Why do some think Bailey will start in 2020?

Peyton Manning would not have started his freshman year due to a seasoned senior QB, whose injury opened the door for him.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
He steps on campus as the heaviest, tallest QB on the roster. Steps on campus as the most polished passer on the roster, with the strongest arm of all the guys on the roster(JT may have a stronger arm). He definitely has a inside track at making it happen.
Hes 1 inch taller and 10 lbs havier than Maurer. Not a big difference. Most polished? I feel like that can be argued when Maurer didn't miss a single mark from the pocket or otherwise in the O&W game. If you look at Maurers tape it shows him doing all the same things as Bailey but with the added bonus of doing it on the run in some cases. The difference? Maurer did what he put on tape without a top 10 team surrounding him. I'll concede that Bailey MAY have a stronger arm but that may not be entirely accurate in itself. Idk. I do know that each of the qbs can easily throw it over 60 yrds which will only be needed once a game in the final seconds and down by a td or less. So for 47 min and 50 seconds that strong arm will be unnecessary.

I gotta give you credit though. You're the first one to ever step up and point out something specific. And no disrespect at all.... you may be right. Who knows?

I understand that. And it'll continue even with the next qb. I get it. I don't have anything against any of them. JG has his faults as they all do. And Im not interested in creating any arguments. Im just curious to see what someone will say in their defense to support their opinion of what makes Bailey better than Maurer for example. Every time ive asked someone that question ive gotten crickets. So I thought I would ask on here.

Moving in the pocket is huge.
I don’t see JG having awareness or being able to move in the pocket well.
This honestly separates the great qb from a bad one. He must get better at this.

Maurer moves in the pocket very well. It’s why I think he has a lot of potential.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Hes 1 inch taller and 10 lbs havier than Maurer. Not a big difference. Most polished? I feel like that can be argued when Maurer didn't miss a single mark from the pocket or otherwise in the O&W game. If you look at Maurers tape it shows him doing all the same things as Bailey but with the added bonus of doing it on the run in some cases. The difference? Maurer did what he put on tape without a top 10 team surrounding him. I'll concede that Bailey MAY have a stronger arm but that may not be entirely accurate in itself. Idk. I do know that each of the qbs can easily throw it over 60 yrds which will only be needed once a game in the final seconds and down by a td or less. So for 47 min and 50 seconds that strong arm will be unnecessary.

I gotta give you credit though. You're the first one to ever step up and point out something specific. And no disrespect at all.... you may be right. Who knows?
Bailey at one point pushed 240lbs, he's actively trying to slim down to address the mobility knock. He's also closer to 6'5 than he is 6'4. And although Bailey plays at Marietta you sgould check that loaded schedule they played last season. Pretty much every team outside of conference games was a national top25 team so that's a moot point. Bailey's career yardage and tds laps Mauer's BEFORE he even attempts a pass his SR year. I like BM, but Bailey has Trevor Lawrence type of talent. No one is keeping him on the bench. Just bad timing for BM to only be seperated by one class. You'll change your tune once Bailey lights up the Elite11 this summer.

Every d-1 qb can throw the ball over 60 yards....

He threw two interceptions.

Reactions: KBVol and Volfan76
Bailey at one point pushed 240lbs, he's actively trying to slim down to address the mobility knock. He's also closer to 6'5 than he is 6'4. And although Bailey plays at Marietta you sgould check that loaded schedule they played last season. Pretty much every team outside of conference games was a national top25 team so that's a moot point. Bailey's career yardage and tds laps Mauer's BEFORE he even attempts a pass his SR year. I like BM, but Bailey has Trevor Lawrence type of talent. No one is keeping him on the bench. Just bad timing for BM to only be seperated by one class. You'll change your tune once Bailey lights up the Elite11 this summer.
BM lit up "The Opening " as well. And from what I've read he put on 11 lbs since Jan and also closer to 6'4 than the 6'3 they have him listed. But measurables don't make you better. Im on the opposite side looking at the fact that Maurer was the only player on his hs team that coaches and players had to game plan for and they still couldn't stop him. That says more to me than a player that had an entire roster of d1 prospects to help him. And the last I checked he hasn't "lapped" him in any category. According to max preps hes already played the equivalent of Maurer due to his playing as a freshman where Maurer did not. He has a total of 6 more passing tds but Maurer has 10 more rushing tds. Hes around the same in yardage. Equivalent comp%. I read an artical about a yr ago talking about BMs junior yr. He had 11 passes dropped that would've tds that yr. His team averaged 10 drops a game and 6 of his ints that yr were tip drills that bounced off the receivers hands. And that yrs stats was the main reason they never gave him his 4th star in the writters opinion. Point is the stats are very close outside of ints and rushing. The difference is one did it without a good team where the other did it with one. To me that speaks volumes.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Every d-1 qb can throw the ball over 60 yards....
I just can't believe he thinks arm strength only comes into play when you are chucking it 60+ yards down field. Maybe if Maurer had a stronger arm he could get away with throwing late into traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: spyfish007
BM lit up "The Opening " as well. And from what I've read he put on 11 lbs since Jan and also closer to 6'4 than the 6'3 they have him listed. But measurables don't make you better. Im on the opposite side looking at the fact that Maurer was the only player on his hs team that coaches and players had to game plan for and they still couldn't stop him. That says more to me than a player that had an entire roster of d1 prospects to help him. And the last I checked he hasn't "lapped" him in any category. According to max preps hes already played the equivalent of Maurer due to his playing as a freshman where Maurer did not. He has a total of 6 more passing tds but Maurer has 10 more rushing tds. Hes around the same in yardage. Equivalent comp%. I read an artical about a yr ago talking about BMs junior yr. He had 11 passes dropped that would've tds that yr. His team averaged 10 drops a game and 6 of his ints that yr were tip drills that bounced off the receivers hands. And that yrs stats was the main reason they never gave him his 4th star in the writters opinion. Point is the stats are very close outside of ints and rushing. The difference is one did it without a good team where the other did it with one. To me that speaks volumes.
BM didn't light up anything. He didn't even start on his 7on7 team and placed 5th in a weak QB class with the Elite11 staff. If Bailey places 5th(in a star studded class may I add) then it would be a big dissapointment. And as far as your stats, are you aware Bailey played like 5 games last season? Lapped like I said

