'20 TX QB Haynes King (TAMU Commit)

Lol, I explained why some would be confused. Lots of people don't follow recruiting week to week.

Why ask a question if someone answering bothers you so.
Lol. Im not bothered at all. Its just my personality. Im a sarcastic kind of guy. Text doesn't show tone so you wouldn't know I was joking with you

So I've done some research on this new target qb, Haynes King. Let me start by saying hes a really good looking qb. Hes definitely got wheels. He looks very accurate. He put up really good numbers and rightfully so. But....... yes theres a but. Pump the brakes (some of you that may have said "I like him over HB"). Understand that this opinion was formed based on highlight film (there's a reason highlights exist. Best plays only) and stats alone.
Yes he put up really good numbers but he also played behind a line that gave him an average of 4 seconds. That's not Tennessee.

They are 2018 state champions with a 16-0 record which tells me they are solid at every position and probably loaded with elite D1 talent. That's not what Tennessee is nor will it be for several more yrs.

He only threw the ball an average of (iirc) 18 times a game. A hs team runs an average of 55 plays a game. There's a reason, that we don't know, why they didn't throw that often because that is far from even a balanced attack and more importantly from our point of view, he's not shown he can "carry" the team if needed (not suggesting he couldn't, there's simply no evidence.. ..... sort of).

I know he's a coach's son but imo his mechanics are on point while rolling out but flawed from the pocket.

Although his numbers are clearly impressive there are 5 games that he completed under 59% and there were a few that he completed over 80%. To give him his average of 69% for the yr. That tells me you don't know what you're going to get from wk to wk.

He threw for over 4000 yrds while only throwing 4 ints and rushed for another 600. As impressive as that is, take into consideration he played 16 games and we have a "3*" qb that threw for 3500+ , and also rushed for over 600 in 10 games on a team with no running game. If you add 6 more games to his senior season at his average he paases for nearly 7000 yrds and rushes for 950. Kind of puts things into perspective.

The point is RELAX. These qbs are ranked more off of their overall teams success rather than their individual skillsets. They ARE NOT compared against one another to determine which one is better despite what some may think. They simply have to be able to take advantage of what a def is giving them and any D1 qb can do that. Give me a guy that fits this team rather than a guy that boosts the recruiting ranking because stars dont mean crap after hs. HB and King are both great qbs. They are just simply different.

You are correct in the ratings part. They're definitely VERY subjective. Here's the ironic and VERY perplexing thing if you tie this back to the current QB in Knoxville. You mention 4000 yrs for King and 3500 for Bailey last season. How many people on here realize that the current returning starter had less than 3500 yards and less than 30 TD's in his whole high school CAREER?

Now, I realize that many things play into that, but just let that sink it for a 'bit. People are sitting here debating crazy impressive arcade like high school stats that King and Bailey had last year (Honestly MOST highly recruited QB's have crazy stats.) when the current starter had in his high school career what most high school QB stud prospects have in a good season...

Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton
Chaney didn’t like Bailey while at UGA, has that changed? Idk

It is true that ideally you recruit one QB a year, him being the face of the class. Recruiting QBs has always been fickle, they are easily offended (moreso today). With that said, the days of one per class may be over due to the portal, good QBs aren’t going to wait their turn. Heck, Fla QB left before summer after arriving in January. Only one can be the QB, so I think the QB merry go round has only begun.

How do you know Chaney didn’t like Bailey?

You are correct in the ratings part. They're definitely VERY subjective. Here's the ironic and VERY perplexing thing if you tie this back to the current QB in Knoxville. You mention 4000 yrs for King and 3500 for Bailey last season. How many people on here realize that the current returning starter had less than 3500 yards and less than 30 TD's in his whole high school CAREER?

Now, I realize that many things play into that, but just let that sink it for a 'bit. People are sitting here debating crazy impressive arcade like high school stats that King and Bailey had last year (Honestly MOST highly recruited QB's have crazy stats.) when the current starter had in his high school career what most high school QB stud prospects have in a good season...

Can't make this stuff up.
Actually I've read that quite a bit about his stats coming out of hs. But the 3500 yds was referring to the current 3* qb on UTs roster. Not Bailey (I think he was right about there though). Although I'm glad you brought that up for 1 reason. It only strengthens the point I was trying to make. JG was the #1 DT qb in his class. He played for a good team so his individual ranking shot up. Point in case.... your team in hs has more to do with how recruiting "experts" view a qb individually than the qbs skillset does alone. Im not in the JG bashing game like a lot of people but long story short that's a perfect example of what I said.

