Ranking ACC and SEC football coaches from No. 1 Dabo Swinney to No. 28 Willie Taggart

Saban is #1 and it's not even close. Its program takes a dump on Dabo's. If Clemson played in the SEC then they wouldn't need slides in the football complex. Wouldn't be any time to use it. Also look for Pruitt to shoot up this list come fall.

I disagree. Dabo has won 2 of the last 3 natys and 2 of the last 3 against bammer, and absolutely beat the hell out of them this year. The conference last year was bammer and maybe uga and not much else. The bowl record wasn't that great. I will grant that the ACC is still softer than the SEC, but after you get past the top couple of teams the SEC didn't have great depth last year. Now Clemson might have dropped a game or two early in the season, they did just barely beat Texas A&M and struggled against Syracuse (due to a QB injury), but though I hate to admit it, I agree with what Paul Finebaum said the other day, that Clemson by beating the SECs best the way they did kind of proved they could win in the SEC.

And Saban has 5 natys at bammer, give Dabo a chance, he might get there. But if you look at where they are right now, at this moment, then yeah Dabo is ahead of Saban.

I do agree that Pruitt can shoot up this fall, and I hope it happens.

Saban built LSU. Won a NC. Then rebuilt Alabama into the greatest modern day dynasty the college football world has ever seen.

There really is no argument to be made. Saban is the king until further notice.

Disagree. Like I said in another post, it's more what have you done for me lately. Dabo has won the last 2/3 against bammer and 2/3 national championships, so in this moment he is ahead of Saban.

The author didn't say he was looking at all time greats, or he might have included General Neyland and Bear Bryant. If you want to look at lifetime accomplishments, then of course Saban comes out ahead, but that's not what this list was, it's "who is best here and now". And given the beat down Dabo just put on Saban, there can hardly be a doubt that it's Dabo.

I disagree. Dabo has won 2 of the last 3 natys and 2 of the last 3 against bammer, and absolutely beat the hell out of them this year. The conference last year was bammer and maybe uga and not much else. The bowl record wasn't that great. I will grant that the ACC is still softer than the SEC, but after you get past the top couple of teams the SEC didn't have great depth last year. Now Clemson might have dropped a game or two early in the season, they did just barely beat Texas A&M and struggled against Syracuse (due to a QB injury), but though I hate to admit it, I agree with what Paul Finebaum said the other day, that Clemson by beating the SECs best the way they did kind of proved they could win in the SEC.

And Saban has 5 natys at bammer, give Dabo a chance, he might get there. But if you look at where they are right now, at this moment, then yeah Dabo is ahead of Saban.

I do agree that Pruitt can shoot up this fall, and I hope it happens.
Why only go back 3 years? They are 2-2 the last four years, including 2017 when Dabo's team couldn't even get past the 50 yard line against Bama in the playoffs.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Disagree. Like I said in another post, it's more what have you done for me lately. Dabo has won the last 2/3 against bammer and 2/3 national championships, so in this moment he is ahead of Saban.

The author didn't say he was looking at all time greats, or he might have included General Neyland and Bear Bryant. If you want to look at lifetime accomplishments, then of course Saban comes out ahead, but that's not what this list was, it's "who is best here and now". And given the beat down Dabo just put on Saban, there can hardly be a doubt that it's Dabo.

Did the author limit his results to just last year or odd numbered years? "Lately" is open ended.

Everyone likes to jump on 2 of the last 3 years conveniently leaving off the 4th year. Its silly to say "there's no doubt" when over the last 4 seasons they both have 2 NCs a piece.

Dabo is closing the gap quickly but Saban is still 1.

Reactions: KBVol
Why only go back 3 years? They are 2-2 the last four years, including 2017 when Dabo's team couldn't even get past the 50 yard line against Bama in the playoffs.
Because it destroys the idea that Dabo is without a doubt better.

The last 4 seasons they have returned each others serve the following season.

Switch the 2 and see. Sabansucked at Michigan st. He’s at a freaking shingle schoo!!

Dabo 1st Head coaching job and look what he has accomplished in 10 yrs.
Saban didn’t “suck” at Michigan St. Was 34-24 there, his last season had em at 10-2, finished ranked #7 in the country. That ain’t sucking.

Next, he rolled into Baton Rouge and went 48-16 with a natty.

Currently, he’s 146-21 at Alabama with 800 national titles.

Come on man, hate the guy all you want, but he’s the best head coach in college football history.

Btw, as I mentioned, Saban is 146-30 with 5 national titles in his 12 years at Alabama. In the 12 years preceding his arrival at Bama, the Tide was 85-61 with no championships and 4 losing seasons, including a 3-win and 4-win season. I’m not sure what a “freaking shingle school” is, all I know is that Alabama was pretty damn average before he got there, and they’re now a freaking college football dynasty with him as the head coach.

Reactions: volgrad500
Keep moving the goalposts? You said MSU was always terrible, I proved that Mullen’s record could be matched, and already had, with better results in the league. If counting Fla, then I guess it’s ok to say Sherrill won 10 games 6x. Still waiting for Mullen to win, anything.

