Aviation Discussion

I’m fascinated by airplanes. I’m considering getting into working on them. Anyone here a airplane mechanic and can talk to me about it?

I work with a guy that used to. I know he went to a school in Memphis for it. Could get more info if you wanted.

How long have you been at the Memphis airport?

Got a buddy whose dad retired from there as a ATC.
Very high stress job. Hats off to you brother.

I work at the Memphis en-route center and not the airport. Would be happy to explain that if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

Been in Memphis since spring of 2012. Thanks for the kind words, it’s a fun job most of the time.

Reactions: Obsessed
Retired A&P, 40 years. There used to be a school in Somerset, Ky.
I’m really wanting to go to school for it. However I know a lot of schools are practically scams. Are airlines hiring people with A&P degrees or engineering degrees primarily?

I work with a guy that used to. I know he went to a school in Memphis for it. Could get more info if you wanted.
That’d be great. Really just wondering how he liked it, how’s the pay, and quality of life? I’ve heard there’s a lot of contract work and traveling.

I would suggest the USAF. I earned my A&P license while I was active duty (don't use it at all now as I chose another career path) and I think it was the best route. You either have to have 30 months of civilian or military work of related experience or if you want to pursue the class route, you need to find a school that is specifically a FAA FMT certified school. The FAA website has a lot of good information of what you need.

FAA list of certified schools
Federal Aviation Administration - Maintenance Schools

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Bell Flight (formerly Bell Helicopter) has a huge facility in Piney Flats. There’s an avionics company at Tri-Cities airport. I think those guys make good money.

You could go Army or Air Guard as a repairman or avionics tech and catch on full time at a place like that and do pretty well for yourself.

Knoxville has a new Cirrus facility.

And then there’s any number of corporate outfits that would need an A&P.

Reactions: rs16
I went to Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach, that place is prohibitively expensive now.

I’m really wanting to go to school for it. However I know a lot of schools are practically scams. Are airlines hiring people with A&P degrees or engineering degrees primarily?
I got my licenses and worked my way up from single engine fixed wing at a tiny airport to the airlines in about 5 years. Several locations and companies, but always upgrading. When I finally got to a major airline with good pay and benefits they had me working with a younger guy just out of A & P school. Life isn't fair.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
@ATC_VOL

Memphis is now a passover due to backlog we’re hearing. Oof.

Doesn’t surprise me. They’re finally streamlining the stage classes some but there’s over 100 trainees in the building so definitely a bit of a wait for folks right now. Who knows what happens in a couple of months though.

Doesn’t surprise me. They’re finally streamlining the stage classes some but there’s over 100 trainees in the building so definitely a bit of a wait for folks right now. Who knows what happens in a couple of months though.

Keep me updated. Is it a mandatory three month wait?

Keep me updated. Is it a mandatory three month wait?

It’s longer than that. It takes folks a month or so to draw all their maps then they send them to the floor as A-sides. They’ve been hanging out for maybe 5 or 6 months before going back to the training department and working as remote pilots for other people’s classes for 2 or 3 months before getting into class themselves.

VN Store

Back