Give me your hottest takes in life

He said he "may not" be top 10 all time in 10 more years. He certainly is going to be even further from the top in the counting stats 10 years from now, and as I've been saying his legacy as a player lies predominately in the huge stats he put up, not wins in big games.

The take wasn't his "legacy", it said "accomplishments". (and 2SB wins/1st ballot unanimous HOF is likely to never look bad anyway) Career numbers are in large part a matter of playing at a high level plus longevity. That's a tricky thing to count on. Topping 72k yards and 540tds takes some doing. As to individual season marks they're even harder. Nobody's come within 5 of Manning's 55td's and other than Brees only Brady has come within a decent game's yardage of Manning's 5,477y season. (that's 342y a game for a whole season) Short of a change is how the game is played (which throws everything out the window) it's hard to imagine those season numbers ever being anything short of fantastic.

Hey, there's a reason it was a "hot" take by McDad. I was just pointing out that take may be a bit hotter than it looked at first blush.

The take wasn't his "legacy", it said "accomplishments". (and 2SB wins/1st ballot unanimous HOF is likely to never look bad anyway) Career numbers are in large part a matter of playing at a high level plus longevity. That's a tricky thing to count on. Topping 72k yards and 540tds takes some doing. As to individual season marks they're even harder. Nobody's come within 5 of Manning's 55td's and other than Brees only Brady has come within a decent game's yardage of Manning's 5,477y season. (that's 342y a game for a whole season) Short of a change is how the game is played (which throws everything out the window) it's hard to imagine those season numbers ever being anything short of fantastic.

Hey, there's a reason it was a "hot" take by McDad. I was just pointing out that take may be a bit hotter than it looked at first blush.
Legacy is determined by accomplishments, and in football the main accomplishments that get remembered are big wins, not stats. Joe Namath has a legacy purely because he guaranteed a SB win and delivered. Outside of that, the man did nothing notable whatsoever on a football field.

Peyton's accomplishments are predominately, thought not exclusively, in the statistical realm. Peyton's stats over time, the way the game is played today and likely will continue to be played, will likely be watered down over time and not appear as eye-popping. Honestly, they already don't appear as eye-popping as they did when he was playing.

Peyton needed a better playoff record and more SBs to truly cement his place as a guaranteed #2-#4 QB of all time no matter how his stats ended up looking.

Ok - I'm going "big names worthy of their immense reputation" here, not underrated (that can be another list).

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Clash
The Doors
Rush
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Nirvana
The Killers
2Pac
Eminem
Outkast
ZZ Top
The Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimi Hendrix
David Bowie

There are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
It's not about overrated or underrated, it's about taste. The bands/people you call overrated just aren't your personal taste. That doesn't lessen their contributions to the music scene.

It's not about overrated or underrated, it's about taste. The bands/people you call overrated just aren't your personal taste. That doesn't lessen their contributions to the music scene.
I try as much as possible to not make it about taste. I'm not a Beatles fan, for example. Don't care for their sound. I'd never say they were overrated though.

Notice I didn't say any of those bands were terrible or entirely undeserving of praise. I said they were overrated.

I think there's pretty good cases to be made for all of them:

#1 and #5 (especially #1) are famous primarily for their fan clubs and showmanship, not necessarily their musicianship. Jimmy Buffett isn't an incredible, or even very good, musician. Jerry Garcia was a good guitar player and had a unique sound, but he isn't on anybody's "greatest guitarists ever" lists.

#2's songs all sound exactly alike and are about the same thing. Extremely formulaic.

#3's music is very safe, bland, and vanilla.

#4 isn't a very good singer. Amazing songwriter that captured the general mood of the generation he was a part of (which is why he's so highly regarded), but not a good singer.

People that say Dylan wasn't a good singer either haven't heard Nashville Skyline (which included Lay Lady Lay) or fear something that is different than what is traditionally thought of as good. No one could sing Tangled Up in Blue like Dylan and express the emotions he does.

Anything like this is necessarily subjective. Tom Waits is a good example — I think he’s a brilliant writer and I love his voice and his singing styles, but I get how some people just may not like it.

Legacy is determined by accomplishments, and in football the main accomplishments that get remembered are big wins, not stats. Joe Namath has a legacy purely because he guaranteed a SB win and delivered. Outside of that, the man did nothing notable whatsoever on a football field.

Peyton's accomplishments are predominately, thought not exclusively, in the statistical realm. Peyton's stats over time, the way the game is played today and likely will continue to be played, will likely be watered down over time and not appear as eye-popping. Honestly, they already don't appear as eye-popping as they did when he was playing.

