Agree or Disagree

TDawg

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-4-sec-east-contenders-from-reaching-atlanta/

This article pins UTs hopes of having a great season on JG but honestly, outsider looking in, I still think it comes down to how the trenches perform. That being said, there are about 5 other things in this article that are just DUMB. Even mentioning Felipe Franks name in the same sentence with "NFL Prospect" is ridiculous until he gets his fuzzy head out of his ass and develops some accuracy which probably ain't happening overnight. Not one QB Mullen has coaches has been super accurate so that thought is subject to debate too.

Anyway, still thinking the Vawls work over the gatuhs, USuCk, UK and Vandy this year. I like them over Mizzou too but still need to see how that team performs early with Bryant.

I think this thread will devolve into "he sucks" vs "he's flawless" šŸ˜

Some of the author's takes seem a bit skewed.
But either way, there's things both JG can do better and Chaney can do to compensate, for the OL - if they continue to struggle. And that will play a huge factor.

I think this thread will devolve into "he sucks" vs "he's flawless" šŸ˜

Some of the author's takes seem a bit skewed.
But either way, there's things both JG can do better and Chaney can do to compensate, for the OL - if they continue to struggle. And that will play a huge factor.
I was never a Chaney basher while he was at UGA but he had a tendency to fall in love with a play or two to the point where he would just push it until it worked .. until it still didn't .. see the goal line series' against UF where Chaney called 7 run plays in a row from the 2.

Reactions: kbear01 and Remy
I was never a Chaney basher while he was at UGA but he had a tendency to fall in love with a play or two to the point where he would just push it until it worked .. until it still didn't .. see the goal line series' against UF where Chaney called 7 run plays in a row from the 2.
Pretty sure Pruitt won't let that happen here

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-4-sec-east-contenders-from-reaching-atlanta/
This article pins UTs hopes of having a great season on JG but honestly, outsider looking in, I still think it comes down to how the trenches perform. That being said, there are about 5 other things in this article that are just DUMB. Even mentioning Felipe Franks name in the same sentence with "NFL Prospect" is ridiculous until he gets his fuzzy head out of his ass and develops some accuracy which probably ain't happening overnight. Not one QB Mullen has coaches has been super accurate so that thought is subject to debate too.

To be fair to the author, he did say the 'good' FF is an NFL talent, and I don't think there is any doubt the has all the physical tools to be a successful NFL QB. If he gets his head fully together he can be a good next level QB.

Definitely OL and DL are biggest concerns. JG can only do so much with an O-line that can't block.

And run blocking was the even bigger problem than pass blocking last season. But that also impacts the passing game, because defenses would rush the passer every down, because they weren't afraid of the run. I think OL will improve this year (it'd be difficult for it to get worse), but how much it improves, I don't know. I still think we're at least a year away from having a decent OL personally, but hope to be surprised.

Agree on FF. Dan Mullen is a miracle worker when it comes to QBs, but I can only see Florida going so far with FF. Some of the Florida posters here think FF is much better than JG, but I'd strongly disagree. I'd take JG over Franks any day of the week. We were held back last season not by JG, but by weakness on the OL and lack of depth in the defensive front 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: VetVol and tbh
I can only imagine the heat he would've gotten if he threw a few times with UGA's line and depth at RB. I remember a few years ago when we threw at the goal line against USC when we had Gurley in the backfield. If your o-line can't get you 2 yards in 7 plays, its not on the OC. Imo Chaney's strength is game planning and his weakness is in-game adjustments. Some of his game plans have been incredible. First half against Bama in the SECC, OU in the Rose Bowl, and the 09 UGA-UT game where UGA had no answer for Crompton come to mind.

To be fair to the author, he did say the 'good' FF is an NFL talent, and I don't think there is any doubt the has all the physical tools to be a successful NFL QB. If he gets his head fully together he can be a good next level QB.
I mean, they keep talking about the "good FF" and point to the last few games last year. Look at their last 4 regular season games and he got destroyed by Mizzous defense .. we didn't know Mizzou had a defense. Then had a decent game against USuCk before beating up a bad Idaho team and a nearly as bad FSU team. I think the writer is pretty clear that of the 4 teams he is talking about, he is a UF fan first, showing 3 good throws by FF and not the 1,303 bad ones.

I can only imagine the heat he would've gotten if he threw a few times with UGA's line and depth at RB. I remember a few years ago when we threw at the goal line against USC when we had Gurley in the backfield. If your o-line can't get you 2 yards in 7 plays, its not on the OC. Imo Chaney's strength is game planning and his weakness is in-game adjustments. Some of his game plans have been incredible. First half against Bama in the SECC, OU in the Rose Bowl, and the 09 UGA-UT game where UGA had no answer for Crompton come to mind.
They sold out to the run every time and UGA kept running into it and they never sent help to the weak side to block Jachai Polite who kept coming off the edge unblocked

Look at the point deficits in our losses, hell, look at our offensive production in some of our wins. We could have better oline and dline play, but if our offense doesn't score at a much higher rate than they did in 2018, then the better line play won't matter that much.

