How would you rate John Chavis as a Defensive Coordinator?

He was a good dc but his defensive schemes became predictable later in his career at UT. He was a good coach

Reactions: Remy
I agree with your post about weakness against the fun & gun.
And at some point he just quit being a recruiter.
Never was a recruiter for us. Fulmer lined em up and closed. The kids did want to play for him after visits if not already sold by his reputation. Started getting ranked for recruiting at LSU so something changed. As a DC I rank him an A. Aware of shortcomings but he was nothing if not great.

When his defenses were clicking they were fun to watch and drove the momentum in a game. In his prime he could dial up a perfect blitz at the perfect moment. I think his best years were 1998 to 2005 or so and then like the rest of Fulmer's staff he became complacent and lazy.

He also had a tendency to stick with the game plan even if it was obvious it was not working. 2007 California comes to mind, when he did call a blitz the QB would panic and throw it away but more often than not he kept dropping back in coverage and rushing 4.

Never was a recruiter for us. Fulmer lined em up and closed. The kids did want to play for him after visits if not already sold by his reputation. Started getting ranked for recruiting at LSU so something changed. As a DC I rank him an A. Aware of shortcomings but he was nothing if not great.
Not saying he was Sal Sunseri bad but dont think he is anything close to an A. Dooleys hire of Kevin Steele was squashed because he gave up 70 to WVU. Yet Chavis have up 62 and 59 and a slew of 30-40 point games as well.

Reactions: onevol74
Not saying he was Sal Sunseri bad but dont think he is anything close to an A. Dooleys hire of Kevin Steele was squashed because he gave up 70 to WVU. Yet Chavis have up 62 and 59 and a slew of 30-40 point games as well.
That you even brought up Sunseri’s name requires you to recuse yourself. EVERY DC has had breakdowns...every single one. A because I grade by overall product.

Reactions: pimo1
Nope. Recruiting is the reason CPF has NC on his resume and the Chief didn't do much of that. I'd give him an overall B for his time at Tennessee; he was a good but not great DC.
Driving force of that NC was Al Wilson...coached by Chief. Just bumped my rating up to A+.

A lot of great points in here. However much credit he gets, he gets just as much blame. The Chavis D infamously cost us a run at multiple ‘ships, specifically in 95 and 01.
Or he was a major reason we were ever in contention for those championships. Pesky narratives and opinions!

Reactions: ksgovols
His defensive strategy was copied, many times, and still being used as a model, today. Just look at LSU and Bama. It was really very simple. Put two huge run stoppers, at DT (Henderson, Haynesworth, etc), force everything outside, so your fast LB's could run it down. DE's were pure pass rushers, with motors that never quit. We played a lot of two-deep zone, with the safeties, and mixed up coverages with the corners. Overall, the defense was aggressive, and tried to force turnovers, giving the offense more opportunities. When Chavis had depth, at the LB and D-line, his defense was tough to handle. Especially when coupled with a balanced offensive attack like Cut's. The kicking game was huge. Pinning offenses deep, and putting pressure on them, forcing them to drive the length of the field, turn it over, and make mistakes. All phases complimented each other. We need that now.

His defensive strategy was copied, many times, and still being used as a model, today. Just look at LSU and Bama. It was really very simple. Put two huge run stoppers, at DT (Henderson, Haynesworth, etc), force everything outside, so your fast LB's could run it down. DE's were pure pass rushers, with motors that never quit. We played a lot of two-deep zone, with the safeties, and mixed up coverages with the corners. Overall, the defense was aggressive, and tried to force turnovers, giving the offense more opportunities. When Chavis had depth, at the LB and D-line, his defense was tough to handle. Especially when coupled with a balanced offensive attack like Cut's. The kicking game was huge. Pinning offenses deep, and putting pressure on them, forcing them to drive the length of the field, turn it over, and make mistakes.
And he also got cute with the Mustang package and other tweaks. You can be great and flawed. He’s a great example.

Or he was a major reason we were ever in contention for those championships. Pesky narratives and opinions!
Giving up 48 straight when you have a 16 point lead in the swamp is the definition pooping the bed. Letting a backup Qb run draws at will in the SECCG also falls in that category. We had record setting offenses both years too. I would probably throw 97 in there too even though i dont think anyone was going to beat Nebraska that year.

His defensive strategy was copied, many times, and still being used as a model, today. Just look at LSU and Bama. It was really very simple. Put two huge run stoppers, at DT (Henderson, Haynesworth, etc), force everything outside, so your fast LB's could run it down. DE's were pure pass rushers, with motors that never quit. We played a lot of two-deep zone, with the safeties, and mixed up coverages with the corners. Overall, the defense was aggressive, and tried to force turnovers, giving the offense more opportunities. When Chavis had depth, at the LB and D-line, his defense was tough to handle. Especially when coupled with a balanced offensive attack like Cut's. The kicking game was huge. Pinning offenses deep, and putting pressure on them, forcing them to drive the length of the field, turn it over, and make mistakes.
Lol at Saban getting defensive philosophy from Chavis.

As said above, Chavis an above average DC overall but really struggled at times with allowing game winning drives and non traditional offenses.

A lot of great points in here. However much credit he gets, he gets just as much blame. The Chavis D infamously cost us a run at multiple ‘ships, specifically in 95 and 01.

We’ve done so much better since he left and joined Les Miles at LSU for 5 years. Guess they probably Don’t give him any credit for their national championship either.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back