An interesting nugget of info emerges.

I don’t know who is better among the 2020 guys but I think the coaches are playing with fire by going after 2 high profile guys in the same class.
Me too, we need to appreciate HB. It's a long ways until signing day

Taking the best available who are willing to come just increases the odds of finding the next great QB. Given the roll a QB plays in the success of the team, it seems kinda dumb that we would even debate the merits of granting the coaches our approval to pursue the path they have chosen.
I’m not “granting approval” to the coaches. I’m asking a simple philosophical recruiting question.

It’s been stated that we “need” 2 QBs this cycle. My question is what’s the “need”? If it’s to upgrade the talent we currently have in Shrout and Maurer, which I don’t believe it is but don’t know for sure, then okay, sign em both if you can, they’re both great prospects.

But if it’s about “numbers”, I submit it’s a point in futility. No program is gonna keep 5 scholarship QBs on its roster these days, somebody(ies) gonna transfer and you’re right back to the same numbers you already had.

I believe the coaches surely know what they’re doing, I trust em, just trying to nail down what everybody who advocates signing 2 this class what they think the “need” is.

Reactions: Sleegro and butchna
I’m not “granting approval” to the coaches. I’m asking a simple philosophical recruiting question.

It’s been stated that we “need” 2 QBs this cycle. My question is what’s the “need”? If it’s to upgrade the talent we currently have in Shrout and Maurer, which I don’t believe it is but don’t know for sure, then okay, sign em both if you can, they’re both great prospects.

But if it’s about “numbers”, I submit it’s a point in futility. No program is gonna keep 5 scholarship QBs on its roster these days, somebody(ies) gonna transfer and you’re right back to the same numbers you already had.

I believe the coaches surely know what they’re doing, I trust em, just trying to nail down what everybody who advocates signing 2 this class what they think the “need” is.

I'm not responding only to you, but more to the larger group that want to build a case why we don't need to take two. We have zero insight into what the coaches see as the real condition of the QB room. We have zero insight into how they view the guys beyond JG. We have zero insight into how they view King and Bailey. We think they might want to take 2, that's really all we know. Maybe.

If they do want to take 2, it increases the chances of getting at least one good one. Given all of the guys we have bought lottery tickets on, I personally would blow one on a QB mulligan every year I thought I could get away with it. Obviously that depends greatly on the guys I'm recruiting and how confident I am in their ability. I'm sure it would be different year to year.

The problem I have with any of these 'discussions' is that we tend to create controversies that may or may not be real. Next thing VolTwitter is blowing somebody up and fake controversies become real ones. we really don't need that.

They all look great on paper and high school promo vids. Get them on campus , see who is coachable, who's the real deal. Some will make the grade, some will not. Same as any other position, recuit the best.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Y’all mind your manners, we got some visitors in the house. Y’all take your shoes off and either stay in or out, y’all letting all the cold air out.

So I've done some research on this new target qb, Haynes King. Let me start by saying hes a really good looking qb. Hes definitely got wheels. He looks very accurate. He put up really good numbers and rightfully so. But....... yes theres a but. Pump the brakes (some of you that may have said "I like him over HB"). Understand that this opinion was formed based on highlight film (there's a reason highlights exist. Best plays only) and stats alone.
Yes he put up really good numbers but he also played behind a line that gave him an average of 4 seconds. That's not Tennessee.

They are 2018 state champions with a 16-0 record which tells me they are solid at every position and probably loaded with elite D1 talent. That's not what Tennessee is nor will it be for several more yrs.

He only threw the ball an average of (iirc) 18 times a game. A hs team runs an average of 55 plays a game. There's a reason, that we don't know, why they didn't throw that often because that is far from even a balanced attack and more importantly from our point of view, he's not shown he can "carry" the team if needed (not suggesting he couldn't, there's simply no evidence.. ..... sort of).

I know he's a coach's son but imo his mechanics are on point while rolling out but flawed from the pocket.

Although his numbers are clearly impressive there are 5 games that he completed under 59% and there were a few that he completed over 80%. To give him his average of 69% for the yr. That tells me you don't know what you're going to get from wk to wk.

He threw for over 4000 yrds while only throwing 4 ints and rushed for another 600. As impressive as that is, take into consideration he played 16 games and we have a "3*" qb that threw for 3500+ , and also rushed for over 600 in 10 games on a team with no running game. If you add 6 more games to his senior season at his average he paases for nearly 7000 yrds and rushes for 950. Kind of puts things into perspective.

