‘20 NC PG Jalen Cone

That’s not a fanbase thing, that a Barnes thing. He’s the one who openly pined that he preferred UT over UCLA. Blame Barnes not the fanbase
I don't think I used the term fanbase in my post. I was actually agreeing that Barnes comments in his presser and the aftermath created a cloud over the program. and to quote you 'it certainly doesn't help recruiting'. My focus was on Social media where kids get their News these days.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I don't think I used the term fanbase in my post. I was actually agreeing that Barnes comments in his presser and the aftermath created a cloud over the program. and to quote you 'it certainly doesn't help recruiting'. My focus was on Social media where kids get their News these days.

Fair enough.

I would say that lack of PT as a frosh also plays a factor. There’s already two PG’s on the roster and you know Bowden is gonna get 30 mpg.

Reactions: calban
Fair enough.

I would say that lack of PT as a frosh also plays a factor. There’s already two PG’s on the roster and you know Bowden is gonna get 30 mpg.

Bingo and if I am Va Tech I am making sure he knows Springer is our top choice in the next class as well

Meh this is more about a school that worked hard recruiting this kid in his original class making him a priority and one that didn't. The reclassification thing just tells this kid we want you this year but we really don't next
He was one of our first...maybe the first, identified and pursued 2020 PG by this staff. He has been a priority. I think we'd be happy to have him in 19 or 20. Saying we want him in 19 tells me we think so highly of you that we want you a year early because we think you can make an impact, now.

He was one of our first...maybe the first, identified and pursued 2020 PG by this staff. He has been a priority. I think we'd be happy to have him in 19 or 20. Saying we want him in 19 tells me we think so highly of you that we want you a year early because we think you can make an impact, now.

I respect what you guys are saying but the numbers and needs suggest to me this kid was a backup plan to Springer. We never were going to take this kid unless we missed on Springer

We just have to many needs on bigs to load up on the guards

And for To'oto'o, Alabama is paying Saban $8.3 million to come in second to Tennessee? Clemson, USC...Ok, but Tennessee?

Recruiting is like that sometimes.
Recruiting in basketball and football are different, plus getting paid top 5 money. You don’t come in second to VT

Reactions: Catbone
I respect what you guys are saying but the numbers and needs suggest to me this kid was a backup plan to Springer. We never were going to take this kid unless we missed on Springer

But it would seem like taking Cone this year could hurt you with Springer next year if the idea is that he is solely a PG. Like BTO said, Springer is much more a combo guard than strictly a PG. And I'd bet if we land Springer, we still actively and heavily pursue a pure PG in 2020.

But it would seem like taking Cone this year could hurt you with Springer next year if the idea is that he is solely a PG. Like BTO said, Springer is much more a combo guard than strictly a PG. And I'd bet if we land Springer, we still actively and heavily pursue a pure PG in 2020.

When the board was formed for the 20 class we had 4 spots opening up with turner williams, Bone and Bowden leaving as seniors. We all know Barnes doesn't over sign wrecklessly so it's very hard for me to believe that we targeted taking 4 guys with walker being the only big. Just not room imo

The wildcard in this is if the staff thinks james is one and done but I doubt that's the case

When the board was formed for the 20 class we had 4 spots opening up with turner williams, Bone and Bowden leaving as seniors. We all know Barnes doesn't over sign wrecklessly so it's very hard for me to believe that we targeted taking 4 guys with walker being the only big. Just not room imo

The wildcard in this is if the staff thinks james is one and done but I doubt that's the case
I agree, which is why the recruiting board has seemed skewed to me. Very little movement with many bigs. But I think when that board was created, the idea was that Grant was a 4 year player. The paradigm has shifted a bit. PJ Hall, Walker, Johnson, Springer, Cone seemed very possible, as did the idea that another scholarship would open up to facilitate that extra spot.

I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t at least take his official to Tennessee. He’s been to Tennessee unofficially, but I don’t think that’ll be enough unfortunately. Virginia Tech beating us out for a recruit is laughable to me though because Knoxville over their campus, I know our facilities are better, and play for a coach who has coached multiple NBA players not a coach who could possibly jump ship if he does well. There’s a reason Buzz Williams left to go to Texas A&M, and it’s because you’re very limited at a school like Tech. With how much we are paying Barnes and his assistants we are showing that we are not limited in basketball. The sky is the limit at Tennessee in basketball and Football IMO. I just don’t see how a recruit could pick Tech over Tennessee, but it’s not my decision so oh well.
Did you really just make a long paragraph post on a NARRATIVE that u made up when you or anyone besides Mr. Cone know where he’s going? I mean can we atleast stay positive.. he’s made an unofficial visit, so he’s made his mind up.. u don’t know what school he’s choosing nor the circumstances that surrounds his choice.. even if he do choose to stay closer home, the young man do have a CHILD, so that cud play out as reasoning too.. but until he make the decision, let’s keep the narratives in the fairytale book

Just no way to take them all. If we use these spots this year on bigs the spots aren't there
If we take 2 bigs like we are looking at that leaves 3 spots for fall signing class, no? If we have room for Cone in 2019 and don’t fill it or take a graduate transfer we still have room in 2020.

Reactions: The Dog

I’m not sure why you keep saying that, but Springer is definitely not a PG...and with losing Turner and Bowden you definitely need more than just Springer.

Yup, it’s why Vols are heavy after Cam Hayes for 2020.

VN Store

Back