Everybody else’s fault!
The first one was no one's fault but his (BM). The second one was Keyton giving up on the play. He made no attempt to fight for a 50/50 ball that we all know would've been a completed pass if the target were Calloway, Jennings or Palmer.

The first one was no one's fault but his (BM). The second one was Keyton giving up on the play. He made no attempt to fight for a 50/50 ball that we all know would've been a completed pass if the target were Calloway, Jennings or Palmer.
Keyton was streaking up the field with a safety fighting to get over top. Don't people get mad at JG for turning those into 50/50 balls? Luckily for Keyton his highschool QB will be here shortly to put the ball where he's accustomed to it being, out front with a clear path to pay dirt.

BM didn't light up anything. He didn't even start on his 7on7 team and placed 5th in a weak QB class with the Elite11 staff. If Bailey places 5th(in a star studded class may I add) then it would be a big dissapointment. And as far as your stats, are you aware Bailey played like 5 games last season? Lapped like I said
Oh my fault. Just looked it up. Bailey is 3000 yrds shy of Maurer. Bailey 46 tds/Maurer 64. Lapped? If you say so. Look man. You're getting bent out of shape. I was only asking a question for a FRIENDLY debate. Im not looking to insult any of these qbs and that's where this conversation is headed so I'll kindly check out. Have a good night

Oh my fault. Just looked it up. Bailey is 3000 yrds shy of Maurer. Bailey 46 tds/Maurer 64. Lapped? If you say so. Look man. You're getting bent out of shape. I was only asking a question for a FRIENDLY debate. Im not looking to insult any of these qbs and that's where this conversation is headed so I'll kindly check out. Have a good night
Just took a look myself, impressive that you left off BM attempted more than 500 more passes. And I'm not bent out of shape, as long as one of them is elite I'm game. Smart money is on Bailey though. BM has a long ways to go, even from competing against elite guys. Yes his HS team was pathetic, but so was their competition. Bailey plays a national schedule against D1 loaded rosters

Funny you bring that up because he was overlooked by the "experts" and fans. That's actually the entire point of asking those who think that to be specific and not just look at ranking coming out of hs

He would still be viewed the same way today had the patriots not drafted him (a backup).

Considering the seemingly endless posts making JG out to be the worst QB to every pick up a football, I’d say most of the board doesn’t have the first clue about how to evaluate a quarterback

Of course, we have some on here that thinks JG walks on water (even with cement feet)....

System qb that’s made a living throwing check downs to his running backs. And for supposedly not having ANY marquee WRs to throw to, all I’ve seen is him throwing to wide open little guys all over the field. He’s great at quickly knowing where to go with the ball (especially 2 yards behind and beyond the LOS) after being in the same system for 20 years, and he’s accurate.....but I agree Behr, he ain’t the GOAT. He’s one of the all-time greats, but he ain’t it. Not sure you could say anyone truly is.

This is the best post I’ve read about the so called goat in this site. Spot on. Dink and dunk qb with no mobility that rarely has to make a difficult pass. Great oline, possession receivers coaching schemes. Matt cassell and jimmy G. Agree. I’m still pretty sure my mother could complete 50% of her passes in that system. Uh oh. Here we go again. Looking forward to butchna and Boston homers defending this clown again. We had about 10000 posts a few months ago without any consensus.

Reactions: KBVol
Just took a look myself, impressive that you left off BM attempted more than 500 more passes. And I'm not bent out of shape, as long as one of them is elite I'm game. Smart money is on Bailey though. BM has a long ways to go, even from competing against elite guys. Yes his HS team was pathetic, but so was their competition. Bailey plays a national schedule against D1 loaded rosters

I left off quite a few things such as the additional 14 rushing tds and nearly 1000 yrds. The point was you said Bm was "lapped" before HB ever takes the field. When in fact hes not even close. Hes 18 tds behind and given the fact that he doesn't run hell have to throw 32 tds to even match BM. Its doable and I'll agree that it'll be close by season end but overall stats are extremely close given the fact they are 2 totally different qbs. That all being said ask yourself if HB could put up the numbers he does behind BMs hs o line? I think I know your answer if you're honest.

And yes HB does put up those numbers against d1 caliber teams. I'll give you that . But he also plays on a d1 caliber team himself. It balances out. Which was part of your argument above. You can't use it to put one on a pedestal while using the same argument to bury another. Its like people talking about BM only looking good because he was playing against the 2s. Yes that's true. He was also playing behind the #2 o line, throwing to the #2 recievers and handing the ball to the #2 back. Being with the #2s had no effect on his pocket awareness or ball placement and THAT'S what impressed so many people.

Of coarse hes thrown 500 more passes. Hes a season ahead man! Lol. Do the math. He was their only player so yes they rallied behind him. Which only helps strengthen my point. He averaged 45 passes a game and STILL had a 65% competition percentage behind a o line that makes UTs look like all pro. #consistancy

VN Store

Back