The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Ha! * breathes through mouth*
mouth-breather-gif-2.gif

From the 24/7 Article

Racioppi said he’s worked with Guarantano some this summer, too, and that he’s seen a different player from the one he worked with five months ago.

“I think, No. 1, his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping — which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly, and I see this all the time with scholarship kids, they all have strong arms. That’s why they're scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard. But as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer.

“A lot of times they go to college as throwers, and the ones that play and play well are the ones that develop into being passers, so they’re able to not just throw the ball hard and through windows, but they can get the ball over the top of people and throw the ball with touch and throw the ball to some spots and make the second- and third-level throws as accurate as those first-level throws and the ability to change the tempo of the footballs. I’ve seen that a ton.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

This is great and I really REALLY hope JG takes that next step this year but candidly, my concern is if our line can keep JG from playing off his back. Even so, the more Chaney can get JG connecting to spread the field, that should help take some pressure off the box. I think JG wasnt rated #1 in the country for no reason and hopefully now that he has been under some good coaching, it is going to show out. We arent exactly WRU anymore but we will have some good targets for him this year. I have confidence that Chaney's play design and deep knowledge of SEC play, will pay benefits this year.
Great article discussing JG improving a weakness... right up to the point where you threw the OL under the bus completely unnecessarily.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

According to some on here, he meant to throw behind his receivers, coach.. C'mon man havent you heard of the back shoulder pass? :)

Just playin errbody, its Friday
I think a lot of those were intentional and something that JG has proven he can do. The article has a different perspective on his issues. He has the arm and accuracy to hit stationary targets or in the case you mention where he doesn't have to lead the receiver but instead allow them to adjust.

He does some things well. Some very well. There are just aren't enough tools in his tool box. What he proved he was able to do... was defended/contained well by most teams last year.

@sjt18 lying about what coaches said for the millionth time. Lmao
Nope. Your total inability to "hear" anything that might indicate a flaw in JG's game.... doesn't make me or anyone else a liar.

You however... do lie. Probably to yourself first. But you say things and argue against things that you have every reason to know you are wrong about... but admitting your error is just too much for you.

My fanboy/hater prediction:
JG improves slightly in several areas and that cumulatively makes for very solid overall improvement.

Chaney does a solid job scheming to exploit Jarrett's strengths and and avoid his weaknesses. That combined with improved strength and technique from the OL, produce solid, tangible results .

Weinke focuses on defense recognition and consistency of hitting the runner in stride. Mix that with JG's undeniable arm and ball protection, we have very positive results. Even TDs and wins 👀
Very, very good post. The guy definitely deserves it. He's taken the licks and keeps getting up.

With props to a retired band produced by our northern neighbor:

How many times do you hear it?
It goes on all day long
Everyone knows everything
And no one's ever wrong
Until later

… Who can you believe?
It's hard to play it safe
But apart from a few good friends
We don't take anything on faith
Until later

… Show (show) don't tell (don't tell)
Show me don't tell me
You've figured out the score
Show me don't tell me
I've heard it all before
Show me don't tell me
I don't care what you say
Show me don't tell me

More than appropriate for the UT football program.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Yet, you still have not provided a quote where I said I want JG, or any other Vol, to fail. I guess when you are called out, resort to "what are you 3?". Your Huck is waiting.
Asked and answered, can't help if you can't comprehend. I'm not even sure if you understand what "I'm your huckleberry" means. Cause you are WAY off base if you do. I am extremely bored with stick poking at the moment. Much too easy.

Nope. Your total inability to "hear" anything that might indicate a flaw in JG's game.... doesn't make me or anyone else a liar.

You however... do lie. Probably to yourself first. But you say things and argue against things that you have every reason to know you are wrong about... but admitting your error is just too much for you.
I would love to see a single quote from a member of either staff saying they limited the pass game due to JG, his weaknesses, or what he could handle.

I'll be waiting on that link.

Reactions: Devo182
Coach basically said JG has improved some since 5 moths ago, and people have lost they mines.

Shut'er down Freak, it's time to put up or shut up, whatever that means, we ain't got nothing else to say.

Asked and answered, can't help if you can't comprehend. I'm not even sure if you understand what "I'm your huckleberry" means. Cause you are WAY off base if you do. I am extremely bored with stick poking at the moment. Much too easy.

Still dodging your BS statement I see. I asked for a quote of where I said ANYTHING bad about JG or any other Vol. Comprehension is you problem, not mine. (Giving your opinion on my posts is not "answered". The comprehension, that the ONLY one I am ragging on is the paid coach that is self promoting his student, is on you big guy.

Great article discussing JG improving a weakness... right up to the point where you threw the OL under the bus completely unnecessarily.

I think it is pretty necessary actually, considering last year's OL play. I think JG could improve by a lot with some good coaching BUT I dont know for sure if he can put it all together on game day. But I do know for a fact that it is hard for him to develop and show the potential he was rated at when he has 1.5 secs before getting clocked. Now, good coaching is also likely to help the OLine and I have hope for them too but I think they have the greater burden to show improvement IMO. Chaney is also likely to have plays that take all this into consideration too so that may help. Lets face it, the Oline has to improve a lot.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Coach basically said JG has improved some since 5 moths ago, and people have lost they mines.

Shut'er down Freak, it's time to put up or shut up, whatever that means, we ain't got nothing else to say.

The "freak" is to the reality of the statement, "what else is he going to say".

He has shown improvement every season, no reason to think he won't show improvement again this year, especially with a proven quarterback coach and offensive coordinator in coach Chaney. The offensive line will be improved as well, no way they could be any worse. I'm expecting a big improvement all around this season with the defensive line being our biggest concern.

VN Store

Back