Not moving the goalposts. Mullen still accomplished more at MSU than any coach prior including Sherrill because of the division he was competing in. The balance of Sherrill’s tenure in Starkville is filled with losing seasons, Mullen’s isn’t.

Reactions: KBVol and Devo182
Did the author limit his results to just last year or odd numbered years? "Lately" is open ended.

Everyone likes to jump on 2 of the last 3 years conveniently leaving off the 4th year. Its silly to say "there's no doubt" when over the last 4 seasons they both have 2 NCs a piece.

Dabo is closing the gap quickly but Saban is still 1.

Like I said in another response, its clear the author is ranking the coaches at this moment in time, and not considering history. No one would argue that Dabo is better than Saban over their respective histories (but give him time and he might be better). Disagree with the author's approach, but it is what it is. And if you don't want to go back 3 year, 4 years, whatever, go back 4 months. Right now Dabo is better than Saban.

And while I acknowledge Saban's success, he still hasn't surpassed Bear Bryant, although he took less time to get to 6 natys. And then there is a guy named Knute Rockne that was pretty good also.

Another thing about Saban. Anyone could win with back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back no. 1 recruiting classes. Hell, I could probably win at least one national championship with the talent bammer has year in and year out. So he's primarily a recruiter.

And if what I believe to be true ever hits the light of day, bammer will go down hard. They have been cheating - okay everyone cheats - well beyond the national average for cheating for years and years. If they ever get caught, people will wonder how winning all those back to back recruiting no. 1 classes didn't look suspicious. Just like when Lance Armstrong finally got caught cheating, people looked back and said "well DUH! I guess winning 6 straight Tour de France races after recovering from cancer did seem a bit shady in retrospect". Such a moment may come for bammer one day, if there is any justice in this universe. :)

I don't even see how Dan Mullen vs Jackie Sherrill is a debate. Mullen had a much better record than Sherrill at Miss State in spite of playing much tougher competition.

Mullen went to 8 bowl games in 9 seasons. Sherrill went to 5 in 13 seasons.

Mullen won 61% of his games. Sherrill won 50%.

Mullen had to deal with Nick Saban at Bama as well as an LSU program routinely in the top 10. Sherrill coached the bulk of his time at Miss State in the weakest SEC West of the past 40 years.

Mullen typically had to play 4 - 6 top 25 teams in a season. Sherrill typically played 2-3.

Dan Mullen is easily the best coach in Miss State history.

Like I said in another response, its clear the author is ranking the coaches at this moment in time, and not considering history. No one would argue that Dabo is better than Saban over their respective histories (but give him time and he might be better). Disagree with the author's approach, but it is what it is. And if you don't want to go back 3 year, 4 years, whatever, go back 4 months. Right now Dabo is better than Saban.

And while I acknowledge Saban's success, he still hasn't surpassed Bear Bryant, although he took less time to get to 6 natys. And then there is a guy named Knute Rockne that was pretty good also.

Another thing about Saban. Anyone could win with back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back no. 1 recruiting classes. Hell, I could probably win at least one national championship with the talent bammer has year in and year out. So he's primarily a recruiter.

And if what I believe to be true ever hits the light of day, bammer will go down hard. They have been cheating - okay everyone cheats - well beyond the national average for cheating for years and years. If they ever get caught, people will wonder how winning all those back to back recruiting no. 1 classes didn't look suspicious. Just like when Lance Armstrong finally got caught cheating, people looked back and said "well DUH! I guess winning 6 straight Tour de France races after recovering from cancer did seem a bit shady in retrospect". Such a moment may come for bammer one day, if there is any justice in this universe. :)

Right now? neither have played a game in 4 months outside a spring scrimmage. The idea is a moving target based on where you want to stop the clock. No one was claiming Dabo was remotely close to Saban or even Meyer after his 1st NC just because he had won 1 more recently than than either of those 2 had.

Saban has essentially equaled Bryant in a decade and half less time. If he quit tomorrow, what he did and how it happened is more impressive than what Bryant did. And that says a lot.

Recruiting is part of being a coach. There's a reason Bama wasn't recruiting at that clip before he got there. And it was followed by the same reason they were not winning at the same one. Dabo isn't winning NCs with scrubs either.

The idea that Saban is primarily just a recruiter is silly. The finished product (team and individual) says otherwise.

So, Dabo is #1 because he has a win in the last 4 months? I can only assume 128 coaches are tied at 2nd, as they're all 0-0 in that same span, while Saban's 0-1 record lands him at #130.

Makes sense.

Year 2 will be very interesting.
I believe we will be much improved and CJP will have a MUCH better year than year 1.

Definitely hope so but didn’t see vast improvement from last year’s spring game and this year’s if I’m being honest.... I know springs games are not perfect reflections but was a little disappointed with the offensive line still and similar an play imo.

Our ADs really screwed up guys!!!

