“Locked up” roster as of now?

Yep, I’m aware. I’m taking about the current roster. Barnes has signed a post that may or may not have to sit a year. Two bigs who aren’t really bigs in ORN and Pember and a super skinny wing who is also likely a redshirt. The ONLY player who is a for sure minutes guy next year is James.
We were already a guard short last year after missing out on Fore. Now you have to replace two guards in Admiral and Bone as well as knowing you will definitely lose two more after this year.
I’m trying to understand that recruiting strategy and no one has been able to explain it to me.

We are to believe that building a roster over 2-3 years is better (and I agree) yet the same people telling me that can’t explain Barnes confusing lack of signing guards over the past couple of years. Now those same people are telling me it’s ok to recruit and rely on freshmen.
Personal attack in 3,2.......

You lost me at Admiral being a guard. He’s a 3.

I’m not sure what you are trying to discuss. First, it was the 2020-2021 season and now it’s next season. Bowden, Turner, and James will play major minutes next year. We are recruiting mostly guards for 2021. My guess is they are waiting on Bone and will have another spot for a guard.

Mark my words.
Jalen Johnson is a Star, an Explosion waiting to happen. sidelined by injury and the reality of playing behind Mr Schofield, he's bided his time quietly and waited his turn. He'll get into a groove early and won't look back. Too much talent not to be a factor in 19-20.

Mark my words.
Jalen Johnson is a Star, an Explosion waiting to happen. sidelined by injury and the reality of playing behind Mr Schofield, he's bided his time quietly and waited his turn. He'll get into a groove early and won't look back. Too much talent not to be a factor in 19-20.
It would be awesome for this to be correct. I think possibly the only thing holding it back might be a lack of aggression. If he can find that killer mentality somewhere, you may end up being quite prophetic.

Reactions: Lurker
It would be awesome for this to be correct. I think possibly the only thing holding it back might be a lack of aggression. If he can find that killer mentality somewhere, you may end up being quite prophetic.
He had it HS when playing with Parker. Watch that confidence return when he gets his shot. Even Grant said it's his time.

Mark my words.
I truly believe it too! He'll be our biggest surprise next year. I look for him to make a jump similar to JMac. I know he only shot 20 3's last year but he can really shoot the ball. He shot 45% and he has the athleticism/length to be a slasher. I think he can be a mix between JP Prince and JMac.

I think we are going to see an extra level of aggression from all our guards this year. No more grant to work the offesne thru and they all are going to have to be more forceful

I think we are going to see an extra level of aggression from all our guards this year. No more grant to work the offesne thru and they all are going to have to be more forceful
Agree, it will come out of necessity.

I truly believe it too! He'll be our biggest surprise next year. I look for him to make a jump similar to JMac. I know he only shot 20 3's last year but he can really shoot the ball. He shot 45% and he has the athleticism/length to be a slasher. I think he can be a mix between JP Prince and JMac.

Let’s just hope that out of that combo, he ends up with McRae’s shot and not JP’s. 😆

Mark my words.

I'm old enough to remember that Rick Barnes said Jalen Johnson was the best NBA prospect on their roster a few years back. (If I recall correctly).

Next week when summer school begins the Vols will have all the pieces of their completely new look roster on campus with Plavsic and Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua arriving to join the trio of freshman who were already here for the May mini-term. It will be a big summer for a team that lost four starters from a squad that won 31 games and it will be imperative for the staff to figure out some way to get something out of some combination of the five newcomers.
-VQ

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

So 2 consecutive years of using 12 of 13 available scholarships. I guess the upside is having one available in case somebody appears out of thin air (Jarnell Stokes) and avoiding adding a bad personality to a team with good chemistry. It also says that TN scholarships have value and won't be handed out to undeserving signees. Or VQ is just speculating and a grad transfer will be added as soon as Bones' departure is official.

TN had 2 of the 4 walk-ons graduate. Are they only having 2 in 2019-20?

His passivity drives me crazy. But, he's going to need a major bump in the aggression department or he likely never shines. The talent is there, but his motor is idling.

So 2 consecutive years of using 12 of 13 available scholarships. I guess the upside is having one available in case somebody appears out of thin air (Jarnell Stokes) and avoiding adding a bad personality to a team with good chemistry. It also says that TN scholarships have value and won't be handed out to undeserving signees. Or VQ is just speculating and a grad transfer will be added as soon as Bones' departure is official.

TN had 2 of the 4 walk-ons graduate. Are they only having 2 in 2019-20?
That will be interesting but we could add two more over the course of the summer

VN Store

Back