the driver, ball position and teeing height, moving it up in your stance. If your slice starts to the left, that is a different problem. I have a feeling that due to the way you hit your other clubs, that you have a high, right push slice.

It starts down the middle like I just hit a bomber. About halfway through the flight path, it takes a hard right, like hard enough that even if I’m aiming left it will still be out of bounds right.

I tried closing up the club face and started hooking short and left really bad. It’s just a mess of a club for me. I hadn’t considered getting fitted for a better driver though, maybe that could help. It’s just hard to justify spending $500 on one club when that’s what I pay for a set of irons.

It starts down the middle like I just hit a bomber. About halfway through the flight path, it takes a hard right, like hard enough that even if I’m aiming left it will still be out of bounds right.

I tried closing up the club face and started hooking short and left really bad. It’s just a mess of a club for me. I hadn’t considered getting fitted for a better driver though, maybe that could help. It’s just hard to justify spending $500 on one club when that’s what I pay for a set of irons.

1)Do all your shots with all clubs start relatively straight?

2) Do you take a divot with irons, and are they deep or shallow, and do they point to the target, or right or left?

They do make drivers with a draw bias that have either a little offset, a more upright lie amgle, a closed face, or more weighting toward the heel to make it easier to close the clubface at impact. Try moving the ball forward in your stance and see if that helps any. That will give the club a fraction more time to close.

I really think that you would do better with a shorter, and maybe somewhat heavier driver. Find an old Callaway Hawkeye driver. They will be cheap. There are notorious hooking clubs. Some call them Hookeye. See if you can find a 12 degree Taylor Made SLDR. It is basically a 2 wood, and is 43.5 inches long. I have one, and can hit it within 10-15 yards of my driver, and it is easy to hit good every time. It seems to be a bit hooky for me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Go with what you're comfortable with. There's a lot of good golf that can be played from 200 yards of the tee in the fairway.
The guy who taught me to play handed me a 7 iron and a putter and we played about 10 rounds that way. I can hit my 7, but that's about the only club I can hit with consistency. I use my 5 wood off the tee.

The guy who taught me to play handed me a 7 iron and a putter and we played about 10 rounds that way. I can hit my 7, but that's about the only club I can hit with consistency. I use my 5 wood off the tee.
Just swing everything like a smooth 7 iron and you'll be shocked. The biggest problem most people have is overswinging the long clubs. Nobody believes it but you can use the same amount of energy and the extra length of the shaft and lower loft will generate the extra power for you.

VN Store

Back