Peyton needed a better playoff record and more SBs to truly cement his place as a guaranteed #2-#4 QB of all time no matter how his stats ended up looking.

I get what you’re saying, but nobody will ever think Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler or Trent Dilfer has a better legacy than Marino or Jim Kelly.

I get what you’re saying, but nobody will ever think Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler or Trent Dilfer has a better legacy than Marino or Jim Kelly.
Wins are the main accomplishments that get remembered, but not the only. Also, those guys you mentioned didn't particularly have a lot to do with their teams winning those SBs. That's actually the biggest determinant of a legacy...did you have a lot to do with your teams winning lots of big games.

If you won big games but are perceived (rightly or wrongly) as being a bit player in the victories, your legacy is hurt. If you didn't win a bunch of big games, even if you stats are eye popping, your legacy is hurt. It takes both.

When you think of Dilfer, what do you think of? A completely mediocre QB (some would say bad) who won a SB because of the defense and Jamal Lewis. When you think of Dan Marino, what do you think of? It isn't how many yards or TDs he threw for - it's the fact he was a great QB who never won a SB. When I think of Jim Kelly, the 4 SB losses immediately come to mind. I know he was a great QB, but could not tell you with any specificity off the top of my head where he ranks all-time in yardage, TDs, etc.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They aren't terrible, but they are pretty overrated.

Most overrated bands of all time:
1. Jimmy Buffett (some will take issue with this, saying he isn't supposed to be taken all that seriously as a musician and it's more about his "vibe," but I still put him here)
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Eagles
4. Bob Dylan
5. The Grateful Dead

For starters, I don't know if Buffett and the Beach Boys can be called overrated, as I don't think many people would rate them in the top-echelon in the first place. They both have/had their niche and following, they both have written timeless songs, and they're fun. I doubt they get many accolades for their technicality or musicianship.

The Eagles? I'd love to hear why you consider them overrated. I'm pretty sure they still have 2 of the top-3 selling albums of all time, they have a whole catalog of classics, and until you can pick Hotel California cleanly or write a song that even begins to approach its intricacy, you don't get to diss their musical ability.

I don't like Dylan. His voice grates on my nerves and I just have never cared for the music. I'll give you that one.

The Grateful Dead had/has a cult-like following. You could probably say they are "overrated" from a musical standpoint. However, with the addition of John Mayer as front-man to D&C, that is certainly no longer the case -- him being unarguably one of the best guitarists of our generation. Bob Weir, the two Dead percussionists, and the bass player (can't remember his name) are all dang good, too.

IMO, if I had to pick just one band for the list, I'd go with Nirvana. I know they were the face of the Grunge movement and probably paved the way for a lot of bands I really like. However, their songs are simplistic, Cobain had a terrible voice, and their music demonstrated no appreciable technical skill whatsoever. Heck, if they could write and perform in such an intoxicated state, you know it couldn't have been too difficult.

People that say Dylan wasn't a good singer either haven't heard Nashville Skyline (which included Lay Lady Lay) or fear something that is different than what is traditionally thought of as good. No one could sing Tangled Up in Blue like Dylan and express the emotions he does.
Yep, heard him at TPAC in Nashville 2-3 years ago. His band was as good as it gets. Fine if you don't like his voice. he is still America's greatest songwriter. He has recorded 38 albums. Great concert. The guy who sat next to me had seen him 23 times and was 38 yo. He traveled and arranged his schedule so he could see him. Steven Tyler sat next to my wife. She didn't care for Aerosmith until then.

For starters, I don't know if Buffett and the Beach Boys can be called overrated, as I don't think many people would rate them in the top-echelon in the first place. They both have/had their niche and following, they both have written timeless songs, and they're fun. I doubt they get many accolades for their technicality or musicianship.

The Eagles? I'd love to hear why you consider them overrated. I'm pretty sure they still have 2 of the top-3 selling albums of all time, they have a whole catalog of classics, and until you can pick Hotel California cleanly or write a song that even begins to approach its intricacy, you don't get to diss their musical ability.

I don't like Dylan. His voice grates on my nerves and I just have never cared for the music. I'll give you that one.

The Grateful Dead had/has a cult-like following. You could probably say they are "overrated" from a musical standpoint. However, with the addition of John Mayer as front-man to D&C, that is certainly no longer the case -- him being unarguably one of the best guitarists of our generation. Bob Weir, the two Dead percussionists, and the bass player (can't remember his name) are all dang good, too.

