“Locked up” roster as of now?

The problem is you’ve lost two starting guards and have signed one, and definitely lose two more next year. I don’t like the idea of having to rely on Freshman guards. Is Barnes on any top 75 PGs for 2019 or 2020?

Well most of the blue bloods do it, so?

Josiah James is a Top 25 PG currently on the roster, as for future PG’s prospects the staff is in on Top 40 PG’s Caleb Love and Cam Hayes.

If bone is drafted he will be near the bottom of the 2nd round. If he believes he’s the best PG than come back another year and prove it. Get a free degree and make millions more in the nba. I don’t understand these kids rush. We’re talking 13 months away to change ur life by having a degree and a guaranteed nba roster spot. They spend their entire getting here then blow it in the final year by rushing. Nba d league or first round. Those are his choices. If he is a second round all star they will milk you for peanuts several years before getting paid.

If he gets a contract in the second round, he will be fine. If he has to play overseas, he will still probably make more than most of the people on this board.

Reactions: k-town_king
The problem is you’ve lost two starting guards and have signed one, and definitely lose two more next year. I don’t like the idea of having to rely on Freshman guards. Is Barnes on any top 75 PGs for 2019 or 2020?
Sure is. I named a couple of them, but you have me on ignore. Caleb Love and Cam Hayes. And Jaden Springer could play PG, if necessary.

Sure is. I named a couple of them, but you have me on ignore. Caleb Love and Cam Hayes. And Jaden Springer could play PG, if necessary.
Out of the ones we are looking at for PG, which one fits more with our style of play? With different guys, our strategies will be the same or will we drastically be chucking more 3s or going low all day?

Out of the ones we are looking at for PG, which one fits more with our style of play? With different guys, our strategies will be the same or will we drastically be chucking more 3s or going low all day?
I think Caleb Love looks like a better defensive version of Jordan Bone, so it would be hard to argue against him.

What? This is basketball, not football. Relying on freshman is a huge part of what the best teams do every season.

What? This is basketball, not football. Relying on freshman is a huge part of what the best teams do every season.
Other than James, what pure 1 or 2 guards, that are still on the roster, has Barnes signed in the last three years?
What Freshman contributed last year?

Other than James, what pure 1 or 2 guards, that are still on the roster, has Barnes signed in the last three years?

I'm not too concerned about the lack of freshmen last year. The roster has been terribly out of balance for CRB from Day 1. There were 9 or 10 sophomores and juniors on the 2018-19 roster. A thin freshman class won't be a problem for the staff to manage and is actually a strong selling point for playing time opportunities for future signing classes.

I'm pleased that the major contributors are the upperclassmen. That's a solid strategy IMO. And when that's not the makeup of the roster it's an enticement to lure 5-stars that want to play immediately. What's important is that Barnes isn't so stubborn that he won't adapt to what pieces he has to play. Devoe, Majors, and Fulmer were too fixed in their ways. Mears and Pearl adjusted.

We have two senior guards, and it looks like we will sign a 5 star guard next year. That will be two 5 stars in the backcourt.

We have two senior guards, and it looks like we will sign a 5 star guard next year. That will be two 5 stars in the backcourt.
So, after this coming year that leaves you with exactly two guards that are pure 1s or 2s.

Assuming they sign the one you are referencing

So, after this coming year that leaves you with exactly two guards that are pure 1s or 2s.

Assuming they sign the one you are referencing

They are also recruiting other guards, including Jaden Springer, who is top 15. Caleb Love is top 40, and Matthew Murell is top 100 but moving up.

They are also recruiting other guards, including Jaden Springer, who is top 15. Caleb Love is top 40, and Matthew Murell is top 100 but moving up.
Yep, I’m aware. I’m taking about the current roster. Barnes has signed a post that may or may not have to sit a year. Two bigs who aren’t really bigs in ORN and Pember and a super skinny wing who is also likely a redshirt. The ONLY player who is a for sure minutes guy next year is James.
We were already a guard short last year after missing out on Fore. Now you have to replace two guards in Admiral and Bone as well as knowing you will definitely lose two more after this year.
I’m trying to understand that recruiting strategy and no one has been able to explain it to me.

We are to believe that building a roster over 2-3 years is better (and I agree) yet the same people telling me that can’t explain Barnes confusing lack of signing guards over the past couple of years. Now those same people are telling me it’s ok to recruit and rely on freshmen.
Personal attack in 3,2.......

Yep, I’m aware. I’m taking about the current roster. Barnes has signed a post that may or may not have to sit a year. Two bigs who aren’t really bigs in ORN and Pember and a super skinny wing who is also likely a redshirt. The ONLY player who is a for sure minutes guy next year is James.
We were already a guard short last year after missing out on Fore. Now you have to replace two guards in Admiral and Bone as well as knowing you will definitely lose two more after this year.
I’m trying to understand that recruiting strategy and no one has been able to explain it to me.

We are to believe that building a roster over 2-3 years is better (and I agree) yet the same people telling me that can’t explain Barnes confusing lack of signing guards over the past couple of years. Now those same people are telling me it’s ok to recruit and rely on freshmen.
Personal attack in 3,2.......
Why is ORN not really a big? He's 6-8, 210-220 lbs.

Darrington and Daniel were added 2 seasons ago. Donnie added Punter. Bone wasn't expected to leave early. The staff will make adjustments.

If Admiral is a guard, then so are Jalen Johnson and Gaines. Even Pember might be considered a guard.

Darrington and Daniel were added 2 seasons ago. Donnie added Punter. Bone wasn't expected to leave early. The staff will make adjustments.

If Admiral is a guard, then so are Jalen Johnson and Gaines. Even Pember might be considered a guard.
Not to mention, we seem to be recruiting the kinds of guards that don't necessarily require a year or two of seasoning to play at a high level. The agenda Roust is pushing, that people are saying building up a team over time is working but now believe we can rely on freshmen, is a flawed narrative. The level of talent we were recruiting 4 years ago required that level of patience and development. James, Johnson, Springer, Love, and Hayes won't, so it is reasonable to expect them to be ready to contribute because their talent will allow them develop at an accelerated pace.

James and Turner will stagger minutes like they did this year with Bone and Turner.

I would guess

Turner- 33
Bowden- 32
James- 30
Fulkerson- 30
Pons- 25
Burns- 20
Johnson- 15
Kent- 10
One of Gaines/ORN/Pember- 5

Can't see fulky playing 30 minutes. That would be a huge jump, and he fouls way to much. He was good in the 12 mpg last year.

VN Store

Back