Give me your hottest takes in life

Here's a not so hot take:

Taken as a group, middle schoolers are the worst human beings on the planet.

:cool:
When my daughter was 16 I told her "no one likes teenagers except other teenagers". So I'd throw the high school brats in there too.
When she became a sophomore at UT she came home one weekend, and said "you were right about teenagers".

When my daughter was 16 I told her "no one likes teenagers except other teenagers". So I'd throw the high school brats in there too.
When she became a sophomore at UT she came home one weekend, and said "you were right about teenagers".
Funny, my wife just said she thinks God made the high school years so parents would be ready for their kids to leave the house.

Funny, my wife just said she thinks God made the high school years so parents would be ready for their kids to leave the house.
My wife said I was going to need to check her into a mental hospital when our daughter left home. After about three weeks she said, "I think I can get used to this".
That's when she started saying the same thing as your wife.

Ok, I'm going to be that guy because this is a pet peeve of mine. Studies show that merging where the lane actually closes, the so-called "zipper merge", reduces traffic by 40-50% over merging early. I see the effects of this every day driving home. Merging early just slows everything down.

Go Ahead!: Is the "zipper merge" rude?
It’s the only way to merge here in DC

My wife said I was going to need to check her into a mental hospital when our daughter left home. After about three weeks she said, "I think I can get used to this".
That's when she started saying the same thing as your wife.
The problem is: my oldest is just finishing his freshman year!

Reactions: Go aeiou
Ok, I'm going to be that guy because this is a pet peeve of mine. Studies show that merging where the lane actually closes, the so-called "zipper merge", reduces traffic by 40-50% over merging early. I see the effects of this every day driving home. Merging early just slows everything down.

Go Ahead!: Is the "zipper merge" rude?
Jesus, DaVinci, and Einstein could say this and I wouldnt believe them either.

I imagine he's referring to the times when the person can get over simply without flooring it or cutting somebody off as opposed to waiting until the last second when they do have to cut someone off.
Absolutely correct.

Very common things or technologies that have been around for many years can be made to be sound ultra-dangerous when described in a certain way, and I wonder if they made their debut in today's climate if they would be accepted.

- Over 40k people die in the United States each year in automobile crashes. If 40k people died each year in commercial air travel in the United States - hell, if 1k people died each year in commercial air travel - which transports far more people each year than automobiles do, it would be a national crisis and airplanes might not be allowed to fly. You know how there are those electronic signs above interstates that show how many people have died YTD on that state's roads? What if there was a sign at every airport showing how many people had died in crashes of planes that either took off or landed at that airport?

- Also, cars run on gasoline. Gasoline is an extremely toxic, dangerous, and highly flammable substance, yet 16-year-old kids with cash or a credit card can go to a pump on any street corner, dispense 20 gallons of gas on the ground and all around the gas pump, and burn everything in sight. It's available everywhere, and the automobiles described above, which kill 40k year anyway, run on this stuff. In fact, they carry around extremely large tanks to hold the gasoline the car runs on.

- As the technology becomes more mature, a lot of social media platforms (particularly Twitter) are going to be viewed like talk radio is today. If on a talk radio show a string of callers is outraged about a topic, you probably chuckle and change the channel. No reasonable person takes, say, Paul Finebaum seriously. If someone is legitimately effected by something they heard on Finebaum, you think they're kind of crazy. If on social media a horde is outraged about a topic, it becomes a national news story and a company, a politician, a celebrity, etc. could be forced into apologizing or doing something to remedy the situation. It's a big deal that big segments of the population take seriously. Then 24 hours later, the mob has moved onto someone else.

I think social media has the outsized grip on society that is does currently is because it is a new medium, and we are still trying to figure out how to react to what it says and how to "place" it in our society. For starters, we can begin taking it waaaaaaay less seriously.
Did u say planes transport more people than cars yearly??

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
The punishment for:
3. cutting in the last 50 feet when the first "lane closed/merge" sign was 2 miles back should be the costliest tickets allowed by law.

I've been you sitting in that early merged traffic wasting my time and the only regret I had was why the hell didn't I do the same thing that ******* passing me by at 60mph did and merge at the last minute. :)

If you're going through a drive-thru, know what you want. People behind you shouldn't have to wait 15 minutes while you decide.

