For all you think we may get 6 wins or less....

I've heard that said numerous times. There's a chance you haven't heard it. There's a better chance you didn't want to hear it.
I actively searched for it, actually. I'd be happy to see him seen in such a light (why wouldn't I?) but I could only find him listed once, on a top 25 list, out of 6 or 7 different rankings I read.

We're going off what Fulmer and Pruitt think. They could be wrong... but they're closer to be experts on the matter than you.

That is too strong a correlation between what we are willing to pay people and how they rank. Again, they just paid 1.2m to Helton. Does that make him a top 10 OC just because he got paid that much?? OF COURSE NOT. And Chaney was just paid 950k last year...does that mean Helton was 25% better than Chaney? Heck no. Chaney literally should be just the same as he was last year...yet he got a whopping 50% increase. In no way does that make him 50% better.

That is just the kind of premium we are willing to shell out right now. I, for one, am glad we are. But I don't falsely equate our premium expensing for elite quality. And by reports, we tried to get Yurcich first.

I think Chaney is a great fit for us and will do really well with JG. I just don't think he brings the added-value necessary to get us over the top. He has proven he's good at getting the expected amount out of players, but not much more. It's unlikely we recruit like UGA anytime soon, so we will need staff that rank highly on "coaching effect" to get over the hump. Chaney could get us to the turning point, backed with Pruitt's defense. I just think we'll need someone else to take us the rest of the way. We're not going to out-Bama Bama or UGA. We need a competitive/schematic advantage.

It's at least better than "the best staff in country"

That's for sure. I think it is excellent. Surely the best since Kiffin's staff, which obviously just didn't have enough time. I think we should be very proud and happy with it. Outside of Pittman or Graham, it really couldn't have improved any more.

Some. Not enough. Not close to enough.

I have no animus toward him. Remember Peterman? You didn't have any animus toward him that I could tell. You were just critical of his play and his fit compared to Dobbs.

I have it bad? There's a good chance I'm right about Devo's motive. If not right... it is a plus for him.

Trust me, my views on Chaney far predate JG. I want both to succeed, that is plain and simple. I could care less if JG is our man or someone else. Whoever can help us win games.

If I had been on here this time last year you would have seen a lot of criticism and questioning. I HATED how many sacks he took, though Mcbride sure wasn't any better either. I just think, like pff and others, he made great progress last year and we should support our man until he is no longer. But my support is far ftom dogmatic. I just feel dislike for him, from some, is very dogmatic because they shut their eyes to stats and expert opinions.

Reactions: KBVol
How many weeks in before we see a fire Chaney thread?

O/U 1

Standard UT fan procedure. Blame too much the OC, not enough the DC, too much QB, not enough supporting players.

My view is always give every coach until the season's end at a minimum. Nothing worse than the pitchforks coming out midseason and calling for no-shows. Does no one any good, hurts morale, and is a turn-off to recruits (See: Mays, Cade).

Chaney's M.O. is typically holding steady or regressing in Y1, then progressing nicely from there. He should certainly be given 3 years without screaming and shouting, especially given his long track record. It's nothing special, but he should at least ensure reasonable success by year 3, 4.

When you combine this with our blue chip ratio not likely to exceed 50% until 2021 at the earliest, I think Y4 for Pruitt is the real year to expect big things.

Reactions: tbh
Haven’t we had “the BEST coaching staff in America” for like the past 15 years?!??

I’ll believe in Pruitt when he proves it. Until then I’ll cheer for his success but I’m still picking him to finish below 6 wins.

We're going off what Fulmer and Pruitt think.
I feel like he showed everyone the abilty hes credited for in the O&W game. I was impressed with the way he switched the style of playcalling to the qbs strengths. It looked like he was running 3 different game plans.

Hope you're right. The whole Chaney thing is still a mystery to me. I'm glad to have him. But I can't get past the fact that the QB left complaining about mistreatment just before he left. Just seems like an odd coincidence.
I don't think Fromm is very talented. But they succeeded. Idk which qb you are talking about but all qb's want to play.

I don't think Fromm is very talented. But they succeeded. Idk which qb you are talking about but all qb's want to play.
Justin Fields who left accusing the staff of letting race factor into their decisions.

Fromm is very talented. I know he's had talent around him but they also played with a patchwork OL at times last year due to injuries. He's very smart and has plenty of physical talent.

Justin Fields who left accusing the staff of letting race factor into their decisions.

Fromm is very talented. I know he's had talent around him but they also played with a patchwork OL at times last year due to injuries. He's very smart and has plenty of physical talent.
Meh, who cares. This is BIG ORANGE COUNTRY!

I never heard him hint of that. Do you have any links?

Reactions: KBVol
Six wins gets UT a bowl game, will the Vols finally go bowling?
Vanderbilt says not if they have anything to do with it?

In the end, it was apparently tolerance of a racist comment within the AD.

Ex-UGA QB Justin Fields transfers to Ohio State

The university kicked the guy that made the remarks off the baseball team for his stupidity. There was no tolerance. Fields sister is going to UGA, I doubt that would happen had there been any concern about the manner in which the University handled the situation. Fields was looking for immediate eligibility and if that was in his petition, his lawyer made the claim to improve his chances. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: tbh and KBVol
The university kicked the guy that made the remarks off the baseball team for his stupidity. There was no tolerance. Fields sister is going to UGA, I doubt that would happen had there been any concern about the manner in which the University handled the situation. Fields was looking for immediate eligibility and if that was in his petition, his lawyer made the claim to improve his chances. Nothing to see here.
Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Mike Moffett
Hold up! This is less about what CJP has done in recruiting, than it is about the current progress of the other 13 teams, in the best f'ing conference, in the NCAA. We are not in the WAC or the OVC, or The Big 10. We are competing with the best coaches and players, in the NCAA, every week. 6 wins is a fair accomplishment, at this point. If we were in the Big 12, I'd go 8-9 wins, no worries. But, it is what it is. We have to WIN IN THE SEC! This means the big uglies are gonna have to step it up, big time. 8 or 9 wins a possibility? Of course. Is it likely, realistically, barring many bounces of the ball going our way?? No.

Well I don't think you've been paying attention to Tennessee Football at all if you think 6 wins isn't an extremely likely scenario. We are on a three year losing streak to Vandy. Everyone can shove their optimism right back up there until we beat Vandy again.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back