The point is RELAX. These qbs are ranked more off of their overall teams success rather than their individual skillsets. They ARE NOT compared against one another to determine which one is better despite what some may think. They simply have to be able to take advantage of what a def is giving them and any D1 qb can do that. Give me a guy that fits this team rather than a guy that boosts the recruiting ranking because stars dont mean crap after hs. HB and King are both great qbs. They are just simply different.
I hope that our Oline is much better by the time King or Bailey are ready to start.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I personally feel like he's already there but being overlooked by the fan base. Although that's not what this is about. I posted this to let people draw their own conclusions.
I mean Bailey has been committed for a while. King is the new kid we’re pursuing. I really like both. Either has to understand they will face competition no matter where they go. It may be competition in their class or in a future recruiting class.

I think it’s fairly obvious if King commits that he isn’t afraid of competing versus Bailey. Honestly I don’t think Bailey is scared of competing either though.

I hope that our Oline is much better by the time King or Bailey are ready to start.
Im sure we all do. But Im kind of in the "I'm not sure how bad they are" room. I rewatched the Alabama game from last season for example and iirc it was about 40+ min into the game before I didn't get to 3 Mississippi on time provided by the o line. Im not taking a shot at JG. Im only stating a fact that I personally discovered due to people down right demoralizing the entire unit. They are not perfect but they are not bad either

I mean Bailey has been committed for a while. King is the new kid we’re pursuing. I really like both. Either has to understand they will face competition no matter where they go. It may be competition in their class or in a future recruiting class.

I think it’s fairly obvious if King commits that he isn’t afraid of competing versus Bailey. Honestly I don’t think Bailey is scared of competing either though.
I think anyone would be a fool to think that HB didn't do his homework on the teams that recruited him. If I put myself in his shoes looking at UTs qb room going in it's hard to imagine that he didn't think to himself that it'll be smooth sailing to the starting lineup with only two 3* qbs in front of him post JG. So although he SAID he's ok with them taking another qb in this class, it's entirely possible that he didn't anticipate a highly rated one and now feels like he has to prove himself. Which, if that's the case, he would've learned anyway that he underestimated the competition that's already there.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Even if they both committed I wouldn't be so sure that it'll be either of them. 247 misses on qbs A LOT more than people realize. We don't have to go far to see what I mean. Just look inside UTs qb room as we speak. Im not taking a shot but JG definitely isn't the top DT qb in his class. Some would even argue weather he should even be a 4* at all. Maybe they got it right with JT. He's a 1 yr hs starter with not very impressive stats. Hard to argue one way or another. With Maurer it's obvious to me. No true 3* qb puts up over 3500 yrds, competes 65% consistently and rushes for another 600, on top of accounting for 40 tds in only 10 games on a bad team. So just in our qb room 247 has missed on 2 of the 3 imo. Needless to say I've stopped putting stock into 247 when it comes to qbs. They are way too hard to evaluate unless you put in the time with each individual one and that's impossible.

Im sure we all do. But Im kind of in the "I'm not sure how bad they are" room. I rewatched the Alabama game from last season for example and iirc it was about 40+ min into the game before I didn't get to 3 Mississippi on time provided by the o line. Im not taking a shot at JG. Im only stating a fact that I personally discovered due to people down right demoralizing the entire unit. They are not perfect but they are not bad either
Oline was absolutely terrible by almost every statistical measure and by just the eye test. Idk how anyone can say they weren’t bad. Statistically one of the worst run blocking units in the country not just the conference. Pass protection was pretty abysmal as well

Reactions: KBVol
Oline was absolutely terrible by almost every statistical measure and by just the eye test. Idk how anyone can say they weren’t bad. Statistically one of the worst run blocking units in the country not just the conference. Pass protection was pretty abysmal as well
I should've worded it differently. They were terrible at run blocking. No doubt. I was talking in terms of pass protection. They were not as bad as they are made out to be. If they provided 3 seconds against Alabama then it's only logical to assume they did in most cases all season. Although even in run blocking I have to somewhat come to their defense. When teams are stacking the box due to your heavy run, short pass approach its hard to blame 5 guys for not blocking 8. And that wont change until we start attacking all 3 levels of the field with success. Once a team shows they can effectively attack the 2nd and 3rd levels you wouldn't believe the difference it makes in an o line.

If him and Bailey both commit which ever one is the back up will automatically be the better qb per most people on VN

Going 5-7 kinda gets that response.
When you can’t even beat Vandy it’s kinda hard to say the QB is a proven winner.

Reactions: Jack Burton
You should really get out of that room. They were historically rotten. Go watch the Charlotte game if you need your memory jogged.

VN Store

Back