Give me your hottest takes in life

But isn't that really just a list of popular music performers you don't like? I guess just about any list of overrated artists would be just that though. It would be hard to make that objective.

Like for instance, U2. I like them just fine, was never a super huge fan by any means, but I don't know how anyone could call them overrated in an objective sense. Sold a gajillion records, sold out countless stadiums, won more Grammys than probably anyone (for whatever that's worth), had a massive following for a long time who clearly really connected with their music. In terms of being overrated, I don't know by what objective measure they can be rated that they haven't matched up to. You could say Bono can't sing or the Edge can't play a lick but those would be just personal judgments that run counter to popular opinion.

All that being said though, Justin Bieber objectively sucks.
Not exactly, no. Much of the people in that list, IMO I think more or less objectively, just aren't uniquely talented. Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Bieber, Lady Gaga, Drake, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Neil Diamond, Flo Rida, and The Black Eyed Peas I just don't think possess a particularly rare or unique talent that you'd figure an all-time best-selling artist would. They are uniquely popular though - that's why I find them overrated. Their reputations, the fervor of their fans, and their impact on popular music just seems out of whack relative to their talent level, their creativity, etc.

This is just a really interesting topic and the more I talk about it here the more I find my opinion morphing about what makes someone "overrated." Personally, if someone possesses a unique talent or creativity, it is really hard to say they are overrated. However, you absolutely can be influential and still be overrated. Bob Dylan was incredibly influential, but I personally don't think he possesses any sort of unique talent in terms of a singing voice, and I'm not a fan. I suppose you could argue he was a uniquely creative songwriter, and it'd be hard to disagree with that though. The Beatles were incredibly influential, but they also possessed unique talent and creativity, so I don't find them overrated. I'm also not a fan of The Beatles.

There are a ton of artists in that list who I personally don't like (The Beatles, Elvis, Elton John, Mariah Carey, etc.) and I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second that they're overrated. It isn't about my personal taste. I don't like Mariah Carey or Adele's music one bit, but only an idiot would say they don't possess unique talent. I don't think anybody, even their biggest fans, would say Britney Spears or Katy Perry is uniquely talented in any way, other than perhaps self-promotion and marketability.

Not exactly, no. Much of the people in that list, IMO I think more or less objectively, just aren't uniquely talented. Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Bieber, Lady Gaga, Drake, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Neil Diamond, Flo Rida, and The Black Eyed Peas I just don't think possess a particularly rare or unique talent that you'd figure an all-time best-selling artist would. They are uniquely popular though - that's why I find them overrated. Their reputations, the fervor of their fans, and their impact on popular music just seems out of whack relative to their talent level, their creativity, etc.

This is just a really interesting topic and the more I talk about it here the more I find my opinion morphing about what makes someone "overrated." Personally, if someone possesses a unique talent or creativity, it is really hard to say they are overrated. However, you absolutely can be influential and still be overrated. Bob Dylan was incredibly influential, but I personally don't think he possesses any sort of unique talent in terms of a singing voice, and I'm not a fan. I suppose you could argue he was a uniquely creative songwriter, and it'd be hard to disagree with that though. The Beatles were incredibly influential, but they also possessed unique talent and creativity, so I don't find them overrated. I'm also not a fan of The Beatles.

There are a ton of artists in that list who I personally don't like (The Beatles, Elvis, Elton John, Mariah Carey, etc.) and I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second that they're overrated. It isn't about my personal taste. I don't like Mariah Carey or Adele's music one bit, but only an idiot would say they don't possess unique talent.

I get what you're saying and still would argue with some of the entries on your list. Like, say, whatever I might think of Taylor Swift or her music, or what I think about what my daughters think of her lol, I just can't imagine how anyone could say she's not uniquely talented, especially given what she was creating at the ages she was doing so. She's simultaneously annoying and phenomenal.

I think it's just a heavily subjective exercise, and that's where I keep stalling out in trying to respond — of course it's going to be subjective, so I really don't know what I am arguing for or against here. Who do you think is overrated? Hey, I disagree! lol This is a message board, that's what it's for.

I have absolutely no idea what my point is.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I get what you're saying and still would argue with some of the entries on your list. Like, say, whatever I might think of Taylor Swift or her music, or what I think about what my daughters think of her lol, I just can't imagine how anyone could say she's not uniquely talented, especially given what she was creating at the ages she was doing so. She's simultaneously annoying and phenomenal.

I think it's just a heavily subjective exercise, and that's where I keep stalling out in trying to respond — of course it's going to be subjective, so I really don't know what I am arguing for or against here. Who do you think is overrated? Hey, I disagree! lol This is a message board, that's what it's for.

I have absolutely no idea what my point is.
I just don't think Taylor Swift is a uniquely talented singer, musician, or songwriter. There just isn't anything special about her technical singing ability (listen to some of her live shows with the vocals isolated - holy cow), her technical instrument playing ability, or her songwriting (it's mostly lather, rinse, repeat about her personal breakups). Honestly, the statement that there isn't anything special about her technical singing ability is pretty close to an objective fact. It's like saying Jauan Jennings lacks elite speed for a WR. Swift simply cannot hit notes or have a range that other singers do. She's famous more for her personal image than anything else - as a musician, she's incredibly overrated. I suppose I could give you this...what she was doing at an early age (like 16-17) was impressive given her age.

Of course to some degree this is subjective, but at the same time there are all sorts of artists who I don't like who I'd never call overrated. I've mentioned a bunch of them in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wireless1
It's what they broke through with. But Wilson was never happy with just that. Like I said, he was always looking to experiment with new sounds. I think that gets overlooked because most people remember them for the surf songs.

This. My understanding is that Wilson pioneered the technique of recording songs in pieces with different instrumentation and splicing them together into a cohesive whole in post-production.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Gotta weigh in on the Beach Boys...Pet Sounds is one of my top 5 all-time favorite albums but you can throw 99% of everything else they did in the trash.

This. My understanding is that Wilson pioneered the technique of recording songs in pieces with different instrumentation and splicing them together into a cohesive whole in post-production.

He was also a pioneer in the sense that he was the first to make a major rock album that was intended to be taken in like a symphony. Pretty much everything the rock community had produced up to that point was meant for a standing/dancing/party audience. He wanted to make something people just sat and listened to.

**** you if you fill your big water bottle at the gym during busy hours. The cooler gets 8 chilled gallons per hour so I/others end up with warm water (and at times, I'm stuck waiting a minute for you to fill up).

Why doesn't anybody put anything back where they found it? Some people don't even pay attention to where they got it from, giving them no chance of putting it back.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
BwdzjESIgAEzMwg.0.jpg

The HOV lane on the interstate is an aggravating abject failure.
Let's encourage drivers to carpool by giving them their own lane in metropolitan areas.... but the vast majority of people going to work drive there alone.... SO....instead of saving fuel ... the HOV lane gets minimal use and creates bigger and longer traffic jams resulting in higher fuel consumption.... longer transit times... and more frustration!

Turn signals should be integrated into nav systems and those are required by 2020

It’s annoying that women can talk thier way out of any ticket given they can do 1 of 2 things:

Instacry or have incredible cleavage

A man gets stopped he’s not crying, or dangling his way out of a ticket.

Watching golf in any form is mind numbing. I’m fully convinced that its just an excuse to take a nap.

People that work inside in July and say “it’s to hot in here” make my skin crawl. Enjoy your position there’s much worse places to work

VN Store

Back