Smaller Games

LouderVol

Extra and Terrestrial
Figured we could use a general thread to talk about smaller games that a lot of people probably don't play. Feel free to talk about whatever.

One I am excited about is Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, comes out this Thursday, for the PC only I believe. Space battle strategy game set in the Warhammer 40k universe. The first one was very good and it seems like they are building upon it. Just played the demo so far, they have expanded the scope of battles which is nice. Three campaigns this time should help as well. twelve different factions, instead of the 6 in the first one. One of the best things is its only 40 bucks on steam, 35 if you preorder, and 30 if you preorder and own the first one. in this day of 60 dollar games, 30 dollars is hard to pass up. I would highly suggest it if its your type of thing.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Bought a new PC strategy game I am enjoying. Ultimate General Civil War. It scratches a big time itch I have had. You are the general commanding whichever ever side you choose. One battle impacts the next. Real simple to pick up and learn. Battles are actually challenging, rewarding, and addictive.

It's not just the big battles either.

Was feeling a bit burnt out on console gaming close to a year ago. Built my own PC and have been blown away by the amount of content and cheap prices. Some are cross platform but games I couldn’t recommend more:

Darkest Dungeon- Turn based, 2-D dungeon crawler. Tons of customizable parts and strategy. Eerie gothic theme/music. Permadeath characters. Incredible.

Talos Principle- Think Portal with some philosophy thrown in.

Subnautica- Sci-Fi survival game based in an ocean on another world. Absolutely beautiful with a surprisingly deep story. Great customization. Peaceful and at the same time terrifying.

Age of Wonders 3- Think Civ 5 with a high fantasy setting. Also turn based strategy combat and RPG elements for your “leader” and heroes.

Was feeling a bit burnt out on console gaming close to a year ago. Built my own PC and have been blown away by the amount of content and cheap prices. Some are cross platform but games I couldn’t recommend more:

Darkest Dungeon- Turn based, 2-D dungeon crawler. Tons of customizable parts and strategy. Eerie gothic theme/music. Permadeath characters. Incredible.

Talos Principle- Think Portal with some philosophy thrown in.

Subnautica- Sci-Fi survival game based in an ocean on another world. Absolutely beautiful with a surprisingly deep story. Great customization. Peaceful and at the same time terrifying.

Age of Wonders 3- Think Civ 5 with a high fantasy setting. Also turn based strategy combat and RPG elements for your “leader” and heroes.
Will have to look at the Talos Principle. Loved portal.

I have been playing one called Medieval Kingdoms War, or something like that. Made by three guys. It's a mix between Age of Empires and Total War. You have the base building aspect during battles of AoE but have control of armies and towns and diplomacy on a world map.

Graphics are 90s quality, some bugs, but it's difficult and requires more resource management than TW gets into.

Developers are still supporting it and they are working towards a coop campaign which should be good. If you got 20 bucks to spend on a PC game this might be worth looking into.

Hey Louder, dont know if you're into Final Fantasy games...seems like you would be...but I have been playing Mobius final Fantasy for 3 years and it is still awesome because they drop new content every week. It has SP, as well as MP...it is turn based with the "jobs" character dynamic if you know about that. It is free...and you can farm the in game currency as to make it F2P. I have spent quite a bit on the game, but nearly nothing since currency farming became available about a year ago.

I play only on mobile...but you can play on PC also and graphics are PS3 quality I would say. Best game I have ever played on mobile by far. Love it. We also have a forum on reddit where we ask other players questions about builds , gameplay, etc.. good community. Check it out bro

Hey Louder, dont know if you're into Final Fantasy games...seems like you would be...but I have been playing Mobius final Fantasy for 3 years and it is still awesome because they drop new content every week. It has SP, as well as MP...it is turn based with the "jobs" character dynamic if you know about that. It is free...and you can farm the in game currency as to make it F2P. I have spent quite a bit on the game, but nearly nothing since currency farming became available about a year ago.

I play only on mobile...but you can play on PC also and graphics are PS3 quality I would say. Best game I have ever played on mobile by far. Love it. We also have a forum on reddit where we ask other players questions about builds , gameplay, etc.. good community. Check it out bro
Actually never played any of the FF games. Just never understood what was going on

Bought a new PC strategy game I am enjoying. Ultimate General Civil War. It scratches a big time itch I have had. You are the general commanding whichever ever side you choose. One battle impacts the next. Real simple to pick up and learn. Battles are actually challenging, rewarding, and addictive.

