'20 GA OL Tate Ratledge (UGA commit)

It's ok to remove the Power T but why do it while being filmed? Are you trying to make a point? We understand that you will support your son no matter what. But to have someone film you while you removed it is just plain low class. Were you trying to disrespect TN? You knew what the response would be and didn't care. So yea, what a douchebag move.

You guys are stupid. This is REAL LIFE... and that is HIS son.... if my son wanted me to do that then I would... I’m not rooting against my own son if he plays UT... this is absolutely stupid.

No. I wouldn't root against my son. But I'm also not re-writing who I am because the Vols couldn't land him either. I'd be like "Son, I'm rooting for you and I hope you do well...even against the Vols...but I am not going to pretend that I don't like Tennessee just because you are down there."

The scoop I got today in regards to Tate picking Georgia and maybe someone like @secking could help verify this. Im only the messenger but a good friend of mine is an assistant coach at ETSU who in return is very close friends with Tee. One of Georgia's main selling points to Tate was they would stop recruiting Paris Johnson Jr. and Tate would be the only tackle they would take this cycle. Plus everyone knows they are losing one maybe 2 starting Tackles to the draft this year. (not sold on Isiah Wilson) Tennessee would not offer this and tried to hammer home that you don't replace 2 with 1 in any recruiting cycle and you don't fix our oline problems with one cycle either. Competition breeds success and we need plenty of it. I also took this news as positive towards Paris if the coaches were not willing to stop recruiting him just to help get Tate but that's just me thinking outside the box.
UGA is taking 5 OL this cycle, only took 3 last year. Looks to be 3 OT and 2 OG, currently 3 are committed, Jones, Ogunbiyi, and Ratledge so looking for 1 more Tackle and 1 more Guard. UGA does like to cross train their lineman so being a guard this year doesn’t mean you aren’t a tackle next year. With more experience, you move from inside to outside as it means you can pass protect better. UGA is still recruiting OL and Tate said he is now recruiting more OL (interview with Sentell).

Here is one of the OL recruits telling Paris he is next. I will say Paris is supposed to make his “final” decision in June.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Refresh my memory... didn't UT just sign one of the nation's best OL recruiting classes? Wasn't Morris recruited right out from under UGA's nose?

Players choose schools for lots of reasons and as a parent you have to be supportive in something like this.
Yes Morris was a Georgia athlete that UT managed to sign, but that doesn't mean anything, Imo. TR is going to have to compete for playing time at either School. I was having a conversation with a co-worker about Morris and Wright and the possibility of it scaring ratledge off. But, with all the UT ties, it would have been nice to get him to come home! There's also the possibility of someone sliding inside to one of the Guard positions, also. Will never know now. Unless, of course, he changes his mind.😎🤑

Yes Morris was a Georgia athlete that UT managed to sign, but that doesn't mean anything, Imo. TR is going to have to compete for playing time at either School. I was having a conversation with a co-worker about Morris and Wright and the possibility of it scaring ratledge off. But, with all the UT ties, it would have been nice to get him to come home! There's also the possibility of someone sliding inside to one of the Guard positions, also. Will never know now. Unless, of course, he changes his mind.😎🤑
He has lived in Georgia since he was 4 years old. He probably thinks of that as already being "home". Do you have any memories going back that young? I don't. Just like with Trevor Lawrence, if we were a lot better, we would have had a good chance but right now, these kids are making "business decisions" and we are still too much of an unknown risk. I don't have a problem with the kid... his dad is an attention whore for that video.

Reactions: JacketVol
Nope. I would still have my power T on my truck. I would however be at every game I could make it to for my son.
Wouldn’t that make it GT?

I think he could have left it up and added the G somewhere, you see house divided tags all the time, nothing wrong with rooting for both.

But, you are exactly right. 1st team in my house, is my family. Nothing any school can do for me that can trump what my kids give me.
I’ve coached everyone of my kids in one sport or another and looks like soccer is next. (I do NOT like soccer but I’m sure it will grow on me). Looks to me they are just running sprints...

If a parent (not aimed at anyone particular) doesn’t have their kids First, I’m not sure they don’t need to do some rearranging priorities in life.

Wouldn’t that make it GT?

I think he could have left it up and added the G somewhere, you see house divided tags all the time, nothing wrong with rooting for both.

But, you are exactly right. 1st team in my house, is my family. Nothing any school can do for me that can trump what my kids give me.
I’ve coached everyone of my kids in one sport or another and looks like soccer is next. (I do NOT like soccer but I’m sure it will grow on me). Looks to me they are just running sprints...