We could have had #8 on this list DAVE DOEREN! GOSH WHAT A SWING AND A MISS. NOW WE ARE STUCK WITH #24 JEREMY "CAN'T DO IT" PRUITT. CAN'T HIRE AN OC, A DC, S&C, NO RECRUITERS ON STAFF AND CAN'T BEAT RANKED OPPONENTS. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE HIRE WHEN WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN A FUTURE HOFer DAVE DOEREN Y'ALL!

Given he is winning at Clemson, not Bama, and is now 2-2 vs Saban and his string of #1 recruiting classes, I would actually say Dabo is better. Saban is the better recruiter. But we are ranking coaching, not recruiting, right?

Reactions: BanditVol
Complete crap rankings. All they are doing is taking last year's records and assuming that's where a coach should be ranked. I don't know where Pruitt should be but it's not #24.

Fwiw, I'd take Pruitt without hesitation over Dave Doeren, Pat Narduzzi, Mark Stoops, Barry Odom, Ed Orgeron, Steve Addazio, and Derek Mason.

I'd probably rank Pruitt somewhere in the #8 - #12 range right now between the ACC / SEC. Until he proves otherwise, he's behind Dabo, Saban, Mullen, Kirby, Jimbo, Cutcliffe, and Dave Clawson. He in the same range as Moorhead, Malzahn, Dino, Bronco, Muschamp, and Fuente for now.

Exactly. How can the author not give credit for all these amazing hires and retention of top staff? That is worth quite a bit imo. Yes, it needs to translate to wins, but how is this not even mentioned? We had to have had a top-5 offseason going by hires. Though I might give the crown actually to ole Willy. Hiring Briles was the absolute nuts. But Willy still sucks and Pruitt does not.

I don't have many issues with the rankings (including Pruitts ranking) but Mullen over Kirby and Jimbo is ridiculous.

Why? He has done really good things at one of the worst programs in America. Kirby has recruited his way to wins, but his first 3 years record is identical to Richt's so far. 8-5 his first year. Mullen walked right in to a 4-win team and got them to 10 in year 1. That is very impressive, on top of his winning at MSU. Jimbo is pretty solid too, but he left FSU in absolute shambles and was getting OWNED by Dabo. Gotta knock him some for that.

I don't even see how Dan Mullen vs Jackie Sherrill is a debate. Mullen had a much better record than Sherrill at Miss State in spite of playing much tougher competition.

Mullen went to 8 bowl games in 9 seasons. Sherrill went to 5 in 13 seasons.

Mullen won 61% of his games. Sherrill won 50%.

Mullen had to deal with Nick Saban at Bama as well as an LSU program routinely in the top 10. Sherrill coached the bulk of his time at Miss State in the weakest SEC West of the past 40 years.

Mullen typically had to play 4 - 6 top 25 teams in a season. Sherrill typically played 2-3.

Dan Mullen is easily the best coach in Miss State history.

Truth. But people can't handle it because he's UF's coach now. But he is really, really good at what he does. He's an elite playcaller. He took a TERRIBLE offense and churned out 35 ppg this past year. I only wish we had such a good playcaller on our side. He's a legit competitive advantage.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Not moving the goalposts. Mullen still accomplished more at MSU than any coach prior including Sherrill because of the division he was competing in. The balance of Sherrill’s tenure in Starkville is filled with losing seasons, Mullen’s isn’t.
What did he accomplish at MSU?
Sherrill actually won the division.
Did Mullen?

Our ADs really screwed up guys!!!

We could have had #8 on this list DAVE DOEREN! GOSH WHAT A SWING AND A MISS. NOW WE ARE STUCK WITH #24 JEREMY "CAN'T DO IT" PRUITT. CAN'T HIRE AN OC, A DC, S&C, NO RECRUITERS ON STAFF AND CAN'T BEAT RANKED OPPONENTS. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE HIRE WHEN WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN A FUTURE HOFer DAVE DOEREN Y'ALL!
You seem upset lol

Reactions: Devo182
What did he accomplish at MSU?
Sherrill actually won the division.
Did Mullen?

In fairness, Sherrill won the division in one of the worst years, if not the absolute worst year, in the West's history. No team won 10 games, and only one (Arkansas) finished ranked. Mullen's entire tenure came when the West was the best division in all of college football.

Not taking a side, but it speaks volumes about the sad state of our program that the vast majority of the posts in this thread are Vol fans arguing whether Saban or Dabo is the better coach.

When I think how far we have fallen, I just want to sit down......

So, Dabo is #1 because he has a win in the last 4 months? I can only assume 128 coaches are tied at 2nd, as they're all 0-0 in that same span, while Saban's 0-1 record lands him at #130.

Makes sense.

Yes. Think about it some more, it will make sense. I know you bammers need some extra time, but given where you went to school that's understandable.

The idea that Saban is primarily just a recruiter is silly. The finished product (team and individual) says otherwise.

No it isn't. Their success in recruiting is unparalled. No one else has even come close. Even in his heyday at USC, with rappers on the sidelines and the southern Cal vibe going for him, Pete Carroll didn't match Saban's success, and oh yeah, he had a run just as good as Saban though not as long. Because HE got caught. And like I said, maybe one day the cheaters down in Tuscaloosa will get caught also, but I'm not holding my breath.

VN Store

Back