It's not just the big battles either.
Have you played the Take Command/Scourge of War games?

I've kicked around getting another computer just to play them again.

Have you played the Take Command/Scourge of War games?

I've kicked around getting another computer just to play them again.
No. Haven't heard of them. Will give them a look. If I can get it on steam for cheap I will be more inclined to give it a try.

If none of you have played Hollow Knight that is a game that was made by indie company Team Cherry and is absolutely fantastic. It’s a hard but very good game.

There are some others like Monster Boy and Ori and the Blind Forest that are pretty good but nothing like Hollow Knight. Monster Boy was pretty good though.

Bump for, Age of Empires 2, they are releasing a DLC today. Introduces two new factions, with 3 new campaigns. Pretty stoked to try it out.

Also been playing a good bit of Hearts of Iron 4 by Paradox. WWII simulation game.

HoI is a little bit deeper than I care to get buried in. Interested in the new Crusader Kings but I've not got the time to put into it.

HoI is a little bit deeper than I care to get buried in. Interested in the new Crusader Kings but I've not got the time to put into it.
Crusader kings looks even more crazy than hoi imo.

I dont think I would enjoy playing any of the single player for long. Which is usually what gets me into a game.

Crusader kings looks even more crazy than hoi imo.

I dont think I would enjoy playing any of the single player for long. Which is usually what gets me into a game.

I downloaded CK3 when it came out on Gamepass Ultimate. Played it for a couple hours and haven't played it since. It's really good, but also really really in depth. A lot to remember.

I downloaded CK3 when it came out on Gamepass Ultimate. Played it for a couple hours and haven't played it since. It's really good, but also really really in depth. A lot to remember.

If anyone tries CK3 I highly suggest playing the "tutorial". I was still confused on some parts after completing that, but wow that game is as deep as you want it to be. Makes Civ look like a Kindergarten game.

If anyone tries CK3 I highly suggest playing the "tutorial". I was still confused on some parts after completing that, but wow that game is as deep as you want it to be. Makes Civ look like a Kindergarten game.
All Paradox games are like that. Worst part is when they do major updates they drastically change game mechanics. Like the economy will drastically change.

My friend and I had to abandon Stellaris because of it.

All Paradox games are like that. Worst part is when they do major updates they drastically change game mechanics. Like the economy will drastically change.

My friend and I had to abandon Stellaris because of it.

I was deep in Stellaris for a minute. I'm not sure I ever actually completed a run through though. Always wanted to start over to perfect a run. Those games are addicting, but I always feel a big drop after grinding for a while. Don't touch them for a few months then dive back in and kiss hours good bye.

I was deep in Stellaris for a minute. I'm not sure I ever actually completed a run through though. Always wanted to start over to perfect a run. Those games are addicting, but I always feel a big drop after grinding for a while. Don't touch them for a few months then dive back in and kiss hours good bye.
They always find new ways to induce a grind.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Cyber-shadow is a game that came out the other day and its got me hooked with its nes graphics, music, controls, etc. Its not the modern pixel like retro look either, looks like a real game from that time which hit me right in the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Bump for, Age of Empires 2, they are releasing a DLC today. Introduces two new factions, with 3 new campaigns. Pretty stoked to try it out.

Also been playing a good bit of Hearts of Iron 4 by Paradox. WWII simulation game.

I used to play “AoE2: Age of Kings” all of the time when I was younger. I don’t have the disc anymore and haven’t played in years. Do you know if there is a way to still find and play this game? Especially on modern PC’s?

I used to play “AoE2: Age of Kings” all of the time when I was younger. I don’t have the disc anymore and haven’t played in years. Do you know if there is a way to still find and play this game? Especially on modern PC’s?
As tuck said Steam is a good option. Probably some other platforms out there that have it too. I think there is a mobile version too, slightly different name. Havent played so I dont know how it is.

If 20 bucks sounds too much you can try waiting for one of their sales on steam.

VN Store

Back