Smaller Games

I used to play “AoE2: Age of Kings” all of the time when I was younger. I don’t have the disc anymore and haven’t played in years. Do you know if there is a way to still find and play this game? Especially on modern PC’s?

you can play 1, 2, and 3 on xbox game pass for PC.

Reactions: BleedOrange16
@Ttucke11 & @LouderVol & @alwaysvol
Good stuff - thanks guys! I had just found some stuff about steam and wasn't sure if that was a viable outlet to pursue. I'm an early 30's new dad and haven't played many video games in the last few years but AoE came to mind for me recently as one I'd like to be able to play again from time to time. I'll pursue Steam. Thanks!

Reactions: Ttucke11
@Ttucke11 & @LouderVol & @alwaysvol
Good stuff - thanks guys! I had just found some stuff about steam and wasn't sure if that was a viable outlet to pursue. I'm an early 30's new dad and haven't played many video games in the last few years but AoE came to mind for me recently as one I'd like to be able to play again from time to time. I'll pursue Steam. Thanks!
Steam itself is free. You just make an account and download it.

Then you can shop around for games, they have a ton of PC games.

And as I mentioned steam will have some crazy sales on stuff at least twice a year (50% off) with other sales thrown in.

Steam itself is free. You just make an account and download it.

Then you can shop around for games, they have a ton of PC games.

And as I mentioned steam will have some crazy sales on stuff at least twice a year (50% off) with other sales thrown in.

Awesome. Yea I downloaded steam last night and then downloaded the game. It worked great! Thanks again!!

Reactions: LouderVol
Anybody have anything new for me? Been playing a lot of Monster Train. Deckbuilder+tower defense. If you liked Slay the Spire, I would definitely recommend. I think Monster Train is actually more fun and less stressful.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Anybody have anything new for me? Been playing a lot of Monster Train. Deckbuilder+tower defense. If you liked Slay the Spire, I would definitely recommend. I think Monster Train is actually more fun and less stressful.
I can give you a change of pace. I'm playing Rebel Galaxy:Outlaw. It's a "Space Flight Sim". Visually it looks like an updated Elite Dangerous. Flight plays like that too. But it's single player and doesn't have the long wait time between systems. Think old school Wing Commander, in a open world. It's worth a look if you like the genre.

Last edited:
Bought a new PC strategy game I am enjoying. Ultimate General Civil War. It scratches a big time itch I have had. You are the general commanding whichever ever side you choose. One battle impacts the next. Real simple to pick up and learn. Battles are actually challenging, rewarding, and addictive.

It's not just the big battles either.
Go South

Trying out Necromunda Gun for Hire.

Seems like Doom meets the Grim Dark Future. Decent so far but only 30 minutes or so in.

been playing this recently. The Great War: Western Front. its a mix of a strategy game and RTS. pretty fun, was only $40, but I am seeing some sales that get it down below $30, unfortunately those sales aren't on Steam.

Game is pretty fun, challenging. I have been playing purely defensively. I started as the allies, couldn't figure out how to effectively go on the offensive, so I switched to the Germans and had the same issue.

The combat seems pretty realistic, you will lose tons of infantry. battles don't scale properly in my opinion.

only other complaint i have is there "permanent" battlefield aspect its very picky and choosey. The premise is that any defense you place in one battle should show up in the next, and that any battle damage is supposed to linger. the trenches, and barbed wire do stick around which makes defense easier as the war progresses as you will fight over the same territory. However any weapon emplacement goes away and you have to re-buy every time. I wouldn't mind a higher upfront cost to place it, but then "manning" that weapon emplacement shouldn't be expensive the next time. You can blow up any existing buildings on the battlefield, or any fences or other man made things which is a nice feature. and the ground in some areas will gradually get shelled out in places. But the little forest that I have shelled literally hundreds of times remain untouched in the battle, offering continued cover battle after battle, leaving a relative week point in my defense.

I also have some gripes with some things not being balanced very well. Aerial bombers are way OP dropping guided munitions that never miss, while tanks are way too fast, and rifles do more damage than artillery to tanks. but its the same for everyone.

if you ever wanted to be a general of a slug fest, this is a good game for it.

Reactions: NEO and Ttucke11
Age Of Wonders 4 review - fantasy strategy x4

Have to give a shout out to Age of Wonders 4. Played way too much of 3 and my first few hours have been great. If you enjoyed Civ, Humankind, or any Paradox game this is a hidden gem.

Always enjoyed Civ but I like high fantasy more than historical. It's 4x strategy mixed with some RTS and light RPG management. Could not recommend more.

Age Of Wonders 4 review - fantasy strategy x4

Have to give a shout out to Age of Wonders 4. Played way too much of 3 and my first few hours have been great. If you enjoyed Civ, Humankind, or any Paradox game this is a hidden gem.

Always enjoyed Civ but I like high fantasy more than historical. It's 4x strategy mixed with some RTS and light RPG management. Could not recommend more.
heard of it, but I have never played any of them.

EA and steam have buried the hatchet. you can get the entire C&C catalog on Steam. I think its a flat 10 for the Bundle of all of it, or a monthly 5 dollar subscription. There was a sale and I got it at 6$.19! I didn't see the option to only buy individual games, but at that cheap I just got the whole bundle.

I jumped on it ASAP, EA and steam have had beefs and pulled many of their games, including several titles they bought. but they honor any games you actually bought, but the window to get them may be small.

super excited to finally get C&C Generals back, also C&C Tiberian Sun & Firestorm.

Didn't see a thread for this, and a little surprised. This is currently steam's most wishlisted game. Manor Lords.

Survival/Town Builder/Total War battles.

game looks crazy beautiful. looks like it has a good bit of layers, but everything seems intuitive and not overly complicated.

Early Access starts 4/24.

supposedly up to 2.5 million wishlists, not bad for a solo developer.

Reactions: Creeker

VN Store

Back