If a parent (not aimed at anyone particular) doesn’t have their kids First, I’m not sure they don’t need to do some rearranging priorities in life.
The Ratledge daddy can put a gay pride rainbow sticker on his truck for all we care... it was the stupid attention whore video that was the douche move.

I understand OP being pizzed, but let’s look at this without our orange-tinted glasses.
Rutledge lives in Rome, GA not Knoxville. Still family professes to be Volunteer fans and probably still are (except when playing UT).
Dad did what any proud parent would do and is showing support for his son. Most of us have done a heckuva lot more for our kids than replacing decals on an auto.
The most hurtful thing about this action is that it underscores how far we have fallen, not only locally, but within a couple of hundred miles recruiting area.
We saw it previously with Cade Mays going to GA. His dad played for UT, family was pro Vol and live in Knoxville. (I expect the Butch situation adversely affected that as well). If Cooper Mays commits to GA, that will say it all.
In order to compete with schools with better recruiting classes, UT will have to squeeze every ounce of talent from the players and coaches that are on the roster, somehow convert this into wins, crawl up the rankings and thus make players feel confident that signing with UT is the “right” thing to do. Then maybe we will attract more 4 and 5 stars.
GBO

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
The Ratledge daddy can put a gay pride rainbow sticker on his truck for all we care... it was the stupid attention whore video that was the douche move.
Tate is the one that mentioned dad would do it sometime, think the media went paparazzi following him out and making the big deal out of it. If you watch the entire video, I’m not sure dad knew he was even being watched? I could be wrong.

I do agree however that I think I would have left it up, or at least waited till I got home. I mean it’s the same guy that was flying T flags two months ago during March Madness, I think he still loves UT, just loves Tate more.

I just don't get the hate for Pittman. He is the GOAT. I was shocked when UT didn't retain him.
You’re not serious about the hate are you? Plenty of people here have pointed out Pittman’s recruiting and coaching reputation. Pretty clear they respect him, but are tired of other team’s fans coming here to sing his praise.

Hope he doesn't have another kid who wants to go to UF. What's he gonna do then?

There's plenty of room for multiple decals on the family truck and plenty of room for multiple team apparel in the closet. It's possible to support your son, his school and your school, too. Sports families have been doing it for decades.

You guys are stupid. This is REAL LIFE... and that is HIS son.... if my son wanted me to do that then I would... I’m not rooting against my own son if he plays UT... this is absolutely stupid.
This is real life and parents are babying their children too much. If I was a life long fan of a team I certainly wouldn't stop being a fan because my child chose to go to another school. I would obviously cheer for my child in all of their games and hope for the best and safest career but I would not let my child dictate what team I am a fan of.

This is just reality after going a record of 49-50 since 2011. It will also continue to happen unless we start winning games.
"Starting to win" won't get it done. Multiple 9-11 win seasons are necessary for the UT image to improve and for these players to view the school as an attractive destination. 2019 would be an excellent time to initiate this process.

Reactions: Catbone
We just landed a JUCO kid who has an offer from GA, so not the end of the world. This kid's dad might have been an alleged UT guy but he obviously wasn't a huge fan or there is no way he would have let Atlanta news film him tearing a Power T off his car to make us look bad. Of course he is going to root for his son at UGA but I'm calling BS that he was ever a hard core fan of the Vols with a dumb stunt like that

Last edited:
I agree if my son picked a rival school and I was a true Vol Fan I would tell my son I will be there for you.I love you but I will be in my Tennessee gear.

We just landed a JUCO kid who has an offer from GA, big whoop. This kid's dad might have been an alleged UT guy but he obviously wasn't a huge fan or there is no way he would have let Atlanta news film him tearing a Power T off his car to make us look bad. Of course he is going to root for his son at UGA but I'm calling BS that he was ever a hard core fan of the Vols with a dumb stunt like that
That juco kid just got bumped to a 4 star on 247 and rivals if that helps you sleep at night.

Douche move maybe.

I think this was more about supporting his son by putting a Georgia decal on. I don’t think he meant any disrespect towards Tennessee but maybe I’m giving them too much credit.

That juco kid just got bumped to a 4 star on 247 and rivals if that helps you sleep at night.
I went back and forth on how to take his comment, it may have been a compliment given the rest of his statement. Like this:

~ 'we also took a juco player they wanted, so them getting someone we wanted, isn't the end of the world, it happens'

I went back and forth on how to take his comment, it may have been a compliment given the rest of his statement. Like this:

~ 'we also took a juco player they wanted, so them getting someone we wanted, isn't the end of the world, it happens'

Thanks. That is how it was meant

VN Store

Back