Vandy Loss = Pruitt Sucks

Neyland Law Vol

I keep hearing this over and over. "Pruitt isn't the answer. He lost to Vandy. No coach worth the job gets beat by Vandy!"

In general I agree - Losses to Vandy aren't acceptable. But you cannot judge coaches based on year one results.
  1. Year One Kirby Smart at UGA (with loaded roster) - lost to Vandy also.
  2. The classic example (year one Saban at Bama lost to La. Monroe).
You can't judge CJP good or bad based on his year one results.

Year 2 is a different story. Let's see what happens. If he has a chance to be good we should see some improvement this season. But when judging year two you have to take the starting point (4-8 in 2017). I think 7-5 in 2019 will be a good step - with 8-4 being a very positive sign.

But please no more references to "he lost to vandy so he sucks".

No excuses for losses this year to teams with less talent, our 2nds and 3rds should be coached up enough to hold their own vs the bottom feeders.
What about the annual excuse of injuries that have been used for over the past decade and a half?

Fulmer milked that one and so did Butch.

I keep hearing this over and over. "Pruitt isn't the answer. He lost to Vandy. No coach worth the job gets beat by Vandy!"

In general I agree - Losses to Vandy aren't acceptable. But you cannot judge coaches based on year one results.

Year 2 is a different story. Let's see what happens. If he has a chance to be good we should see some improvement this season. But when judging year two you have to take the starting point (4-8 in 2017). I think 7-5 in 2019 will be a good step - with 8-4 being a very positive sign.

Why did you go make a thread about it then. Saban lost to Louisana Monroe his first year. That type of talk is what grade school kids do. He lost to vandy he is no good automatically??? This type of stuff is so stupid just like the start of this thread quite frankly, you start a thread with that title and then proceed to preach about something that 95% percent of us all ready new. GBO!!!! Go Pruitt and staff!

This same argument first appeared for Dooley...then Butch...and now Pruitt.

I hope the third time’s a charm.

Reactions: 08Vol and RollerVol

It's not that he just lost to Vandy, he got destroyed by Vandy And when that's the game that determines Bowl eligibility that's concerning. South Carolina loss didn't help either.

year one Saban at Bama lost to La. Monroe

Let us pause to appreciate the P40s taking it to Bama at Tuscaloosa. Once, the Warhawks had to play a home game at a stadium other than their own to avoid dropping below requisite annual FBS attendance numbers. Yeah, some will spin it as the listless Tide's embarrassing loss ("They lost that game more than ULM won it."), but let a smile be on your face. Be happy for ULM. After all, they are not North Texas (10/25/75).

No excuses for losses this year to teams with less talent, our 2nds and 3rds should be coached up enough to hold their own vs the bottom feeders.
Then I guess your beef for last year was the coaching staff that did not get the team in the proper position to succeed. The team was horrid the year before last. That is not on Pruitt. Let's see if there is significant improvement this year. Although, members of the miserable minority will find something to complain about I am sure.

Reactions: tobybeast
This same argument first appeared for Dooley...then Butch...and now Pruitt.

I hope the third time’s a charm.
So, how would you have rated Johnny Majors his first few years?

The problem is that we are the bottom feeders, I hate this but it is true. We have been the worst or next to worst team in the east for several years. We are not more talented that than most teams in the east even this year, but we are catching up and this coaching staff is the best we have had since Fulmer. I don't say these words lightly. I have been a Vols fan most of my life and I am getting old.

And who decides who has the better talent? At which positions are the teams better? What is the experience of the team, Oline .Dline. QB, punter, kicker: where are the holes? Many questions lead to who has the most talent. Most championship teams have superior talent on the Oline Dline. QB, defensive backs who can play man , at least two good running backs, fast /quick LB, WRs who can get open and block a punter who averages over 41 yds/pt, and a kicker who hits 75% of field goals and puts kickoffs in th end zone. I think I covered most of the positions on a football team. Bama and Clemson seem to fit those requirements. thank goodness who only have to play Bama during the regular season. I would like to play Bama twice a year ,win half of those games, and play Clemson 2-3 times in any five year period. I don't think think we can do that this year, but we are likely to be there by 2021 or 2020. I look forward to the next 10-15 years of Tennessee football.

What about the annual excuse of injuries that have been used for over the past decade and a half?

Fulmer milked that one and so did Butch.
I got attacked for saying that injury rates above the norm were products of the HC's program and decisions. Later when Jones was fired... that became a popular theme.

Injuries can hurt a team. All teams have abnormal years when higher than avg injuries occur... but they also have years with low injuries. When a HC (like Jones) goes 4 or 5 years with higher injury rates, it is him.

I got attacked for saying that injury rates above the norm were products of the HC's program and decisions. Later when Jones was fired... that became a popular theme.

Injuries can hurt a team. All teams have abnormal years when higher than avg injuries occur... but they also have years with low injuries. When a HC (like Jones) goes 4 or 5 years with higher injury rates, it is him.

You were right on this.

VN Store

Back