IMO, if I had to pick just one band for the list, I'd go with Nirvana. I know they were the face of the Grunge movement and probably paved the way for a lot of bands I really like. However, their songs are simplistic, Cobain had a terrible voice, and their music demonstrated no appreciable technical skill whatsoever. Heck, if they could write and perform in such an intoxicated state, you know it couldn't have been too difficult.
Fair point about Buffett and The Beach Boys, especially Buffett. I call Buffett overrated mostly because he has such a passionate, dedicated following, yet there doesn't appear to be anything special about him. The best way I know how to put it is that it seems like there are thousands of people out there who could have been Jimmy Buffett. There aren't thousands of people out there who could have been, say, Hendrix.

As far as The Eagles, I find their music to be just kind of plain vanilla. There isn't really anything unique or special about it that makes it notable to me. I'm not saying they're bad by any stretch, just that they have a following/reputation that seems outsized for the band they are.

As far as Nirvana, I wouldn't put them in the overrated category generally but within grunge I actually think they are overrated, or perhaps there are other grunge bands (AIC and Soundgarden come to mind) that I think are underappreciated relative to Nirvana. When you talk grunge music, Nirvana usually dominates that conversation and sucks all the air out of the room where there were a ton of other good bands in that genre as well. Pearl Jam is overrated.

More overrated musicians not previously mentioned, just going down the list of best sellers of all-time: List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

Rihanna (she's 7th all-time, believe it or not)
Taylor Swift
Garth Brooks
U2
ABBA
Justin Bieber
Lady Gaga
Drake
Maroon 5
Katy Perry
Chris Brown
Bon Jovi
Britney Spears
Backstreet Boys
Neil Diamond
Flo Rida
The Black Eyed Peas

You're wrong about the Beach Boys being known for technicality and musicianship. Brian Wilson was known for trying different tones and creating new sounds. Their writing is simplistic in nature, but the music itself was considered a bit revolutionary. Especially Pet Sounds.

You're wrong about the Beach Boys being known for technicality and musicianship. Brian Wilson was known for trying different tones and creating new sounds. Their writing is simplistic in nature, but the music itself was considered a bit revolutionary. Especially Pet Sounds.
Yep. Wilson in particular is known for his technical skill. I put them on that list because I think they're gimmicky, formulaic, and everything they came up with sounded exactly alike. If you're heard one Beach Boys song, you've heard them all.

Yep. Wilson in particular is known for his technical skill. I put them on that list because I think they're gimmicky, formulaic, and everything they came up with sounded exactly alike. If you're heard one Beach Boys song, you've heard them all.
I don't agree with that completely. All of their surf songs are gimmicky and sound similar. But they had other songs that broke with convention. And with Brian Wilson always experimenting with sounds, I think the musicality is there. If anything, I actually think Brian Wilson is underrated.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
When I look at musicians, I try to see what exactly they brought to the field. New sounds, new emotions, something that music previously lacked. For me, it's not necessarily about how great their voice is, but what else they brought to the table. That's one of the reasons I could never consider Dylan overrated.

Reactions: samanderson
More overrated musicians not previously mentioned, just going down the list of best sellers of all-time: List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

Rihanna (she's 7th all-time, believe it or not)
Taylor Swift
Garth Brooks
U2
ABBA
Justin Bieber
Lady Gaga
Drake
Maroon 5
Katy Perry
Chris Brown
Bon Jovi
Britney Spears
Backstreet Boys
Neil Diamond
Flo Rida
The Black Eyed Peas

But isn't that really just a list of popular music performers you don't like? I guess just about any list of overrated artists would be just that though. It would be hard to make that objective.

Like for instance, U2. I like them just fine, was never a super huge fan by any means, but I don't know how anyone could call them overrated in an objective sense. Sold a gajillion records, sold out countless stadiums, won more Grammys than probably anyone (for whatever that's worth), had a massive following for a long time who clearly really connected with their music. In terms of being overrated, I don't know by what objective measure they can be rated that they haven't matched up to. You could say Bono can't sing or the Edge can't play a lick but those would be just personal judgments that run counter to popular opinion.

All that being said though, Justin Bieber objectively sucks.

I don't agree with that completely. All of their surf songs are gimmicky and sound similar. But they had other songs that broke with convention. And with Brian Wilson always experimenting with sounds, I think the musicality is there. If anything, I actually think Brian Wilson is underrated.
But that's what they're most famous for though. Hence the overrated-ness.

But that's what they're most famous for though. Hence the overrated-ness.
It's what they broke through with. But Wilson was never happy with just that. Like I said, he was always looking to experiment with new sounds. I think that gets overlooked because most people remember them for the surf songs.

Reactions: Quaint88

VN Store

Back