Give me your hottest takes in life

The punishment for:
1. driving slow in the fast lane while refusing to move to the right lane,
2. coming to a complete stop on a merging on ramp, and
3. cutting in the last 50 feet when the first "lane closed/merge" sign was 2 miles back should be the costliest tickets allowed by law.

People should be allowed to pee into storm drains, particularly in downtown Nashville. There are virtually no public restrooms and people wind up searching out dark corners and blind spots in hopes of relieving themselves without being arrested. The current system creates hidden pee pools all over the place that unsuspecting pedestrians trod through and spread with each footstep. Plus, the city smells like piss the morning after.

The punishment for:
3. cutting in the last 50 feet when the first "lane closed/merge" sign was 2 miles back should be the costliest tickets allowed by law.
Ok, I'm going to be that guy because this is a pet peeve of mine. Studies show that merging where the lane actually closes, the so-called "zipper merge", reduces traffic by 40-50% over merging early. I see the effects of this every day driving home. Merging early just slows everything down.

Go Ahead!: Is the "zipper merge" rude?

America's Funniest Home Videos is what started the incredibly self promoting and self absorbed lifestyle many people live today. Facebook ramped it up.
I'll counter that hot take with this one - that tendency in people (self-promotion, self-absorbed, etc.) has always been there. Social media just gives people a way to display it more obviously and easily. And it's a self-reinforcement mechanism - people are self-absorbed, so they gravitate towards things that allow them to display that, which makes them even more self-absorbed.

If smartphones and social media existed in 1875, people would interact with them in largely the same way.

if you spit into the urinal before you pee anyone has the right to take out your knees with a tire iron.

Ok, I'm going to be that guy because this is a pet peeve of mine. Studies show that merging where the lane actually closes, the so-called "zipper merge", reduces traffic by 40-50% over merging early. I see the effects of this every day driving home. Merging early just slows everything down.

Go Ahead!: Is the "zipper merge" rude?
I imagine he's referring to the times when the person can get over simply without flooring it or cutting somebody off as opposed to waiting until the last second when they do have to cut someone off.

The punishment for:
That's the way I feel about tailgaters.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Very common things or technologies that have been around for many years can be made to be sound ultra-dangerous when described in a certain way, and I wonder if they made their debut in today's climate if they would be accepted.

- Over 40k people die in the United States each year in automobile crashes. If 40k people died each year in commercial air travel in the United States - hell, if 1k people died each year in commercial air travel - which transports far more people each year than automobiles do, it would be a national crisis and airplanes might not be allowed to fly. You know how there are those electronic signs above interstates that show how many people have died YTD on that state's roads? What if there was a sign at every airport showing how many people had died in crashes of planes that either took off or landed at that airport?

- Also, cars run on gasoline. Gasoline is an extremely toxic, dangerous, and highly flammable substance, yet 16-year-old kids with cash or a credit card can go to a pump on any street corner, dispense 20 gallons of gas on the ground and all around the gas pump, and burn everything in sight. It's available everywhere, and the automobiles described above, which kill 40k year anyway, run on this stuff. In fact, they carry around extremely large tanks to hold the gasoline the car runs on.

- As the technology becomes more mature, a lot of social media platforms (particularly Twitter) are going to be viewed like talk radio is today. If on a talk radio show a string of callers is outraged about a topic, you probably chuckle and change the channel. No reasonable person takes, say, Paul Finebaum seriously. If someone is legitimately effected by something they heard on Finebaum, you think they're kind of crazy. If on social media a horde is outraged about a topic, it becomes a national news story and a company, a politician, a celebrity, etc. could be forced into apologizing or doing something to remedy the situation. It's a big deal that big segments of the population take seriously. Then 24 hours later, the mob has moved onto someone else.

I think social media has the outsized grip on society that is does currently is because it is a new medium, and we are still trying to figure out how to react to what it says and how to "place" it in our society. For starters, we can begin taking it waaaaaaay less seriously.

Beer snobs are more obnoxious than Apple computer snobs and Toyota Prius snobs combined.
There's definitely a difference between someone who is knowledgeable about beer and someone who tries to make you feel like a lesser person because you don't know as much as they do about beer though.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
There's definitely a difference between someone who is knowledgeable about beer and someone who tries to make you feel like a lesser person because you don't know as much as they do about beer though.
It's a tough balance too. I've been brewing beer since before the terms "beer snob" or "hipster" existed. I always tell people drink what you like but still get called a beer snob sometimes, lol. I think the term today is used for just about anyone that drinks craft.

It's a tough balance too. I've been brewing beer since before the terms "beer snob" or "hipster" existed. I always tell people drink what you like but still get called a beer snob sometimes, lol. I think the term today is used for just about anyone that drinks craft.
Yes, it is.

What's funny is when you hear people drinking Miller Lite, Bud Light, etc. and saying that it's a man's beer in contrast with the milk stout the hipster in the corner is drinking, which might have a 10-12% ABV. The "man's beer" they are drinking is like water compared to the craft stuff they think is for namby-pambies or hipsters.

VN Store

Back