QB performance is still the single largest contributing factor in offensive production.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
JG has definitely got to improve his decision making. When a shotgun snap hits his hands he had to learn to immediately scramble right, scramble left, or chuck the deep out to one of those stud receivers. He can read the D and make choices while dusting himself off otw back to the huddle. Smart kid. He'll figure it out.

Reactions: tbh and BeardedVol
Look at the point deficits in our losses, hell, look at our offensive production in some of our wins. We could have better oline and dline play, but if our offense doesn't score at a much higher rate than they did in 2018, then the better line play won't matter that much.

QB performance is still the single largest contributing factor in offensive production.
Exactly the kind of response expected from you. If you don't think OL play is one of, if not the most, important aspects of the game, then the logical thought is a moot point with you. You can dominate teams with a mediocre QB if you have a line that can bulldoze everyone.

Exactly the kind of response expected from you. If you don't think OL play is one of, if not the most, important aspects of the game, then the logical thought is a moot point with you. You can dominate teams with a mediocre QB if you have a line that can bulldoze everyone.

So increased oline performance alone is going to manifest increased scoring to the tune of 25+ points? How's that work exactly?

So increased oline performance alone is going to manifest increased scoring to the tune of 25+ points? How's that work exactly?
Might help your QB get up past the 8 YPA ... even Jake Bentley was rolling at 8.17 last year which overall helps a ton and helps his accuracy when he is not on the move as much. Could also help one or two of the RBs to hit 6 - 6.5 YPC also .. these are things that move chains and sustain drives and all that starts with the OL.

RBs Chubb & Michel during and after their junior campaign had several come to Jesus moments with Chaney and Smart. Chaney fell in love with Eason and the passing game a little too much, see their Florida loss that same year. But it took a concerted effort to put the offense in the running game's hands again, that and Eason going down and replaced by an inexperienced Fromme.

Might help your QB get up past the 8 YPA ... even Jake Bentley was rolling at 8.17 last year which overall helps a ton and helps his accuracy when he is not on the move as much. Could also help one or two of the RBs to hit 6 - 6.5 YPC also .. these are things that move chains and sustain drives and all that starts with the OL.

I'm not saying that the oline doesn't affect the QB performance, but the oline could improve, and if the QB doesn't capitalize on the improved oline play, then improved oline play is not going to translate to increased performance in terms of scoring more points. The oline was terrible at run-blocking the entirety of 2018, they were just too undersized to effectively open holes or hold blocks on run plays, but they did improve somewhat on pass protection by the end of the season. Unfortunately, JG was unable to capitalize on any increased time he got in the pocket, he still tended to hold onto the ball, and struggled to be able to lead receivers by getting the ball out quick. He's got to improve in those areas, and being able to pick up on blitzes if any oline improvement in 2019 is to be capitalized on.

Last edited:
We need the two freshman OTs to immediately have a Trey Smith like impact. If they do, we could win 9 games. If not, could miss out on a bowl again

We need the two freshman OTs to immediately have a Trey Smith like impact. If they do, we could win 9 games. If not, could miss out on a bowl again
That's a lot to ask of kids in this league .. and speaking of, still hoping for Trey to get healthy .. whether it's for football or anything else, but get healthy and make an impact on society

Reactions: Vol49er
That's a lot to ask of kids in this league .. and speaking of, still hoping for Trey to get healthy .. whether it's for football or anything else, but get healthy and make an impact on society
Trey has been doing a lot of really good things outside of FB and now there's a glimmer of hope for the field. He's been off bloodthinners for an undisclosed amount of time and taking those is the biggest factor in him not being allowed contact.

I'm not "counting" on him but have at least moved to possibly.

Reactions: jakez4ut
JG has never shown me that he knows how to win. The rest of the team will have to play exceptionally well if JG is tagged with 7 or more wins at QB. In fact, I doubt he is our starting QB for more than 6 games. The creme will rise, and VN is ready!

Trey has been doing a lot of really good things outside of FB and now there's a glimmer of hope for the field. He's been off bloodthinners for an undisclosed amount of time and taking those is the biggest factor in him not being allowed contact.

I'm not "counting" on him but have at least moved to possibly.
Thank God and thank you for the update .. kid's well being no matter what team is first and foremost .. but damn that dude is big and talented .. if he can get back on the field at the same level, he's a top 3 pick in the draft

Anyway, still thinking the Vawls work over the gatuhs, USuCk, UK and Vandy this year. I like them over Mizzou too but still need to see how that team performs early with Bryant.

Hey man, itā€™s not a huge thing but why would you call us Vawls on our board.
Kind of like us going on your boards and using u-gay. I hate that too.

You are correct. The lack of depth for the line will be the biggest factor in overall record. Personally I see us at 7-5. Hopefully I'm surprised.

Reactions: kbear01

VN Store

Back