And I don't believe in speed limits. There should be speed minimums.

I've been you sitting in that early merged traffic wasting my time and the only regret I had was why the hell didn't I do the same thing that ******* passing me by at 60mph did and merge at the last minute. :)
Ive been known to refuse the merge of the last minute mergers. Ive also cooperated with Semis who block the lane that's merging so no one can do the last minute thing.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Did u say planes transport more people than cars yearly??
Should have been way more clear than I was - I got fired up and typed that really quickly.

When you factor in the hundreds of millions of people flying on planes combined with the fact that those planes are carrying people way more miles than cars do, the distances that planes are moving people more than cars each year is immense.

Should have been way more clear than I was - I got fired up and typed that really quickly.

When you factor in the hundreds of millions of people flying on planes combined with the fact that those planes are carrying people way more miles than cars do, the distances that planes are moving people more than cars each year is immense.

I understand the mindset but your scale is way off.

ScreenHunter_3291 May. 15 10.02.jpg

When I was poor all I wanted was money. I learned about want vs. need when I was poor.

As soon as I had the wealth to do whatever I wanted, somehow the wants weren't as exciting and sexy, and had a problem spending money on "things". The value and desires were somehow less now that I could have anything.

I enjoy that my money means my family won't have to worry for generations, and my closest friends (4) will never have to worry too much as I helped them pay off mortgages and cars and put money aside for their children to go to school freeingup for them to save. This was the meaning of wealth, and it didn't really include my desires, which diminished, but, rather what it meant to those around me and my community.

I'm tighter with my money now, more than when I was young and dumb and had but a penny to my name.

When I was poor all I wanted was money. I learned about want vs. need when I was poor.

As soon as I had the wealth to do whatever I wanted, somehow the wants weren't as exciting and sexy, and had a problem spending money on "things". The value and desires were somehow less now that I could have anything.

I enjoy that my money means my family won't have to worry for generations, and my closest friends (4) will never have to worry too much as I helped them pay off mortgages and cars and put money aside for their children to go to school freeingup for them to save. This was the meaning of wealth, and it didn't really include my desires, which diminished, but, rather what it meant to those around me and my community.

I'm tighter with my money now, more than when I was young and dumb and had but a penny to my name.

That's really interesting. I'd like to test your hypothesis. Can you send me a large sum of money?

It is interesting how one's financial status effects their view of money and what is a large sum of money. Whenever I've met people I know are super wealthy I've thought to myself, if this guy gave me just 100k I could pay off my house, be debt free in no time and he'd never miss it, lol. What's life changing for some is a drop in the bucket to others. Interesting discussion.

Reactions: tennvols77
It is interesting how one's financial status effects their view of money and what is a large sum of money. Whenever I've met people I know are super wealthy I've thought to myself, if this guy gave me just 100k I could pay off my house, be debt free in no time and he'd never miss it, lol. What's life changing for some is a drop in the bucket to others. Interesting discussion.

That was my feeling with my closest friends, guys I have known my entire life like brothers. I told them I'd do all I could to help, most importantly are the mortgage and cars and college tuition, the big three for any family. But, they had to make the deal by agreeing that saving the money they are now able to, is the priority. That money was their extra retirement fund.

They all were beyond grateful to say the least, but, even when we were young they would have gone through a brick wall for me and me for them.

It was one of the happiest days of my life when I decided to do this. I have a place in St. Maarten, flew them down with their families, and over adult dinner told them what I was planning. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Man, it was one the best days in my life.

That was my feeling with my closest friends, guys I have known my entire life like brothers. I told them I'd do all I could to help, most importantly are the mortgage and cars and college tuition, the big three for any family. But, they had to make the deal by agreeing that saving the money they are now able to, is the priority. That money was their extra retirement fund.

They all were beyond grateful to say the least, but, even when we were young they would have gone through a brick wall for me and me for them.

It was one of the happiest days of my life when I decided to do this. I have a place in St. Maarten, flew them down with their families, and over adult dinner told them what I was planning. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Man, it was one the best days in my life.
That's awesome!

Reactions: tennvols77

VN Store

Back